===[COMMITTED]=== Gaul Farmstead

Stan`

It all looks very clean to me. Gallic buildings can use a lot more organic shapes. Nothing perfectly straight or round. It will cost more polies, but that's not so bad for a building.

The building itself looks quite big for its footprint though. Can you compare with other farms? I have no idea if it's going the right direction, as I don't know the wanted direction. That's something for the art team.

BEAUTIFUL!

Thank You ! =)

Probably shorten up the main section a bit.

It all looks very clean to me. Gallic buildings can use a lot more organic shapes. Nothing perfectly straight or round. It will cost more polies, but that's not so bad for a building.

The building itself looks quite big for its footprint though. Can you compare with other farms? I have no idea if it's going the right direction, as I don't know the wanted direction. That's something for the art team.

1388447783-gaulfarmstead-2-31.png

What about now ? =) Also the wall at the back is rounded not square.

Edited by stanislas69
  • Like 1

This picture may help with the dimensions. It is from Open-Air Archaeological Museum Liptovska Mara - Havranok, Slovakia. Reconstructed shape of Celtic (La Tène) farmstead from the Upper Iron Age (300-100 B.C.)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/73/Celtic_settlement-Open-Air_Archaeological_Museum_Liptovska_Mara_-_Havranok%2CSlovakia..jpg
Edited by greycat

That looks really nice.

One thing I am not keen on is the wood plank roof. Firstly it is flat, flat roofs are really bad at keeping water out, making them slope a bit is pretty easy so I would assume people in wet areas wouldn't make them flat. Also the lengths vary a lot, whever I have built something I tend to cut things to be the same length, everyone in the modern world does that so I woud have thought the gauls might have as well (producing wooden planks was a lot of effort back in those times so you wouldn't use them in a quickly thrown together structure you didnt care about).

This picture may help with the dimensions. It is from Open-Air Archaeological Museum Liptovska Mara - Havranok, Slovakia. Reconstructed shape of Celtic (La Tène) farmstead from the Upper Iron Age (300-100 B.C.)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/73/Celtic_settlement-Open-Air_Archaeological_Museum_Liptovska_Mara_-_Havranok%2CSlovakia..jpg

According to this I should scale it down a little. Thank you.

That looks really nice.

One thing I am not keen on is the wood plank roof. Firstly it is flat, flat roofs are really bad at keeping water out, making them slope a bit is pretty easy so I would assume people in wet areas wouldn't make them flat. Also the lengths vary a lot, whever I have built something I tend to cut things to be the same length, everyone in the modern world does that so I woud have thought the gauls might have as well (producing wooden planks was a lot of effort back in those times so you wouldn't use them in a quickly thrown together structure you didnt care about).

I was sticking to the model so i didn't really think about it. I could turn them a little down like on the other side and make them uniform. About water since there is space on the planks, maybe that wasn't an issue.

I think the planks need a little more play in them, myself.

perhaps not in length but in thickness, spacing, and lateral rotation

the farmstead is really coming along well, great job!

Okay, I will fix this.

EDIT :

1388503994-gaulfarmstead-4.png

Edited by stanislas69
  • Like 1

I was sticking to the model so i didn't really think about it. I could turn them a little down like on the other side and make them uniform. About water since there is space on the planks, maybe that wasn't an issue.

Okay, I will fix this.

EDIT :

Perfect, you are getting to feeling that make awsome on this project

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Glad I could help. :)

I had a few suggestions to make it more accurate.

Make the peak longer than base of house. So if the door is say 250 the peak would be about 500 (I used ruler in photoshop to get a rough ratio) Also the roof should extend down slightly past middle of door. (I think this steep angle is to keep snow off) Also there would be no chimney at this time.

This is front angle of same house.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/af/Celtic_settlement-Open-Air_Archaeological_Museum_Liptovska_Mara_-_Havranok%2CSlovakia.jpg
Edited by greycat

Make the peak longer than base of house. So if the door is say 250 the peak would be about 500 (I used ruler in photoshop to get a rough ratio) Also the roof should extend down slightly past middle of door. (I think this steep angle is to keep snow off) Also there would be no chimney at this time.

Note that the scale is always a bit exaggerated in the game. When units are considered to have the correct size. Buildings will be scaled down to 3/4th of the size, and doors and windows (as a compromise) to something like 7/8th (so they look rather large in the game)

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/ArtDesignDocument#ScaleandProportions