Concept: Persian Horse Archers

Qazi123

I have created a concept for Horse Archers for the Persian faction in 0ad, the horse archers could be used in other Iranian factions such Sassanids and Parthia. They are based on late Achaemenid horse archers and they retextured for other Eastern Factions.

History: Many Iranic Tribes used Horse Archers specially the Eastern Tribes such as the Dahae Confederation and the Massagates. The Achaemenid Empire incorporated Horse Archers into their armies but were popularised during the Parthian Empire. The unit could also be used for the Parthian Faction, Sassanid and retexture for other Iranic Tribes(Scythians). Horse archers would often use hit and run tactics to tire the enemy army in the Achaemenid Era. Later on they become the main force of the army during the Parthian Empire. Persian Horse Archers used either Persian bows or Scythian Bows both are composite bows. Composite Bows can penetrate armour for example Hoplite armour and later on Roman armour.

Ability: Horse archers could move and shoot simultaneously, they should have bounce when combating armoured units due to their Composite Bows. They should be agile but low in health and cheap to produce.

Agreed with this. At the definitely were used more by the Persians than the Seleucids than now have them.

I was thinking of giving the Achaemenids a Scythian Horse Archer as a Champion unit. Maybe give them War Elephants too, but perhaps with a train limit (say, 10 or something). That reminds me, I need to change the civ naming schema. (pers->achae, rome->romerep, so we can have other Persian and Roman civs later).

• Like 1

I have another idea for a feature for Persian factions making them semi-Nomadic, which all of them were actually accept for the Sassanids. This feature would allow Persian factions to create nomadic versions of buildings, the benefit is that they can be packed up and moved. I have created another thread for this feature.

The Achaemenids were quite settled by the time of Cyrus.

Not every where in the empire there were cities for example, when passing Mesopotamia cities become more scarce. Also Herodotus mention many of the original members of the Achaemenids during the reign of cyrus the great were nomadic. Also only the capitals in Persia itself were permanent settlements there were still large amount of nomads. In the east of the empire it was nearly completely nomadic. At least such a system would be required for the Scythians and other Eastern Persian Factions, as they had no permanent settlements.

Edited by Qazi123

I was thinking of giving the Achaemenids a Scythian Horse Archer as a Champion unit. Maybe give them War Elephants too, but perhaps with a train limit (say, 10 or something). That reminds me, I need to change the civ naming schema. (pers->achae, rome->romerep, so we can have other Persian and Roman civs later).

Nice:) Will they replace the Bactrians or just an extra champion? Limmited elephants could work for other factions as well, like Rome (maybe after marian reforms at the auxiliary camp?) and Macedon (actually used the quite a lot, if you consider Alexander and Western based Successors like the Antigonids, they probably used more elephants than the Ptolemies and almost certainly the Persians). The Persians could also use some change/buff in the early game, they seem the weaker by far (ranged micro player ability excluded).

Edited by Prodigal Son
  • Like 1

I have created a concept for Horse Archers for the Persian faction in 0ad, the horse archers could be used in other Iranian factions such Sassanids and Parthia. They are based on late Achaemenid horse archers and they retextured for other Eastern Factions.

History: Many Iranic Tribes used Horse Archers specially the Eastern Tribes such as the Dahae Confederation and the Massagates. The Achaemenid Empire incorporated Horse Archers into their armies but were popularised during the Parthian Empire. The unit could also be used for the Parthian Faction, Sassanid and retexture for other Iranic Tribes(Scythians). Horse archers would often use hit and run tactics to tire the enemy army in the Achaemenid Era. Later on they become the main force of the army during the Parthian Empire. Persian Horse Archers used either Persian bows or Scythian Bows both are composite bows. Composite Bows can penetrate armour for example Hoplite armour and later on Roman armour.

Ability: Horse archers could move and shoot simultaneously, they should have bounce when combating armoured units due to their Composite Bows. They should be agile but low in health and cheap to produce.

They should be mercenaries, not champions or conscripts.