Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

First off, I have no idea how hard it would be to implement any of this! However, I think spetsnaz' idea is great - you don't necessarily have to animate the person leaving the building, but you could show a short, generic animation inside the building.

It's one of those little features that make people go "wow!" when they play the game - like running units and people on walls. Stronghold has little animations inside buildings, and it brings a little more life and a little less "same old RTS" in the game.

But, of course, it's easy to sit here and contemplate features that I don't know how to make anyway (y)

I saw an idea mentioned a few pages ago about giving different attack/defence stats depending on stances, when it struck me:

Shouldn't units on "guard area" or "hold" gain a minor bonus in dodging slings/arrows and a significant one when it comes to javelins? I mean, a soldier who's standing still is somewhat easy prey for archers and slingers, but if he is hiding behind a shield, his only concern is staying behind the shield. Also, a skirmisher has to approach fairly close, and a javelin is easier to dodge than an arrow.

These bonuses are meant to be minor, not all-powerful.

Oh, and a phalanx formation on hold should gain a great bonus from frontal attacks. (And then I mean huge, unless they're already capable of breaking frontal charges).

What would actually be neat, and would incorporate what you just mentioned, would be a directional armor. +5 armor if attacked from the front, for a unit with a shield.

That would give significant incentive to ambush or flank your enemy, instead of sending in mass amounts of troops from the front. It would also create the "shield wall" effect for the phalanx, which was obviously pretty significant in ancient warfare.

In the current implementation, individual units don't really have a meaningful front - they can turn instantly to walk or to attack in any direction. There's not much value in getting a bonus when attacking from behind if the enemy will instantly turn to face you. But we've planned to have directional bonuses for formations, since those will have meaningful sides and can only turn slowly, so you won't achieve much by attacking a phalanx from the front.

In the current implementation, individual units don't really have a meaningful front - they can turn instantly to walk or to attack in any direction. There's not much value in getting a bonus when attacking from behind if the enemy will instantly turn to face you. But we've planned to have directional bonuses for formations, since those will have meaningful sides and can only turn slowly, so you won't achieve much by attacking a phalanx from the front.

Great. Most of those bonuses would only apply for missile troops (example: if you send some Horse Archers around your enemy to score more kills), however if an enemy is successfully surrounded, these bonuses would probably apply for melee as well.

I also wonder, will it be possible to stage ambushes as Celts or Iberians?

Example of how it could be done (this would apply only for Celts and Iberians):

- units are "invisible" for enemies when in cover of trees or shrubberies

- a building that looks like a spot of grass with shrubberies and a few trees (or rocks, for desert maps) where you can garrison units. This building could have only 1 HP so that it doesn't function like a sort of fortification, but you could garrison units within that you could either release, or have missile troops act as "snipers."

Again, this sort of "building" should be available for Celts, Iberians or other "barbarians" with ambush traditions, but could prove both funny and allow for untraditional tactics when it comes to multiplayer. Expecially if we make them difficult to select for enemies and perhaps with some sort of randomness when it comes to design so they're not easily recognised.

I also wonder, will it be possible to stage ambushes as Celts or Iberians?

Example of how it could be done (this would apply only for Celts and Iberians):

- units are "invisible" for enemies when in cover of trees or shrubberies

- a building that looks like a spot of grass with shrubberies and a few trees (or rocks, for desert maps) where you can garrison units. This building could have only 1 HP so that it doesn't function like a sort of fortification, but you could garrison units within that you could either release, or have missile troops act as "snipers."

Again, this sort of "building" should be available for Celts, Iberians or other "barbarians" with ambush traditions, but could prove both funny and allow for untraditional tactics when it comes to multiplayer. Expecially if we make them difficult to select for enemies and perhaps with some sort of randomness when it comes to design so they're not easily recognised.

I love that idea of Celts being able to build some kind of camoflage "building"!

I had another idea myself which I wrote in my other Topic:

My idea:

Wouldn't it be cool if, when a building is destroyed, a ruin is still left from it?

Instead of the building just dissapearing completely!

It would be a very cool thing seeing a whole city in ruin, except one palace still remaining about to be destroyed!

Maybe you could repair the ruins too! It would be an innovation.

Ofcourse mainly stone buildings would be left in Ruin, some wooden shacks would just lie on the ground.

Edited by JamesH

Actually units are invisible when they are standing in woods or if they are moving or standing by a unit with the "tactica guerrilla" ability.

Oh, nice. So basically they are invisible until you hit them up front and center? Great for melee troops.

But the building I suggested was more of a "sniper spot" for guerilla archers to make them harder to find and kill. Not neccessary if they remain cloaked until the melee unit forces them to move since (as I've understood it) a guerilla unit should be nearly invisible unless it moves or you are standing virtually on top of him.

I've been following this game on and off for years, and just decided to try out the Alpha a few days ago. I have to say I'm extremely impressed with what I've seen so far. The only thing I can think of to suggest, is to make it so that the walls can connect to each other, but I'm sure this has been suggested before.

I look forward to the next release

One thing I would change is the UI art. To me it looks kind of like something from Ubunti as it is in Alpha 3 :P

I think the UI art should get an art style like the civilisation your playing, just as in AoE. Greek, Persian etc... But maybe you already on to this?

Edited by JamesH

I recommend having a "battle planner". This was used in Empire Earth 2 and I believe that it was very nifty. Essentially, you would be able to vie with your allies by drawing out attack/defense routes on a mini map. The units and their paths were represented by arrows. The colors of the arrows naturally determined which faction owned that group of units and their routes. The ally could then reject or accept the battle plan. It would be very nifty for both single and multiplayer games.

The other idea I had was having supply lines. In the wiki/trac, there was a note about the territories that explained that units that trespass into enemy territories will rapidly lose hit points until a timer runs out. My concept is that supply wagons could heal units that are in their aura until they run out of supplies. They would then plod back to the nearest civic center for more supplies. It would be useful for historic campaigns like those of Hannibal Barca where Quintus Fabius Maximas is cutting them off and for games so that there would be other ways to kill your harm your opponents soldiers than just attacking them head on. I guess that it would be good to have an on/off option for those who would find it annoying.

Perhaps, but they could lose both due to starvation.

losing morale can simplify and represent that. while on the matter, there should be ready-made in-game functions for "hunger" in which you lose food constantly depending on how many people you have and when you have none left, people start losing health. it would work GREAT for siege scenarios

Hello, been reviewing 0 A.D. on and off for a while, and it seems like it would be an awesome game. That being said, I have two ideas/questions.

1. I know that units are supposed to "upgrade" with age. I was wondering if you could somehow specifically position those "veterans" in the front of your formations?

2. Obviously, real-world battles can last several days. Is there going to be anything which simulates this? I know that in RTS games, battles never stop for any reason-usually one group completely destroys the other, no prisoners, no retreating. Making battles stretch for some time would be very interesting I think.

First of all: A great game with potential!

This is some of the things I've come up with while playing:

Environment:

-Waterfall, nice animation waterfalls for better environment

-More living forest (birds, butterflies, wind, live grass, old trees are dying)

-More treasures

-Larger fish spots that reproduces themselves

-Trees should regrow

-Reproducing wildlife

-Lion hunt

-Elephants that are protective

-People in boats, and animations of them

-Beautiful Cities, less square-ish?

-Neater rivers, living water?

-Bridges over rivers

-People moves onagers / Siege. More realistic?

-Animals should flee when fighting is close

-When you hunt animals they should run and die soon. I mean, a spear in the chest and eat grass?

Techniques:

-Irrigation, realism? And a fun new element for the player

Game UI/Game:

-Zooming further out should be possible

-Visible cursor where you send units. Like in AOE, moving arrow or something.

-Direction of Troops (drag when you hold the right button). This means the troop will line up in a certain direction. See Cossacks if you don't understand.

-More audio. More sounds from the environment, and units. More lush sounds.

-Larger maps

-Less sticky minimap, a little bit bigger? It is just too much in a little space now I think.

-More cozy design of the menus, improved icons.

-A little sharper contours of environments, it becomes a bit muddy?

-Taxes??? I would have loved it anyway! Maybe a basic income depending on the numbers of inhabitants? Fixed %?

-Upgrades! Lots of them, universities, blacksmiths etc.

-Automatic Updates. When new version of the game is released, I think it should be installed at once from the internet.

-Game Speeds

-Hero-tracking, your hero appears as an icon somewhere for easy tracking

-Hero-Limit?

-Select more than 40 units!

-Ctrl +1 = Give a name squad, like AOE

-More music!

-When building a building, the builder should walk around and build. More realistic.

-Farms should be plowed not hammered!?

-Larger variety of soldier clothes. And larger differences between different factions/civilizations

Bugs:

-Fields are flat and doesn't follow the surface

-Garrison?

-Boat on land

Buildings:

-Larger castles, special designed castles?

-Metal Smithy

-Blacksmith

-Siege tents. To be able to siege a town, and heal your own troops?

-Some sort of hospital?

Thats that for now. Thanks!

Suggestion:

- In place of having troops using swords, spears and arrows to destroy enemy city centre, what if they actually plundered it? Say, took 10-15 each of a random resource? This would enable us to throw different strategies on an all out aggressive enemy that doesn't build early walls.

- Giving units that attack buildings animations similar to Age of Empires 3, where archers fire flaming arrows and melee-units throw torches.

Suggestion:

- In place of having troops using swords, spears and arrows to destroy enemy city centre, what if they actually plundered it? Say, took 10-15 each of a random resource? This would enable us to throw different strategies on an all out aggressive enemy that doesn't build early walls.

- Giving units that attack buildings animations similar to Age of Empires 3, where archers fire flaming arrows and melee-units throw torches.

Non-siege units will be able to capture buildings, so no need for either I'd say :) But that would have been an alternative otherwise yeah.

New to this forum but have been following the mod since its... well... days as a mod for AoE... anyway I think walls should be indestructible to infantry and cavalry for obvious reasons. Gates should be indestructible as well.

That leaves siege weapons. They are siege weapons for a reasons - to perform a siege. So how about only they can destroy walls and gates and the strength of the walls should be high and the siege equipment should be costly. Now another thing that bothered me in AoE besides the lack of gates was the inability to target enemy siege weapons with your own siege weapons on your side of the wall. So I thought how about doing away with most range limits and instituting a scout feature. So say a typical siege you have your weapons and the enemy has theirs. Your weapons can only target theirs if you have scout who extends the LOS to reveal the enemy units.

Then I thought what if the player just sends their scout into the enemy's base and targets it from a distance... so instead of removing range limits on all artillery how about creating stationary siege equipment that can target farther than mobile siege only when the view has been extended by a scout or another unit. So if the enemy places their siege weapons at the edge and targets the walls the defender will only see rocks incoming but wont see where they are coming from unless a unit moves forward to reveal the LOS. The range on the stationary guns should not be much more than the mobile but enough to target the enemy siege guns.

Otherwise players could just target walls with ease once players can build siege guns.

Komenos, the only problem i see with the whole walls being very strong thing is that people will just spam produce walls 10-20 lines deep. but then again they already do that in AoE3 lol. i think infantry should be able to do damage to walls but not be able to completely destroy them. Infantry should be able to get walls health down to a quarter of it's health but siege equipment has to finish the job.

• Stan` featured this topic