Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

Hello All,

Here are some suggestions after a first session.

1. After exiting the game, the 'Continue' button could be at the top right to make the next mouse click easier.

2. We need mouse-over pop up balloons to help us identify icons.  For example, 'Wood' when the mouse pointer is over the wood icon, and 'Woman' when over a woman, idle or on a task.  Also, the help text in the pop up balloons for the buildings could be clearer.

3. Can we have a 'Restart' option in the Menu?  This would restart the game on the same map and scenario without the need to exit from the map and game.

Also, if you are a forum subscriber please ask if you would like help with your English, for submitting to the 0 A.D. forums.

Edited by WetLook
  • Like 2

Hello All,

I got a lot to say but on a general basis and after playing a lot of onlines games on the current version :

> ranged units and siege rams are too strong, it's not realistic (on a history point of view) to see celts winning the game with only slingers and battle rams, what I would suggest to correct this would be :

1. Lowering the attack dammages of slingers and allowing only a limited number of attacks (spears) for the skirmishers before a countdown that allow them to reload their stack of javelins, on the meantime the skirmisher would act as a spearman (with low armor). A level 1 skrimisher would have for example only 6 javelin to throw.

2. Battler rams and all other siege units in general should be packed with citizen soldiers units in order to be used, for example a battle ram speed could depend on the number of units inside and the units that handle the balistas or catapultes should be vulnerable of ranged attacks. If they got killed the siege engine become Gaia until some else is using it.

3.  .. to compensate this I would give to the celts factions a citizen soldier with sword (which would be histroricaly accurate as gauls where well knows smiths) and also a citizen soldier with hammer or haxe that perform crush units and could be used to destrow buildings.

4. Spear cavaliers should have a special charge attack that could crashed low armored units such as ranged units. Currently they are not strong enough against archers, skirmishers and slingers, that's not realistic.

It's just a start but I thing that with these littles changes the game could become even more attractive and we would see much more historically accurate  battles.

Edited by MERTZEN
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

The Iberians run into trouble with certain skirmish maps due to not having their prefabricated stone walls. I understand that it would be a pain to make every map have an Iberian wall circuit, so until automatic wall building is functional, I would recommend changing their civ bonus. My idea is that you shift it to being able to build stone walls in village phase. It would make sense with the text, and shouldn't be too hard to implement.

• Like 2

On 10/27/2019 at 9:28 PM, WetLook said:

Hello All,

Here are some suggestions after a first session.

1. After exiting the game, the 'Continue' button could be at the top right to make the next mouse click easier.

2. We need mouse-over pop up balloons to help us identify icons.  For example, 'Wood' when the mouse pointer is over the wood icon, and 'Woman' when over a woman, idle or on a task.  Also, the help text in the pop up balloons for the buildings could be clearer.

3. Can we have a 'Restart' option in the Menu?  This would restart the game on the same map and scenario without the need to exit from the map and game.

Also, if you are a forum subscriber please ask if you would like help with your English, for submitting to the 0 A.D. forums.

On 10/30/2019 at 10:31 PM, MERTZEN said:

Hello All,

I got a lot to say but on a general basis and after playing a lot of onlines games on the current version :

> ranged units and siege rams are too strong, it's not realistic (on a history point of view) to see celts winning the game with only slingers and battle rams, what I would suggest to correct this would be :

1. Lowering the attack dammages of slingers and allowing only a limited number of attacks (spears) for the skirmishers before a countdown that allow them to reload their stack of javelins, on the meantime the skirmisher would act as a spearman (with low armor). A level 1 skrimisher would have for example only 6 javelin to throw.

2. Battler rams and all other siege units in general should be packed with citizen soldiers units in order to be used, for example a battle ram speed could depend on the number of units inside and the units that handle the balistas or catapultes should be vulnerable of ranged attacks. If they got killed the siege engine become Gaia until some else is using it.

3.  .. to compensate this I would give to the celts factions a citizen soldier with sword (which would be histroricaly accurate as gauls where well knows smiths) and also a citizen soldier with hammer or haxe that perform crush units and could be used to destrow buildings.

4. Spear cavaliers should have a special charge attack that could crashed low armored units such as ranged units. Currently they are not strong enough against archers, skirmishers and slingers, that's not realistic.

It's just a start but I thing that with these littles changes the game could become even more attractive and we would see much more historically accurate  battles.

Actually siege units are here, that's nice, but not really implemented into gameplay (even Spear-Sword-Ranged-Cavallery is not really ready). 0AD is playable, but it's important to take care, that we players don't learn to play with unfinished concepts and try to keep them for convenience, because we just learned to use them for our advantage. These interesting ideas are giving some sort of solutions about walls and siege units

Walls are now pretty weak and expensive, beside of blocking choke points and decorative reasons (mostly in singleplayer, in multiplayer not really recommended), they have no use. At some point they will need rework.

- by soldiers nearly indestructible stone walls make need for now dispensable siege engines or ropes and ladders to climb and conquer them faster. Climbing walls adds one more aspect of ancient warfare into 0AD for new mid-game rushing strategies against weak turtles: siege assaults. Siege engines are commonly spammed mid-late-game for trying to raid civil centers, if enemies keep up with equal strenght. Siege engines are relatively cheap, powerful, comfortable. Attackers now don't really try to protect, improve some engine by manpower (packing units into it, similar to towers) and then to advance them on enemy positions.

- protecting stone walls were built with increasing prosperity, one thing lead to another over time - trade increased more, prosperity has grown, walls got bigger, economy boomed. Why not some economy bonus for walling civil centers? If there is some number of wall-towers and walls around civil center, it can be classified mostly as a city in ancient times. Walls could get some economic use in gameplay, beside of warfare, returning in some sort investment into them.

Probably some aspects fit more for mod-making (several ways of balancing economy by walls), but could still exist as rough basic concept in 0 AD. Persians, Greeks and many more were first citybuilders with walled cities, before they waged war about land and cities. Walls were essential for ancient cities and now we have a gameplay with optional walls :huh:

• Like 1

• new game modes based in popular rts, own ideas, mixing existent modes. Like capture points, capture flag, protect wonder...etc
  • New units time to be more far away than AoE. Maybe mix with stronghold defenses and special units, bandits, assassins, arsonist, spies, diplomatic (conversion).
  • New diplomacy features like make peace for minutes.
  • Improve the GUI divide buildings in groups.
  • New maps, like shipwreck , where you start nomad with a cart and  use your ship as source to build a CC made from wood. Kind a surviving mode. 
  • New buildings.
  • Mercenary camps like DE mod.
  • More technologies.
  • Change hotkeys and customize them.
  • GUI alerts.
  • More scenarios with triggers.

• Like 3

More music ambients and good landscapes.

Active pause.

Disable "national borders".

AI will build walls like AoE2 old AI.

Swimming units(?)

The houses sizes will be conform to human measure.

Building of bridges.

Changing melee attack to range if possible.

All buildings will be brand new looking without wall cracks and falling pieces of clay.

Units are too fast moving... They should be more ageofempired.

And it is sad that 0 AD is not based on fantasy... That landscapes reminds me some RPG locations atmosphere.

Spoiler

screenshot0001.thumb.png.5cd9d11c30323b7543a24599ed4a2ce6.png

Spoiler

Edited by Narxes

• 4 weeks later...

Good afternoon! Firstly, I want to say many thanks to the developers. There are too few games dedicated to this era and I really enjoyed your game!
There is a request - to make a global map for a single player game in the form of a company, as it is implemented in the Total War series of games. For example, a player begins with an ordinary leader of a tribe and gradually seizes the territories of neighboring states and establishing his empire, concludes alliances and conducts construction and trade. The starting card will be a kind of capital city. A player, recruiting troops there, could send them to other places, since resources near the city were depleted and he would need to receive new deposits on other maps. After the seizure of the city, one could leave the garrison there and seize the territory, or rob and screw up a tribute. If capture takes place, then the player can create in this area only objects for the extraction of resources and fortifications. Similarly, other states act on the map, capturing or losing territory. I think it would be interesting.
There was still such a thought: a unit constructor. I saw in one game. We have a population. Some of the men we can call in the army. They can be armed with a sword, spear with a shield or bow, give them armor. These will be militias, they fight poorly. But you can send them to the camp to train, then after a certain time we get a professional warrior, which we can arm with the same weapons. This would be more realistic than the "buildings-which-give-birth-soldiers"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2019 at 1:12 PM, bora said:

These will be militias, they fight poorly. But you can send them to the camp to train, then after a certain time we get a professional warrior, which we can arm with the same weapons. This would be more realistic than the "buildings-which-give-birth-soldiers"

Is more game wise , I suggested this too.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wackyserious said:

Just an idea, what if rams could be packed too, also make them way more slower, so you have pack them if you want more mobility?

My guess is that it's not historically accurate.

A Battering Ram is just a long log under a wheeled tent. It's designed to be mobile.

• Like 2

Strictly speaking siege weapons tended to be just built on site.  I'd recommend just to have a unit that is trainable called the sapper.  It would be vulnerable to melee attack but would itself have a decent building attack along with a much more important role of being able to construct siege engines.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KingKrios said:

I suggest to developers put into game installer some bonuses folders with music, arts, videos etc. Just like at GOG store.

We must finish the game first,  but we can release many things.

@LordGood @Stan`

---

edit: I forgot the new member from social matters.

@Sundiata

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

3 hours ago, KingKrios said:

I suggest to developers put into game installer some bonuses folders with music, arts, videos etc. Just like at GOG store.

That method would only work with Windows we also support Apple(OSX) and Linux which do not use installers but package managers adding extra media would also increase our already large download size in which the media are in compressed formats.

Enjoy the Choice :)

@Loki1950 @Lion.Kanzen actually I wouldn't mind having

$ apt search 0ad (also 'pacman -Ss 0ad' and so on)
0ad-extra-artwork-20190630    A selection of 0 A.D. music, artwork, videos and ideas for the next development stage.

Even though a few links would work, such an extra content would certainly help in certain occasions eg trip.

Edited by tuk0z
my bad I had forgoten Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Loki1950 said:

That would work for Linux just a separate package while OSX could use a media bundle though I imagine curating that extra stuff would be a handful ;)

The forums are literally full of stuff of which some would fit this 'extras' content, and in various fields of interest. E.g. (and just e.g.), having studied history I have a vivid memory of the whole Kushit research and the interest it created for me (« Jee, these guys do a sh*t ton of historical research before even starting the graphics/modelisation that'll eventually lead to adding a new civ into the game! ») i.e. it inspired me respect as well as a will to contribute. For other it'll be more Graphics, or Code efficiency... Now the forum is also a time heavy place for newcomers to find such valuable 'extras' imho. atm though I have no specific idea on how we, as a community, could select and vote for some of the best contents around here. Just that it'd be nice if it also helped newcomers to (easily, visually) get where some more luv would do great to further improve the game -- and sorry for my English.

• Like 1

The art repository would probably be a good place to start for extra stuff.

As to where we could use some help, I have a few ideas but I guess I usually wait for people to ask before suggesting them :)

It's better to wait a bit for people to show what they can do so I can orient them better.

7 hours ago, Loki1950 said:

That method would only work with Windows we also support Apple(OSX) and Linux which do not use installers but package managers adding extra media would also increase our already large download size in which the media are in compressed formats.

It may be Bonus folder in game directory after installing/unpack. It may be opened from game menu such we open Atlas using button, but this time bonuses will be opened as folder. I hope Linux or OSX are use folders to keep datafiles.

Edited by KingKrios

Please read what I said carefully i did not say it was not possible I said it would cost us lots of bandwidth and the size of the download would increase very much are you ready for the download of a game to take over on hour media take up memory very fast one hi res image can be 5 Mb not every one in the world has ultra hi speed internet so it should be a choice to get those extras ie: a separate download not the default.

• Like 1