Suggestions for 0 A.D.

2 hours ago, elexis said:

(12) Agree, the civs are well differentiated, all unique, even all hellenic ones. Apparently this is wanted though, so a new page was proposed once upon a time #3987

My god, what is holding this one up? https://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/3987

@Sandarac @s0600204

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Replies 3,7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's some suggestions I have for the game. I've tried to avoid obvious ones (like improved pathing), but probably many of them have been discussed before. BUGS (1) When constructing buildi

This is my feedback regarding Promotion Animation: I don't like it. How about following the Red Alert 2 tradition? A Promotion Visual popping over the unit's head It's a little bit like the Move

A Compass for the Map. No need to explain why it's a Nice-to-have. But what I kind of want as a consequence is to make that gold map border a little bit thicker so that I could use it to rot

Posted Images

2 hours ago, elexis said:

(3) Because the building is square and they start shooting once in range.

In the pictures below I ctrl-clicked to attack the cc. The top row shows what usually happens, with units in the back walking around to their place on the ends. But in the bottom row I ctrl-clicked a second time while they were walking around, and the units stopped in place and started attacked the cc. So the units in the top row are definitely in range, but for some reason they walk around to their position on the square before they start to attack.

I think currently units are within range if the center of the object is within range? And maybe that's going to be changed in D13 to if any part of the object is in range? That's my understanding. In the first case, the units should line up in a circle around the cc, and in the second case they should line up in a circle/square hybrid, in straight lines parallel to each side, but then 1/4 circles around each of the corners.

Playing around in the editor: Archers actually line up in a circle like they should! Slingers and skirmishers line up in a square like in the picture. Hmm, playing around more: Attacking a barracks instead of a civic center, slingers will line up in a circle too! But skirmishers still stand in a square. Skirmishers will stand in a circle to attack a house though. So maybe it has something to do with how the building's "radius" (whatever that means) compares to the unit's range?

I'll make a ticket for this. For the other things on my list, I searched for old tickets that mentioned them, and only made a new ticket if I didn't find anything.

• Like 5
On 5/21/2017 at 0:16 AM, temple said:

I think currently units are within range if the center of the object is within range? And maybe that's going to be changed in D13 to if any part of the object is in range? That's my understanding. In the first case, the units should line up in a circle around the cc, and in the second case they should line up in a circle/square hybrid, in straight lines parallel to each side, but then 1/4 circles around each of the corners.

I was wrong with the first line, units are within range if they're within range of the object's obstruction, which is a rectangle for buildings. The problem is in the pathfinding, where it approximates the correct circle/square hybrid shape by either a circle (which works fine) or a square (which doesn't work so well) depending on how the unit's range compares to the size of the obstruction. However, that section of the code's being removed in the D13 rewrite, so for now I think this bug can be ignored.

• Like 1

I wasn't able to get D13 working in Phabricator, but I did get something working through wraitii's GitHub. Units attacked differently, but there was some weird behavior (units walking back to a previous point for no reason, before continuing again), so it's certainly possible that I grabbed the wrong branch or the code isn't up to date or something like that. But I thought I'd share what I found anyway.

Currently, units line up in either a circle or a rectangle, when they should line up in the circle/rectangle hybrid. In all three of these cases units take a lot of time walking around to their correct spot at the end of the line. In wraitii's rewrite what happened was that some units (even when selected individually) walked too close to the building, which left room for more units behind them. The effect of this was that the units attacked sooner, since they didn't spend so much time walking.

For example, here is a group of archers attacking a civic center. Normally they'd stand shoulder to shoulder in a big arc, but here they stand three or four deep. I like this effect, but normally you'd do it manually: attack the cc, walk forward a bit (or try to capture the cc) for just a second, then attack the cc again. In that time the units in front all walk forward a step which leaves room for the units behind them to get into range.

Here's skirmishers attacking a civic center. You can see the outline of the correct circle/rectangle hybrid shape on the outer edge, but again many units walk too close to the building. The main problem with this is that when your units outrange the enemy's buildings or units (they walk too close when attacking units, too), if they walk closer than they need to they risk getting hit.

Hopefully I'm just looking at obsolete code. But otherwise I'm not a fan of this change.

Also, the "nearest dropsite" bug was still in effect, so I made a ticket for that.

About the silhouette of the units, we know that it is possible to activate them through the options.

But why not also expand to gaia?

That would be something like the images I put down, animals (white), shrubs (green), stone (white), metal (golden).

Especially small animals are a problem when they are in the trees, you waste a lot of time looking for them, I think this suggestion is valid and in great need.

I also think it should be optional as well as for units.

boar.png.79ca15f4857080e92b6d5ab7d71767bb.pnggoldstone.png.bfc72a47d74c4c38dfc4f170629b51bd.png

• Like 4
37 minutes ago, borg- said:

Well I have one more suggestion: D
I think it should be audible as soon as the population reaches the limit and you need more houses. A beep resembles when you create new soldiers.

Yes, and when you click a button in the UI which is disabled for whatever reason, for instance when you try to train too many Hoplites but you've run out of wood. AOM had this, it was like a "ANG!" sound. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, sphyrth said:

Yes. That's exactly what I meant.

I find it annoying that Promoted Units need to "shout it out" in the middle of a battle. An icon that just pops in and out removes that annoying factor.

I like the "shout out" animation. It's graphical and tell the player what's happening. I like the animated chevron icons  you posted too. Here's what I propose:

If we have battalions, you can promote individual battalions by using either XP or Glory. When you do this manually and they aren't in battle, they use the "shout out" animation and the animated chevron appears briefly above the battalion.

When the battalion is actively in battle and they auto-promote to the next rank or you promote them manually while they are fighting, then all you see is the chevron animation. That way the combat isn't interrupted.

It's just I'd like to see the "shout out" animation kept in some fashion. I like to see some kind of emotion from the troops. Adds to the flavor I think. Similarly, I liked in AOE3 when your troops would cheer when they killed all of the enemy. That was a cool touch that added polish.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 3

We need , sounds why we can place some public domain sounds or amateur recorded as place holder.

we can start the list. When we finally found a sound engenier or  creator, we can get the list, list that we must to-do.

@LAVS create what we're required by him. But we need a new.

TBH I don't like units celebrating and stop fighting when they reach promotion level.

i once played a game I can't remember that they keep fighting but there's an icon flashing that someone is up for promotion. I think the celebration to occur after you approve the promotion is better. Was it Civ 5?!

• Like 1
On 5/28/2017 at 0:10 AM, borg- said:

About the silhouette of the units, we know that it is possible to activate them through the options.

But why not also expand to gaia?

That would be something like the images I put down, animals (white), shrubs (green), stone (white), metal (golden).

Especially small animals are a problem when they are in the trees, you waste a lot of time looking for them, I think this suggestion is valid and in great need.

I also think it should be optional as well as for units.

boar.png.79ca15f4857080e92b6d5ab7d71767bb.pnggoldstone.png.bfc72a47d74c4c38dfc4f170629b51bd.png

u try rotating the map...press Ctr and scroll up/down using mouse...if im not mistaken...correct me please if im wrong

3 minutes ago, agnozan said:

Building roads and bridges...like faster movement on road and slower on wild terrain (bushes, stony, muddy, etc)...

Roads is unnecessary feature too much micro. Bridges needs add some code to the engine.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, agnozan said:

u try rotating the map...press Ctr and scroll up/down using mouse...if im not mistaken...correct me please if im wrong

He isn't asking how to do, he is proposed only gives Gaia(resources).

not alll of us  like rotating the map in many situations.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

I suggest bring back Rock -Paper -scissors system.

even between faction ( Macedonia defeats Persia , Persia defeats Romans and then they can do same Macedonians.

AoE HD works in this way, isn't full balanced, only consult steam forums.

as Justus said: balance it doesn't   matter.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
5 hours ago, agnozan said:

If u rotating, what was invisible becomes visible, but part of what was visible becomes invisible.

Edited by borg-
  • Stan` featured this topic