Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

Another idea I had was: could you put 0 A.D. on Steam? I know 0 A.D. is still in "alpha" but it's a very working alpha and auto update for windows and mac os users would be useful.

If people want, I could try to figure out how to make a mod with the changed item upgrades and then people can test it out... I think it's a good idea to change it, but I understand other people's thoughts, maybe it should be a larger discussion?

What did people think about the encyclopedia idea? Were you already planning on doing that?

On 21/05/2023 at 7:36 AM, seeh said:

configurable which should remain the default/standard Map, even if the mod settings have changed.

i working on it as plugin in autoCiv https://github.com/sl5net/autociv/tree/setDefaultConfig

if you type "/profile1" it  "set to profile1" config (this is hard-coded at them moment. sets to mainland, 250 pop .. and some stuff)

most is working but idk how to set the map filter for the maps

Edited by seeh
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

Another idea I had was: could you put 0 A.D. on Steam? I know 0 A.D. is still in "alpha" but it's a very working alpha and auto update for windows and mac os users would be useful.

If people want, I could try to figure out how to make a mod with the changed item upgrades and then people can test it out... I think it's a good idea to change it, but I understand other people's thoughts, maybe it should be a larger discussion?

What did people think about the encyclopedia idea? Were you already planning on doing that?

Not for now, we would be overwhelmed by the number of users.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

So you mean you'd make the citizen soldiers less effective and add a male citizen that you could train? For some reason I think that would detract from the "In zero AD your soldiers can work" mechanic.

At first they are workers rather than soldiers, then they are soldiers rather than workers. All this as they rise through the ranks.

10 hours ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

So you mean you'd make the citizen soldiers less effective and add a male citizen that you could train? For some reason I think that would detract from the "In zero AD your soldiers can work" mechanic.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

It is not planned but it is not ruled out, it is just not a priority.

And we don't have someone to write about.

AFAIK, the encyclopedia is already working code-wise, but was disabled as they found it was too much of a burden to maintain the (multi-language) entries.

the thing with FOSS is that if there is a community devoted to maintain some feature, the feature will stay part of the project, otherwise it will be dropped.

1 hour ago, alre said:

AFAIK, the encyclopedia is already working code-wise, but was disabled as they found it was too much of a burden to maintain the (multi-language) entries.

the thing with FOSS is that if there is a community devoted to maintain some feature, the feature will stay part of the project, otherwise it will be dropped.

That's true, but you still need to test it to see if it needs something.

I would like to see how it works.

6 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

At first they are workers rather than soldiers, then they are soldiers rather than workers. All this as they rise through the ranks.

Sorry, I sent it 3 times because some lag.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

21 minutes ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

So I was wondering would it be smart to make a mod with the different cost for unit upgrades, so people can see how it works? I might be able to figure out how to make a mod. However, can mods run with the flatpak 0 AD?

i not pro in mod development. but if you like i could maybe do some life-streams when i work on something? maybe there are some good docs stuff already for this. maybe check the documentary ( https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/WikiStart#Formodders: ) .... 

and yes it works with this flatpak or snap stuff. no difference. mods or config are not stored inside the flatpak / appimage or whatever .

for e.g. i have running alpha 27 a compiled version and a appimage version ( https://github.com/0ad-matters/0ad-appimage/releases )  and a snap  version (for a26). all store mods and config outside . easy that you edit this

Edited by seeh

45 minutes ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

So I was wondering would it be smart to make a mod with the different cost for unit upgrades, so people can see how it works? I might be able to figure out how to make a mod. However, can mods run with the flatpak 0 AD?

The problem is going to be convincing them to install the mod.

I suggest you make a new topic.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

I made the mod, and played a medium skirmish. I died but, this time, it wasn't before I could advance to the second age. I enjoyed it more because it didn't seem I always didn't have any wood.

Where would be the best place to share the mod?

One thing is the upgrade descriptions might need to be changed for stone because its descriptions are about slaves, but It now costs metal/ wood. (Pickaxe?)

As to convincing them to install it. Anyone who tries the other version gets one imaginary German chocolate cake...

Edited by ShadowOfHassen
Update

I'd also be interested in seeing the encyclopedia. I was thinking a history sort of encyclopedia and not a gameplay one, and so I don't see how that would be a lot of translation after the initial writing.

By history, I mean like who were the Maurians? Who were their warrior maidens. Who was this roman general? Etc.

I think age of empires had a feature like it, but I'm not sure.

20 minutes ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

I'd also be interested in seeing the encyclopedia. I was thinking a history sort of encyclopedia and not a gameplay one, and so I don't see how that would be a lot of translation after the initial writing.

By history, I mean like who were the Maurians? Who were their warrior maidens. Who was this roman general? Etc.

I think age of empires had a feature like it, but I'm not sure.

I understand it perfectly.

Play that game saga.

1 hour ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

So I have a GitHub account, would it be Ok to put it on Github and then open a forum post to have people discuss what they thought? Then you all can decide whether you want it in the game.

Sure. Keep in mind that most people are not tech friendly, so ideally you should provide it as a pyromod. See the relevant documentation here: https://trac.wildfiregames.com/#Formodders:

7 hours ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

So I have a GitHub account, would it be Ok to put it on Github and then open a forum post to have people discuss what they thought? Then you all can decide whether you want it in the game.

If this is about history tags then I'd welcome it.

The reason for dropping the ones there were was they were filler mostly like "this is a Roman stable, full-stop" and the like as I recall. So if you get it were they have substance and our historians are happy with the quality I don't see a reason for it no making it into the main game in the end.

I suggest start a mod and limit yourself to 1 or two civs first and try to get the attention and feedback of the historians early.

Keep pressed and move the mouse to pandisable 'Smooth Scrolling' on Edge:

This feature allows you to navigate through a map smoothly, regardless of size, without clicking at mini-map.

Its a basic feature, but i still find it much disturbing and want have the option to disable it.

i f i hit one of my mice by mistake, or move it to far, what often happens, i lose orientation and suddenly somewhere on the map

BTW

1. mini-map click
  2. focus buildings (hotkey for each Building type and hotkey jump to fights etc.)
  3. keyboard arrows like -> <- ...  for fine tuning
  4. and some use camera.pan = mouse middle + mouse move
  5. camera.pan =  Keep pressed mouse middle (its mouse wheel press at my mouses) and move the mouse to pan  (is to hard to hold at my mouses. maybe better with other mouses. no option for me at the moment and to option above are really enough and good for me)

a27/build/source/graphics/CameraController.cpp:187 ->

if (g_mouse_active && m_ViewScrollMouseDetectDistance > 0)
    {
        if (g_mouse_x >= g_xres - m_ViewScrollMouseDetectDistance && g_mouse_x < g_xres)
            moveRightward += m_ViewScrollSpeed * deltaRealTime;

Edited by seeh