Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

• 2 weeks later...

Would there be a way to number units as they are built? Having units numbered is very important to controlling them, I usually number some archers 1, cavalry 2, infantry 3, and so on. It would be nice if I could auto queue a barracks to produce a type of unit and add them to a numbered group as they are trained, so when I need them I can just hit their number, hit call to arms (i made that hotkey c) and click where I need them.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Adeimantos said:

Would there be a way to number units as they are built? Having units numbered is very important to controlling them, I usually number some archers 1, cavalry 2, infantry 3, and so on. It would be nice if I could auto queue a barracks to produce a type of unit and add them to a numbered group as they are trained, so when I need them I can just hit their number, hit call to arms (i made that hotkey c) and click where I need them.

control groups are one way, not sure how to add automatically new units to control groups 
Top players use lot of secrets I don't know them

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, Sperry01 said:

Add more diverse civilizations with unique units and gameplay mechanics

That's almost done.

33 minutes ago, Sperry01 said:

Regularly update and balance the game based on player feedback and community suggestions

We are working on it. In a couple of years we may be able to create a game balance updater.

1 minute ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

OpenAI prompt, eh? 

Hahaha I notice that too

• Like 1

Lets play AI's rated.

Update AutoTrain (use source from ProGUI)

AutoSend resouces to Team when you resign (use source from godseye)

Option for MaxGameTime-Play. Best Poins win (use digigal ChessClock or some more Maps like "Extinct Volcano"-Rising Water map or option for "Rising Water" for each map :) also Mainland). 

Use easy-HotKey-Config- Logig for autoCiv that every beginner easily could understand

configurable which should remain the default/standard Map, even if the mod settings have changed.
At the moment its: Greek Acropolis (2) source/simulation2/tests/test_Serializer.h     mapReader->LoadMap(L"maps/skirmishes/Greek Acropolis (2).pmp", public/maps/skirmishes/  acropolis_bay_2p.xml.cached.xmb   acropolis_bay_2p.xml

Edited by seeh
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Itms said:

Don't hesitate to report them :) The full threads are easy to spot, small comments like this can fly under our radar if we are not participating in the thread.

''Concerning Trend'': Almost Half Of All 2022 Web Traffic Came From Bots, Says Study".

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/concerning-trend-almost-half-of-all-2022-internet-traffic-came-from-bots-says-study-4038382/amp/1

https://dailyhive.com/canada/half-web-traffic-bots

• Like 1

I've been playing the game recently and have some suggestions.

First, could the game's unit encyclopedia be expanded to include historical information. I want to know the history behind every single civilization unit and hero.

I love the hole women citizen/ citizen gather mechanics, however I have a few problems with how it works in the current version.

First, I noticed the female citizens are in the support category, but their support effect was removed. Should that be changed?

Second, while female citizens are useful in early game, they are pretty much useless once you get to age three. By then you have enough men to chop wood and mine and all the fruit bushes are gone, and the farms aren't really efficient. I just use the coral and horsemen. If I get attacked, the women all die (they aren't that durable) and my economy is stopped. It is almost more efficient to kill them all, so I can train soldiers.

A solution to this (I think) would give the female citizens a late game form of resource gathering.  I know that in Hellenistic period Greek and other Hellenistic societies the women mostly stayed home.(But not always) At the home I have read that the women sometimes wove cloth for people to sell. Maybe in the third age there should be a house upgrade that if you garrison the female citizens in the houses, they give a small trickle of metal. Garrisoning the women would also protect them from being slaughtered.

So another issue I had is very easy and easy are too easy for me, but in medium I get slaughtered. I don't think it's a skill thing because I've played Age of Empires III Battle For Middle Earth and Empire at War and not had that much of a problem. But before I can even start building soldiers to defend myself, the AI comes in with 40 + soldiers. I know AI in games is tricky, and it might be hard how to iron the kinks out, but I have a suggestion.

Could you change the resource gathering upgrades at the store house's resources? Not how many resources, but what resources I have to use. Because if I am playing and need wood I would naturally want to get the wood upgrade, but I can't because it costs even more wood which I'm going to need for everything else (because everything except female citizens cost wood in the beginning)

I remember in age of empires II realizing that in order to upgrade a resource income you had to use the other two resource and thinking how smart it was gameplay sense. Also, it doesn't seem right that the stone and ore upgrades cost the same resources. Do you think it'd be possible to change the upgrade types to Axes: Metal and Meat, Stone: Wood and Ore, Ore: Wood and Stone? The baskets are fine, but if the others were changed it'd help me be able to get wood quicker early game, which will help me be able to get more men before I get attacked.

It also balances out the fact that two upgrades require stone and metal, which doesn't seem well-balanced.

One last feature request, could you add horse trampling? I loved in Battle For Middle Earth, being able to run orcs over with my horsemen. Trampling is something Calvary did in real life. Units could have trampling and trampling resistance, and you could integrate it with formations so that wedge formations does more "trample effect" than other formations.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

Could you change the resource gathering upgrades at the store house's resources? Not how many resources, but what resources I have to use. Because if I am playing and need wood I would naturally want to get the wood upgrade, but I can't because it costs even more wood which I'm going to need for everything else (because everything except female citizens cost wood in the beginning)

Yes I agree with this suggestion, it is absurd to have:to be  required  in order to upgrade resource gathering that you do not have, simple game-wise .

21 minutes ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

One last feature request, could you add horse trampling? I loved in Battle For Middle Earth, being able to run orcs over with my horsemen. Trampling is something Calvary did in real life. Units could have trampling and trampling resistance, and you could integrate it with formations so that wedge formations does more "trample effect" than other formations

We have barely(recently) added trample damaged to the elephants.

I don't know how long it would take them for other mounted units.

52 minutes ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

So another issue I had is very easy and easy are too easy for me, but in medium I get slaughtered. I don't think it's a skill thing

I do think it's a skill thing. I play with one ally and four medium enemies, and neither me nor my ally die; even if I'm the favorite enemy of all my enemies. And I'm not the world's best player.

This is not to discourage you but instead encourage you that it gets better as you get better. :)

I do think it's a skill thing. I play with one ally and four medium enemies, and neither me nor my ally die; even if I'm the favorite enemy of all my enemies. And I'm not the world's best player.

This is not to discourage you but instead encourage you that it gets better as you get better. 

It is probably a skill thing in some regard. I don't play fast and furious, I like to build myself up slowly. I will work on being better, but the issue is I can't learn if I get killed within the first ten minutes of medium. What I basically meant to say though is I'm not an absolute newbie when it comes to RTS.

In theory it is not difficult at all. You just have to change the costs.

I know. Do you know where I could do that?

Edited by ShadowOfHassen
Update

1 minute ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

It is probably a skill thing in some regard. I don't play fast and furious, I like to build myself up slowly. I will work on being better, but the issue is I can't learn if I get killed within the first ten minutes of medium. What I basically meant to say though is I'm not an absolute newbie when it comes to RTS.

I know. Do you know where I could do that?

Let me ask.

@wowgetoffyourcellphone

Where are the costs of technologies are settled?

@ShadowOfHassen yea a lot of people agree that the women/citizen soldiers roles could be adjusted eco wise, there is some discussion about adding a male economic unit so that citizen soldiers' economic role would be secondary. Interestingly in 1300+ multiplayer it is rare to see corral economy and farming even with 45-50 women is fairly standard, while corral food eco is more population efficient and durable it also requires more focus and is less predictable/reliable in usual 0ad games. 

15 minutes ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

it is rare to see corral economy and farming even with 45-50 women is fairly standard, while corral food eco is more population efficient and durable it also requires more focus and is less predictable/reliable in usual 0ad games. 

The new corral will have its own advantages.

Having animals inside and then generating food, a Rush is better resisted by corrals.

As for beating the AI, this is probably just a little slower eco. Because of citizen soldiers and batch training, as well as other factors, one can pull of a much faster boom in 0ad than in age of empires games. This probably comes as a surprise if you are used to a slower economy like in AOE2. @ValihrAnt has a great economy guide. Here is his youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/@ValihrAnt

I wouldn't oppose changing the costs of the eco techs, but I imagine this could be a point of debate for a lot of people.

You can find technology prices here: https://trac.wildfiregames.com/browser/ps/trunk/binaries/data/mods/public/simulation/data/technologies

As for trample damage, it has been discussed a lot, but I think it would be best implemented in a unique unit, or perhaps a for a class like chariots. Things could get confusing/counterintuitive if all cavalry did trample damage.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Yes I agree with this suggestion, it is absurd to have:to be  required  in order to upgrade resource gathering that you do not have, simple game-wise .

I don't. if it was for me, wood gathering upgrade would only cost wood. it's meant to be a long term investment, not convenient in the immediate future. it's not and it shouldn't be something you go for for immediate relief when you are lacking resources.

• Like 1

@ShadowOfHassen yea a lot of people agree that the women/citizen soldiers roles could be adjusted eco wise, there is some discussion about adding a male economic unit so that citizen soldiers' economic role would be secondary. Interestingly in 1300+ multiplayer it is rare to see corral economy and farming even with 45-50 women is fairly standard, while corral food eco is more population efficient and durable it also requires more focus and is less predictable/reliable in usual 0ad games.

I usually have a few farm fields but don't bother with more because the descriptions say they lose efficiency as they go on. Lat game just cues up 15 or so of the animal meat I can and then have my horsemen slaughter them. I also use fishing boats.

So you mean you'd make the citizen soldiers less effective and add a male citizen that you could train? For some reason I think that would detract from the "In zero AD your soldiers can work" mechanic.

I don't. if it was for me, wood gathering upgrade would only cost wood. it's meant to be a long term investment, not convenient in the immediate future. it's not and it shouldn't be something you go for for immediate relief when you are lacking resources.

I don't think that A. is very intuitive for anyone who comes from age of empires and besides realistically it makes sense. You don't chop trees with wooden axes. You'd need metal for the axe heads and meat to feed the people who improve them. (You could say you need wood for handles, but handle wood is not hard to find, just reuse the old one or grab a good tree branch. You wouldn't need four times as much wood as a house)