Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

Another idea, if it hasn't been thought of already...

Limit the building of town centers to a certain radius, so as to eliminate territories being cut short by the map's border. (Also, perhaps keep everything outside the radius as unexplored, except for the portion of territory that the town center "cuts out" of the darkness.) Edited by 1F409

52 minutes ago, 1F409 said:

Limit the building of town centers to a certain radius, so as to eliminate territories being cut short by the map's border. 

Not in favor. First it would be the player's responsibility to not build in a disadvantageous position. There's also some maps (Ngorongoro) where the starting positions would be outside such a hypothetical radius and it would be difficult to remedy. And sometimes I want to build a CC right next to the map border (for example when it's the only possible position for a forward base).

58 minutes ago, 1F409 said:

(Also, perhaps keep everything outside the radius as unexplored, except for the portion of territory that the town center "cuts out" of the darkness.)

??? Everything that's not explored outside the view from the CC stays unexplored. And you want to explore the darkness?

16 hours ago, 1F409 said:

In case this hasn't been suggested previously...

Add a border to each map, wherein the landscape fades to black with distance. The effects of moving a unit there could vary. One possibility is that the nebulous zone would quietly, but very slowly, transport units to a different point on the periphery (a la trekking through the wilderness, or through foreign lands). Another possibility would be to send units permanently away, for use in subsequent maps of a campaign.

I had the notion that the edge of the usable map would have a dashed line border and beyond that the map grid would extend out to the extent of the player's camera so that you'd never see the edge of the map in normal play. In this buffer zone there would be no templates or entities, only actors.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My humble suggestion: The game is already awesome, you can still make it better of course but what 0AD is missing most of all is not new civs, new units, new features but a larger community of players. So to me it looks wise to prioritize marketing rather than development at this stage. I get to know many people that is still playing Age of Empires 2 and don't even know about 0AD, and the reason they play it is due to the community, because of course 0AD is nowadays much superior. But it lacks that community.

Also: Things like the community mod go against enlarging the community actually. The reason: Now I enter the lobby and find two kinds of games which are not compatible with each other, for me this is a pain but handle it because I already know. But for a newcomer this is just splitting the community.

Edited by gui456wSERTDYF
  • Like 1

# Suggestions for 0 A.D.

when watching as spec/observer a game ints nice that game not stops when i look details of building, units, ... sadly thats different when running a replay. means also sadly  running a replay while recording a video the games stopps. should not.

Edited by seeh

• 2 weeks later...

There is an annoyance when you garnison units into a building which is full when you command them to go into the building. They run go to the building -response is looking fine-  and on arrival they stand there waiting for better times. They do this even when you have made the building empty. you need to give them another command to go in.  Would be nice if there is another check to go in, when they arrive at the building.  When a empty building has gotten full at arrival, a second check  works, so this should be possible.

Just lost a group of promoted archers due to this, albeit I thought they were secured while my attention was needed otherwise...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 15/11/2022 at 9:03 PM, Gurken Khan said:

Not in favor. First it would be the player's responsibility to not build in a disadvantageous position. There's also some maps (Ngorongoro) where the starting positions would be outside such a hypothetical radius and it would be difficult to remedy. And sometimes I want to build a CC right next to the map border (for example when it's the only possible position for a forward base).

??? Everything that's not explored outside the view from the CC stays unexplored. And you want to explore the darkness?

Since you're going to take that tone:  First, I was submitting a suggestion to the suggestion thread, not asking whether it meets with your approval.  Second, the point of my suggestion was to eliminate the anti-realism of having one's territory mysteriously truncated, regardless of whether the location is advantageous.  Third, it appears that you are intentionally taking my words out of context, in order to have a straw man to beat on.  Grow up.

• Confused 1

On 16/11/2022 at 11:53 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I had the notion that the edge of the usable map would have a dashed line border and beyond that the map grid would extend out to the extent of the player's camera so that you'd never see the edge of the map in normal play. In this buffer zone there would be no templates or entities, only actors.

like in total war maps?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1F409 said:

Since you're going to take that tone:  First, I was submitting a suggestion to the suggestion thread, not asking whether it meets with your approval.  Second, the point of my suggestion was to eliminate the anti-realism of having one's territory mysteriously truncated, regardless of whether the location is advantageous.  Third, it appears that you are intentionally taking my words out of context, in order to have a straw man to beat on.  Grow up.

What is the reason for this misunderstanding?

I don't see that he answered in a bad way.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/02/2023 at 2:32 AM, Lion.Kanzen said:

What is the reason for this misunderstanding?

I don't see that he answered in a bad way.

The user's response amounted to little more than, "Your idea's dumb, because it doesn't suit my play style."  That, combined with his imperious "thumbs down" lead-in, convinced me that he was either trying to be a pompous prig or just shooting his mouth off without comprehending the entirety of my argument, either of which would warrant a dressing down.  The post of mine to which he was responding was written in plain English, and isn't nearly technical enough to require extraordinary intelligence to comprehend, so it appeared to me that he was deliberately skewing the details in order to have something to ridicule.  If that was not his intent, then I am satisfied to let the matter rest.

19 minutes ago, 1F409 said:

The user's response amounted to little more than, "Your idea's dumb, because it doesn't suit my play style."  That, combined with his imperious "thumbs down" lead-in, convinced me that he was either trying to be a pompous prig or just shooting his mouth off without comprehending the entirety of my argument, either of which would warrant a dressing down.  The post of mine to which he was responding was written in plain English, and isn't nearly technical enough to require extraordinary intelligence to comprehend, so it appeared to me that he was deliberately skewing the details in order to have something to ridicule.  If that was not his intent, then I am satisfied to let the matter rest.

I don't think I insulted you ( literally).

He never referred to a style of play, he gave as an example a map whose characteristic is a difficult terrain to build.

I sincerely, from experience, which has nothing to do with the style of play, it is not possible to limit the CC to the edge of the map, there would be many areas outside the player's control.

Maps like itmo would complicate you to control the edges.

How about making military upgrades visible by actually changing unit armour/look ? It would be realistic and you would not have to look at unit stats during game to see if the enemy got upgrades. It might be hard for weapons cuz so small, so it could barely be seen and another way would have to be found, but at least for armour it could be helpfull.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MarcusAureliu#s said:

How about making military upgrades visible by actually changing unit armour/look ? It would be realistic and you would not have to look at unit stats during game to see if the enemy got upgrades. It might be hard for weapons cuz so small, so it could barely be seen and another way would have to be found, but at least for armour it could be helpfull.

Well, if the units were modular in appearance, and you could just take the same base unit and generate a texture for it with different cloting. But if you have to create a model for every unit on every level by hand, this is very inefficient and a lot of work for a mainly cosmetic change.

However, this kind of idea can be remembered for the case that there may at some point be an easy way to auto-generate different unit appearances. Such auto-generation itself can cause problems and weird looks on units, so i think it is not easy to implement on the fly.

Always the question whether the ends justify the means, if your resources are limited.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sternstaub said:

Well, if the units were modular in appearance, and you could just take the same base unit and generate a texture for it with different cloting. But if you have to create a model for every unit on every level by hand, this is very inefficient and a lot of work for a mainly cosmetic change.

Every single unit uses one of the 10+ meshes and just changes skin texture, helmets, weapons, shields, greaves... using a system called "variants". Here is an example here https://code.wildfiregames.com/D4938 on a usage of variants for biomes.

Note that this system is quite complex, if you want to handle all the cases, you need n*n variants for names like "tech_a-tech_b-tech_c" and "tech_b-tech_c-tech_d" (One can order techs alphabetically to reduce the amount, but still)

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, sternstaub said:

How realizable would it be to have vision based on terrain, so that units cannot see over hills? Just saw a nice M&B video where the player decieved enemy cavalry. He let them to charge over a hill, where his shieldwall troops were waiting. Maybe such tricks could be applied to 3rd person RTS like 0ad?

https://code.wildfiregames.com/D1905

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...