Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

3 minutes ago, LetswaveaBook said:

What I really experienced as positive about the AoE2 community on voobly, is that how easy it was to play with modded settings.

If someone felt that there was a better way to generate the map, they would install the map and people joining the lobby would automatically download it and be able to play on it.

Yep, this is very desirable. 

Also taking suggestions on how best to define biomes.

Would biome definitions similar to how we define our templates be better?

How much information should be natively supported. (As in you define them and it works, no script changes needed)

Should the biome affect terrain generation? Rainy biomes could have larger rivers. Snowy ones might have frozen walkable lakes. How do you define something like that?

It would be better if the target state is known before commiting to something.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, smiley said:

How much information should be natively supported. (As in you define them and it works, no script changes needed)

Should the biome affect terrain generation? Rainy biomes could have larger rivers. Snowy ones might have frozen walkable lakes. How do you define something like that?

I would say biomes should effect flora, fauna and conditions as you mentioned like frozen lakes.

I don’t think the biome should effect terrain generation all that much. Major differences in terrain should be a separate map script:

for example, aside from mainland, you could have “foothills” - a mainland style random map but with elevation as a focus. This would then have its own biomes, desert, snowy, alpine, etc.

basically the map should have some core features, lake, river, mountain etc and the biomes can change how these look (frozen lake, dried up river for example).

I think the “unknown” maps go in this direction somewhat, and I would love to have a few more of these style of maps!

Edited by real_tabasco_sauce

21 hours ago, smiley said:

with that you could define or put cultures on the maps and other PvE things.

Like mercenary camps.

It would be random to define the culture according to the biome, but surely you would not expect to see Egyptians in Nordic climates.

21 hours ago, smiley said:

These factors are defined by the season. others with geographical accidents and others with several of these.

Think of the Danube or the Mississippi. What defines them?

Both must be dangerous in spring or fall.

In tropical climate there are only 2 factors temperate rainy and dry season.

• 1 month later...

I know this is probably very difficult to simulate, but wouldn't it be awesome to add a burning animation to buildings when they are taking fire damage. The size could scale with the damage rate of the fire.

Large smoke too.

Edited by Pepre

Bring the effects of geographical features to production? E.g. as for the production rate of fields, fertile land and rivers increase it, while barren land and desert decrease it; as for the prices in corral and stable, grassland decreases them, desert increases them.

In addition, weather system? E.g. Rainy weather decreases moving speed and projectile accuracy, foggy weather decreases unit sights and projectile accuracy, sandstorm weather decreases unit sights, moving speed, projectile accuracy as well as all productions.

Edited by GrimPixel
  • Like 1

On 16/09/2022 at 8:34 PM, real_tabasco_sauce said:

I know this is probably very difficult to simulate, but wouldn't it be awesome to add a burning animation to buildings when they are taking fire damage. The size could scale with the damage rate of the fire.

During building of a forge, it shows flames. Maybe such an effect could be shown for buildings when under fire attack. Am I right that the flames gfx need be part of the building gfx, or could they be added on top (without looking ugly)?

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/11/2022 at 8:28 AM, Ceres said:

During building of a forge, it shows flames. Maybe such an effect could be shown for buildings when under fire attack. Am I right that the flames gfx need be part of the building gfx, or could they be added on top (without looking ugly)?

They'd need to be added to every single building manually in blender.

• Thanks 1

In case this hasn't been suggested previously...

Add a border to each map, wherein the landscape fades to black with distance. The effects of moving a unit there could vary. One possibility is that the nebulous zone would quietly, but very slowly, transport units to a different point on the periphery (a la trekking through the wilderness, or through foreign lands). Another possibility would be to send units permanently away, for use in subsequent maps of a campaign.