Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

hi guys 

i wouldnt say I'm a historian but rather a history fanatic with ancient warfare and in doing so its become somewhat of a hobby

any who i just had some suggestions to make

first off would have to be the 2 pila for roman hastati... the grape juice mod does a good job at this but for some reason the infantry misbehave in combat and brake their battle line and rans off to fight some other oak at the back (by the way ammo i think is a very good concept i think you guys should try implement in the future)  

next would be a to give formations bonus stats for the troops involved, for eg. forced march a speed boost maybe at the cost of armor as the infantry are off guard (just an example)

lastly would be to correct some errors with some of the troops (i promise im not trying to be a critic, i love this game and its what started my hobby with ancient warfare) but the phalangtists (pikemen) were lightly armored because their primary defence was there 6 meter serisa pike and also strength in numbers, but i understand you guys did it for balancing proposes

anyway i love this game and these are suggestions... not me criticizing your work, i hope you guys can see what i mean by this :)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Lesser distance between civic centres To be able to make settlements more closer to each other (change limit from 200m to 150m).

New health system Lower health points for units to make combat more realistic and more power for ranked units (quick kill against civilians and low ranked units).

Wider zoom out It would be very usefull in some occassions, especially in moutain areas but also for general map view.

More civilian buildings and miscellaneous objects Like roads, flags, statues, religiuos objects (like crosses, totems, kumirs) etc. gardens, punishment posts, prisons, shacks etc. Just for fun. Civic center could be just single building and other objects arround should be addable separately by player will.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Freagarach said:

Please give them more resistance as well, they die so quickly. :(

I agree with this. It seems to me that they should have a major advantage when shooting from behind battlements, in range, power, and defense. Perhaps they should have no increase in splash damage, like from siege weapons. So keep crush armor the same? But increase pierce and hack.

• Like 1

On 27/01/2022 at 6:35 AM, Lion.Kanzen said:

Do you think it can be handled externally for review?

In an archive so that it is available to users.

Would there be an issue reusing Wikipedia? We could maybe make a little note at the bottom "from Wikipedia"

Edited by myou5e

10 hours ago, myou5e said:

I agree with this. It seems to me that they should have a major advantage when shooting from behind battlements, in range, power, and defense. Perhaps they should have no increase in splash damage, like from siege weapons. So keep crush armor the same? But increase pierce and hack.

in another discussion, it was suggested to increase garrison space to 16 on the largest wall segments. Part of their apparent weakness is that only 8 can sit on a wall, usually against many more units.

I think their existing armor bonus is enough.

Edited by real_tabasco_sauce

• 3 weeks later...

If I don't offer this, then I'll blame myself for the missed opportunity.

It will be awesome if 0 A.D. would have "Post-Imperial" age like Age of Empires 2 with all completed upgrades right on the start. It will be VERY useful on small maps with small resources.:D

(oh, please:angel:)

11 hours ago, DeWynter said:

I mean that you can play skirmish with standard conditions, but with skipping of any tech researching because playing with elite full upgraded units straightaway is more funny (for me). Also cheats may be blocked at multiplayer. Maybe devs could add this feature to game? It's like starting from post-imperial Age at Age of Empires 2. Without any time or cheats manipulations...

Edited by DeWynter
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 24/07/2022 at 9:56 AM, DeWynter said:

New suggestion: allow to upgrade palisades into stone walls and centry towers intro stone towers.

The former would be nice. Maybe not upgrade them into full-fledged city walls, but a stone version of palisades would be cool.

To the latter, it's already possible to upgrade Sentry Towers to Defense Towers. :) 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

The former would be nice. Maybe not upgrade them into full-fledged city walls, but a stone version of palisades would be cool.

To the latter, it's already possible to upgrade Sentry Towers to Defense Towers. :) 

I suppose you can do it through promotion too. Might run into trouble due to palisade tower size, though.

Since we are talking about walls.

============= Idea for phase 1 wall=======================================

In previous alphas in Skirmish map Alpine Mountains, we had wall which had forward leaning wood pike covered with some bushes (instead of current phase 1 wood wall which has vertically align pikes).

We can bring that wooden wall back with forward leaning pikes, and if a unit run into they take will take damage. Damage logic can be as follows.

1. Unit will take X dps (for exmple 1 damage per second)  as long as they are running into walls/touching it.
or
2. Unit will take X dps for Y seconds (for example 0.2 dps for 5 sec) and this damage can stack. 

This will insure that walls are useful

====================== Idea for phase 2/city walls===============================

1. Add default arrow to turrent by upgrading it. Right now player just destroy one part of the wall and raid easily.
2. Garriosned turrent should fire arrow, I think they are disabled currently.
3. A little extreme idea but catas and bolts garrion on the wall. ( I think this is also discussed somewhere on the fourm)

4 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Wouldn't they look... weak?

Yeah, my suggestion is probably different from OP's, who is probably suggesting a palisade -> city walls upgrade. I'm suggesting something more like a block or stone rubble wall upgrade, using the same palisade footprints. Maybe a +50% health upgrade or something. 

I'd like if the palisade was differentiated as being an anti-cav defense, specifically, as many proposed already, if it had special resistance to cav in order to slow it down properly. I'd like if palisades were more "spiky", it would make them look cooler and different than stone rocks, not just inferior. But I oppose adding aura damage if that means units stop to receive harm without going away. a cheap solution for that would be applying damage to units that attack spiky palisades - a kind of "thorns" attribute.

5 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

A rolling poll, that slowly discards old ideas and adds new ones would be neat.

An internet classic. Thanks for bringing this back to my attention.

Here is a suggestion:

Reduce vision range of all soldiers by 15 meters. I think it is currently too easy to see enemies far in advance. This will bring more surprise to the game.

Here is a balance suggestion that should be done sooner rather than later: make vision range of cavalry the same as the vision of infantry.

Why:

Cavalry can already avoid fights very easily and already perform well as a scout because of mobility.

Edited by real_tabasco_sauce
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

An internet classic. Thanks for bringing this back to my attention.

Here is a suggestion:

Reduce vision range of all soldiers by 15 meters. I think it is currently too easy to see enemies far in advance. This will bring more surprise to the game.

Here is a balance suggestion that should be done sooner rather than later: make vision range of cavalry the same as the vision of infantry.

Why:

Cavalry can already avoid fights very easily and already perform well as a scout because of mobility.

Agreed