Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

37 minutes ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

yeah but nobody plays iberians now

I played them by chance last time, the Kushites destroy me  I saw myself unable to turn the game around, I saw myself humiliated.

I must clarify that was in the Thorfin's mod.

Not much difference with A24 / 25 by the way.

I'll play again to see if it was just an negligence by me.

4 minutes ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

@Lion.Kanzen

well, in general, non-archer civs lose to archer civs for a24. I hope that this is not a strong trend for a25. If a25 is more exciting and balanced in play, I think it is a great position to make progress with civ differentiation.

I did not see any change unfortunately.

Just small changes and now the elephants have area damage.

Honestly i see no reason to not nerf ranged units to the ground, don't take this the wrong way as i am not ranting, but because ranged units will always have range ( duh) and will always be good in defending something and even better when in large groups. But right now i feel it is very difficult to exploit and punish a ranged army( not even an archer based army , even a 65 skirms and 20 spears army) for being out of position but this may also be to due to the fact that setting up defenses is rather easy and you aint gonna do jack **** to defensive buildings without siege.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

I did not see any change unfortunately.

Just small changes and now the elephants have area damage.

hmm I might be understanding the diff things wrong, but I thought I saw one that increases spread by .5 and makes them a bit slower than slingers and even slower than skirms. I think it was -.6/0/+.6. I hope the archer changes are enough to counterbalance the ele changes, because right now if eles were any more op, I think we would ban mauryans in 4v4s.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

hmm I might be understanding the diff things wrong, but I thought I saw one that increases spread by .5 and makes them a bit slower than slingers and even slower than skirms. I think it was -.6/0/+.6. I hope the archer changes are enough to counterbalance the ele changes, because right now if eles were any more op, I think we would ban mauryans in 4v4s.

Yesterday they balance them again.

https://code.wildfiregames.com/D4048

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Suggestion: Don't have buildings' descriptions make promises they can't keep.

Specifically I think the description for the Egyptian Mercenary Camp (Wild Lake) should be corrected, as one can totally not train mercs from Hellenistic Egypt as promised when capturing that building. Or even better, make those mercs available! :)

9 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

Specifically I think the description for the Egyptian Mercenary Camp (Wild Lake) should be corrected, as one can totally not train mercs from Hellenistic Egypt as promised when capturing that building. Or even better, make those mercs available! :)

@Yekaterina
maybe a patch for you ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

So do you want the mercs to be available or do you want me to just change the description? I guess I will just change the description for now so as not to upset the balancing advisors. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

So do you want the mercs to be available or do you want me to just change the description? I guess I will just change the description for now so as not to upset the balancing advisors. 

I guess that's ok, although I'd liked the mercs! :)

Of course I wouldn't want to upset the balancing advisors either, although I don't know if Wild Lake is a popular MP map as it seems pretty unbalanced.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

Is there maybe a way to avoid player names like xy II II?

I think the problem is caused by too many Persian AIs. At the beginning of a match the Petra Bot picks a name from a list of available names for each civ. Two of the AIs have decided to pick the name Darayavahush II (Darius the Second), so it adds an extra II to distinguish. 

Possible solutions:

1. Add more AI names. This hugely reduces the probability of this happening but it still remains possible. 

2. Add a command to the Petra AI that bans the use of names already chosen. This is more difficult to implement and also needs more names as there are 6 Persian names as far as I am aware. 

So we need historians @Thorfinn the Shallow Minded to come up with more names for each civ. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

I think the problem is caused by too many Persian AIs. [...]

2. Add a command to the Petra AI that bans the use of names already chosen. This is more difficult to implement and also needs more names as there are 6 Persian names as far as I am aware.

Naturally I'm aware it only happens with multiple AIs with the same civ. But I think it would be nice if the available names were used before resorting to sth like II II. :)

1 minute ago, Gurken Khan said:

Naturally I'm aware it only happens with multiple AIs with the same civ. But I think it would be nice if the available names were used before resorting to sth like II II. :)

Yeah I get your frustration. The chance of what you just saw happening is very low. With more names I am sure we can make it near impossible. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

0.A.D could benefit from visual things like a day-and-night cycle as well as different weather that occurs randomly(like dry, cloudy, stormy, rainy, etc.) They don’t have to have any effect on the gameplay, but they would make it more immersive. Credit to this idea goes to L Gunther. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...