Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

• 1 month later...

Enjoyed this game while playing, but I noticed a serious thing that affects later gameplay (I like to play for longer periods, not just rush for victory), or early gameplay if I start with lots of resources (3k or 50k). Wherever I played, at some point I got attacked by a mass of battering rams (if enemies could make them). 10 of these can wreck a massive, carefully constructed 3-layer stone wall in less than a minute or 2 and I end up with couple of holes in that wall with enemies pouring in. I do like the current battering rams, they are like tanks on the battlefield (although they historically weren't used that way I still like them), but I think you should limit the maximum number of these to 2 or 3. Maybe also make them more vulnerable to file damage from ballistas. Also another suggestion would be to make enemies build more wooden walls. So far I haven't seen a wooden wall on the enemy side. They usually make a stone wall if they have resources and only for main base. When they make extension to the main base, they don't fortify it at all.

• Like 1

I've noticed that after an attack fails on the enemy, they just sit there. You seem to have to tell them to attack again in the diplomacy menu. I'm not sure if they switch back to economic focus and stay there or if they even try to manage the economy after that. It could be they call all citizen-soldiers to join the fight and take a heavy drop to the economy. I don't know but it gets annoying when you think you have help clearing the map in conquest and you're stuck doing everything.

• 2 months later...

Only being able to build walls inside of your borders is annoying and tedious. It takes so long to build them already, and when I have to wait for my borders to be sufficient the wall is pointless because I am being hit with an attack. PLEASE allow us to build walls outside of our borders. All the turtlers are wincing right now playing this game. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BobDole777 said:

Only being able to build walls inside of your borders is annoying and tedious. It takes so long to build them already, and when I have to wait for my borders to be sufficient the wall is pointless because I am being hit with an attack. PLEASE allow us to build walls outside of our borders. All the turtlers are wincing right now playing this game. 

How could turtlers win, if walls are - as you say - useless?

Yes, I found a problem. Every time when I built the fence, when the enemy attacked, they could attack the walls of my army and civilians outside the stone wall.            

Every time they play games they (AI) never build walls to defend them, don't they build a wall?

Edited by gameboy

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I'm new player,  after about 20 hrs in game, I think it would be nice to share something I have in mind here:

1. Maybe add a key for barrack or town center to gather the warriors around?
  2. Is it possible to change the capture mechanic to a rather Cossack way (buildings and siegeweapon with no army around nor garrison inside can be instant captured, otherwise you can only attack and destroy)? Waving hands and arms makes my army looks very friendly rather than bad @#$%, don't mention that you have to drag your warriors every few seconds to prevent them from stopping.
  3. Add auto production for Corral is possible? For example, every corral produce 1 sheep/ goat/ pig per 40 seconds without food cost. (the grain field produce food all year round with no extra seed cost, so why not let the corral be something like that as well?) It will save player a lot of time on town management, and spend them on mid/late game warfare.
  4. Basic militia should cost no wood nor stone, specially stone. The militia back then prepare equipment themselves. Also, if the immersive is what the game design want to achieve, then the militia's helmet and shield should cost metal as well. Meanwhile, there can be an edit that make basic militia also require metal and wood to improve the training speed. And I think it will make wooden wall appears more as the player no longer need them to build the skeleton of the army.
  5. I personally dont like the ideal that only temple, barrack and healer can heal units, I think it would be better to let the houses to be able to heal as well. Home sweet home, right?

I like the idea of gathering the combat units when the alarm sounds but making the workers drop off the resources they are gathering too. Most good player seldom sound the alarm unless the attack is heavy. 

Capturing the building shouldn’t be too hard though but not instant. Recapturing non military structure that doesn’t fire projectile shouldn’t be too hard eithe maybe 2.5 x the strength of the enemy inside. 

Auto production of corral probably is nice especially if the herding of food hunts is implemented. 

As a player and gamer I don’t really like monks or priests healing wounded organic units to full strength. Technology like in mod 0abc to make structures heal wounded units is fine but should cost more (variable) depending on the number of selected structures allowed to do it. Right now it’s still ok to make the priest heal but must need a tech to do that especially healers are needed on no cavalry games. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ioci said:

Hello everyone,

I'm new player,  after about 20 hrs in game, I think it would be nice to share something I have in mind here:

1. Maybe add a key for barrack or town center to gather the warriors around?
  2. Is it possible to change the capture mechanic to a rather Cossack way (buildings and siegeweapon with no army around nor garrison inside can be instant captured, otherwise you can only attack and destroy)? Waving hands and arms makes my army looks very friendly rather than bad @#$%, don't mention that you have to drag your warriors every few seconds to prevent them from stopping.
  3. Add auto production for Corral is possible? For example, every corral produce 1 sheep/ goat/ pig per 40 seconds without food cost. (the grain field produce food all year round with no extra seed cost, so why not let the corral be something like that as well?) It will save player a lot of time on town management, and spend them on mid/late game warfare.
  4. Basic militia should cost no wood nor stone, specially stone. The militia back then prepare equipment themselves. Also, if the immersive is what the game design want to achieve, then the militia's helmet and shield should cost metal as well. Meanwhile, there can be an edit that make basic militia also require metal and wood to improve the training speed. And I think it will make wooden wall appears more as the player no longer need them to build the skeleton of the army.
  5. I personally dont like the ideal that only temple, barrack and healer can heal units, I think it would be better to let the houses to be able to heal as well. Home sweet home, right?

1-planned

2- there are many alternatives.

3- not implemented yet.

4-to discuss

5- hmmm not sure.

6 hours ago, MlemandPurrs said:

I have noticed units appearance upgrades with rank. This means will almost never see their iconic gear on Hoplites as frontline units they tend to be 'expendable'.

I can suggest the looks upgrade be tied to blacksmith researches like it is in Age of Mythology.

We have some related in one of mods "Delenda Est" but still missing feature.

• Like 1

Hello, I'm trying 0AD Venustas after sometime without playing 0AD and Petra is kind of kicking my @#$%. I think is hard to adapt to gameplay changes. So I have some suggestions to make users "learn" how to play easier.

1. Nice loading screens with some advice for gameplay (it would be better if this advice is related to latest changes).

2. Ingame wiki. I remember when playing AoM there was a wiki and you could click on the portrait of each unit/building and a page popped up showing as much historical information as in-game unit stats, and some advice like "good against: cavalry, projectile", "weak against: infantry, swords" or whatever. But I think there is no official wiki for 0ad and maintining it is extra work.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IberianJavelinMan said:

1. Nice loading screens with some advice for gameplay (it would be better if this advice is related to latest changes).

Sounds like a good idea, but we would need someone writing them. Till then: there is a tutorial for basic economic things.

2. Ingame wiki. I remember when playing AoM there was a wiki and you could click on the portrait of each unit/building and a page popped up showing as much historical information as in-game unit stats, and some advice like "good against: cavalry, projectile", "weak against: infantry, swords" or whatever. But I think there is no official wiki for 0ad and maintining it is extra work

Guess what feature is coming for the next alpha ;) (which will be released soon)

• Like 1

Hello, I'm trying 0AD Venustas after sometime without playing 0AD and Petra is kind of kicking my @#$%. I think is hard to adapt to gameplay changes. So I have some suggestions to make users "learn" how to play easier.

2. Ingame wiki. I remember when playing AoM there was a wiki and you could click on the portrait of each unit/building and a page popped up showing as much historical information as in-game unit stats, and some advice like "good against: cavalry, projectile", "weak against: infantry, swords" or whatever. But I think there is no official wiki for 0ad and maintining it is extra work.

The encyclppedia..? we hace something similar but need more information.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JC (naval supremacist) said:

This might have been said already but allowing someone in the lobby to rejoin and play in the slot of someone who left the game without resign  would be nice

Yep, that is planned for (hopefully) the next alpha after we got in the anti-smurf patch.

Do you have any suggestion about how it should work in detail?

The problem is: you need to differentiate between a connection loss and someone really leaving the game, so that nobody can "steal" your slot if just had a short connection loss.

Maybe some timeout, or a voting system?

• Like 1

On 3.3.2018 at 11:13 AM, Imarok said:
On 3.3.2018 at 7:48 AM, IberianJavelinMan said:

Sounds like a good idea, but we would need someone writing them. Till then: there is a tutorial for basic economic things.

So if you have ideas, feel free to post them.

20 hours ago, Imarok said:

So if you have ideas, feel free to post them.

I would need to spend more hours in game to be able to advice anyone who to play :)

But for example I saw that champions are not trained any more in fortresses. I think it's a quite important change to have in mind when you start a new game. There is no changelog for alpha releases? I can't find it. Maybe it would be nice to popup a window when the game starts after updating with a summary of latest changes (I don't know it's possible).

1 hour ago, IberianJavelinMan said:

I would need to spend more hours in game to be able to advice anyone who to play :)

But for example I saw that champions are not trained any more in fortresses. I think it's a quite important change to have in mind when you start a new game. There is no changelog for alpha releases? I can't find it. Maybe it would be nice to popup a window when the game starts after updating with a summary of latest changes (I don't know it's possible).

Which?

Here is the changelog for A22

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Alpha22

• 2 weeks later...

A few things I really hope will be eventually included in 0 A.D.:

• make adding, renaming, or removing damage types as easy as changing resources; hack/pierce/crush is currently hard-coded; if one were to make a fantasy mod, he'd probably want to have different damage types, e.g. fire, ice, lightning, poison, etc.
  • have a generic armour, which applies to all damage types, unless otherwise specified
  • display gatherer counts ( https://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/643 )
  • automatically display attack multipliers (cf. auras) and remove the need to manually specify bonus attacks in tooltip strings

I guess these features have been requested before, but it doesn't hurt asking again :)

• Like 3

I suggest AI range units should be programmed to not fire on enemy units that are within ally/friendly melee units range. This will make range units versus range units in the battlefield. And melee to melee too. This will also eliminate some micro on the range units. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Servo said:

I suggest AI range units should be programmed to not fire on enemy units that are within ally/friendly melee units range. This will make range units versus range units in the battlefield. And melee to melee too. This will also eliminate some micro on the range units. 

No. this isn't realistic.

• Stan` featured this topic