Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

1-for now we have Lag on gigantic map, I'm not sure but we can go far to our own maximum size. @FeXoR can help me with that question?

2-ladder to climb walls need a lot of code and modify the pathfinder.

3-many time ago the time decided say no to regeneration, but still open in discuss each time a player ask for that.

4-I'm not sure how difficult can be that, remember RoN isn't a full 3D engine. Our game is full 3D. With sappers we discuss that and its possibly but again another things hard to implement easily. Metal represent gold, silver, iron, copper, bronze.

about tunnels.

5-I'm against this, the game is not based in RoN, and that one things why RoN wasn't funny for me, probably implement this broke the meta and take lot of time, if will be implement must be in mods. 0 A.D is based in AoE series, mostly influencies by AOK and AoM.

6- yes I love RoN interface and alerts to but for now no are plans to evolving a new interface, we evolving in A16-17 and previously in A8-9. The evolving his open but we are evolving with our 3D art and create more high resolution icons.

7-that's we call wonders, and have their own real scale compared with our real scale about 2/3, isn't planned change that.

8- one my favorites topic of all the time, the team says no and another guys (like me) say yes, but we must have first many features in gameplay , before implement a monk conversion. Because the game needs several situation where an entity pass for one player to another. I give the technical discuss to you have an idea how hard to implement is it, but will be funny for devs and modders

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/997

Thanks for having this game and hope hard copies can be available too when the game becomes Beta!

Hard copies can be avaible?

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

I think most designers and expert players are focused more on multiplayer types of  gameplays but if you consider the percentage of players (multi/single) online on a gaming platform (like steam) how many plays the multi and how many plays the single player on RTS games? I guess there are more players playing against AI. Most of the time I play online against AI with friends the game goes through to finish with minimal problem or no gameplay problem at all while if I play with friends who are good players the game have so many issues like lag or crashing etc. Sometimes you finish the game but you make enemies due to loss or disappointment. Now you want to play multi but there's no room that matches your liking what will you do? If you're intermediate player and the available rooms are for pros, noob, friends and known only what will you do? There are so many instances where what your option at those situations is to play AI. 

I based this experience by playing RoN coz I like the game than any others like AoE, Civilization, Stronghold, Empire Earth and other medieval RTS games. We have different likes but I hope you guys make this beautiful game playing against AI more interesting and challenging. Every time I logged on to play RoN I can see around average of 500 players online but how many rooms are playing multi? Not even close to 50 people. Sometimes it reach around 1000 and sometimes peak at 3 to 4 thousands how many plays multi? Maybe not even close to a hundred! I started playing this game last Saturday and I logged ridiculous hours already playing against AI. Prior to this I was averaging 5 hours on weekdays and close to 8 hours on weekend days playing just an "assasin" game against AI on RoN. I played so many hours on AoE 2, Civ5, Stronghold 2, Empire Earth and LoTR but since I started playing 0AD it seems like I going to spend countless hours on this and much more than any other game. 

I had so many wishes for the game to have but I guess I will be enjoying this game more with just a bigger map and road generating merchants or any possibility that roads can be established between civic centers. "Moats" are good bonus too!:mellow:

Edited by Servo

Hi @Servo !

@Map sizes: The biggest maps in 0 A.D. (original content only) are 512x512 terrain tiles ("Giant" for random maps).
There are several maps available of that size (Likely not a complete list!):
- Scenarios: Necropolis, Peleponnesian War
- Skirmishes: Two Seas
- Random maps: All (change the map size option on the bottom right to "Giant")

Bigger maps are possible (2084x2048 tile maps has been reported to be played on) but I wouldn't recommend it.

I also like regenerating resources/living maps (y)

Have a pleasent stay ;)

• Like 2

Awesome! Maybe I was too lazy to explore and navigate game options but there it is the bigger maps! Though it's hard to choose which one to use before launching the game for an enjoyable long game because it's random. Anyhow inconvenient as it maybe because I have to launch, save and reload the best map that I like to play but it's ok. Loaded one medium map and it was really nice! Like an Amazon forest with plentiful resources!  The map is Rouen. Bravo! I can choose map now by using random in map type and I could adjust the size! 

I could use the Athenian bonus to build walls on neutral territory so the map will not be denuded in a very very long game!

Edited by Servo

11 minutes ago, Gandulf said:

The battering ramms are too powerful. 2 of them can destroy 1 civ center and a few towers, still having more than half hp. And that is without the upgrade. The resistance and/or hp should be lowered, but the attack is ok since it's a close-range siege. 

They are really weak against units wich deal Hack damage (swordmen for example, champion spearmen or slingers are not so bad at it too).

So the attacker and the defender must do strategic/tactical choices.

• Like 1

Yeah, Siege Walls aren't really that big of a deal to prevent the Romans from having the Sentry Tower. It isn't even that big of a deal for me if the Romans can't build the Sentry Tower, since I don't really use them. It just seems like a waste for them to not be buildable when the model is available.

Also, the Entrenched Army Camp could use some attention, the order of the units in the training list is different from the Barracks and the Eques Socius (Italian Allied Cavalry) was never added to the training list.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, sphyrth said:

A Compass for the Map. No need to explain why it's a Nice-to-have.

Compass.png

But what I kind of want as a consequence is to make that gold map border a little bit thicker so that I could use it to rotate the camera angle and (therefore) the map.

also pings on the minimap, different color for resources since they are hard to find. Animals to hunt are hardly recognizable in the minimap, and when a player has yellow color, it is harder to see blinking white dots when underattack, and yellow is easly be confused with a metal mine.

Darker Brown for animals, in that way they won't confuse with terrain, and same color can apply for bushes too since they its food aswell, actually bushes have same color of the orange player, or maybe pink, like the color of the meat. Stone is ok, and metal and yellow player color could swap colors since with a darker yellow, a blinking white dot could be seen easier than a lighter tone and, in my opinion, it is more eye candy than the actual yellow color :P

• Like 1

On 03/02/2017 at 0:49 PM, Grugnas said:

Darker Brown for animals, in that way they won't confuse with terrain, and same color can apply for bushes too since they its food aswell, actually bushes have same color of the orange player, or maybe pink, like the color of the meat. Stone is ok, and metal and yellow player color could swap colors since with a darker yellow, a blinking white dot could be seen easier than a lighter tone and, in my opinion, it is more eye candy than the actual yellow color :P

You don't provide a color set ;-)

else: https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/20753-new-minimap-colors/#comment-316452

• Like 1

On 03/02/2017 at 0:49 PM, Grugnas said:

You don't provide a color set ;-)

else:

With regards to roman sentry towers:

On 30.1.2017 at 7:20 PM, LordGood said:

It's a wasted building otherwise, they get siege walls, not lime towers. I don't think it would be too op

It would remove the civ specificness that Romans dont have defensive buildings in age 1. For example they don't have wooden walls and their siege walls only appear in age 3.

If you want to present the model we could make the sentry towers an age 2 building (perhaps the stone tower even age 3)

fatherbushido added a patch in https://code.wildfiregames.com/D129 but I'm not 100% convinced yet

• 3 weeks later...
  • Stan` featured this topic