Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

23 hours ago, SeleucidKing said:

Like, a passive dissapation of Xp while not in combat? Those are my thoughts exactly.  For the duration of a vet unit being tasked on a resource, it slowly loses Xp and levels. Once it stops resourcing, the Xp dissipation stops, and stabilizes. This way, an elite unit that is set to guard stays elite.

Soo... We (Lion.Kanzen and I) discussed this in a different thread, and I think it would be an awesome idea.

• Like 2

How about making the default stance for all Petras "Defensive".  It's really annoying that you run a scout through their town, and the attackers will chase your scout for twenty minutes across the map, until you forget about them, then all of a sudden you get a "You're being attacked!" notification, because they finally caught up with your scout.  Also, it makes hit and fades impossible....

• 1 month later...

I am here to suggest that the Britain +5 hero's price be raised to at least four times it's current cost. For only 50 of each resource you can have the most powerful hero in the game, a hero that makes the brythonic swordsmen as fast as horses, and stronger than the Romans simply due to speed. Also maybe some stat balancing between civs????

As a primarily Mauryan player, it would be great to have a champ that does something other than nothing. And even with their +2 attack they are weaker than Romans, Gauls, Macedonians, and without doubt the Britains. For those who say Mauryans have heros, that may be true! And absolutely none but the elephant do anything. Sure they would be powerful if what they did what they are said to do like the 4+ special research techs which don't exist, and the empowering building thing. I still love them and I love the devs for bringing the game this far, just maybe in one of the next versions if this could be taken care of, that would be great :D

@Trionkali : as often said, don't forget that the game is still alpha, so balancing has no real sense (a feature can change all). Speaking of britons, they have good champs, good eco, but poor buildings. Don't forget that the aura is local (in a18 it was global), without the hero, iberians champs are bettter.

Edited by fatherbushido
  • Like 1

If you want the incremental updates then run the svn version instructions on how to do this are here http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/TortoiseSVN_Guide it gives you access to the latest code between releases there is also the fact that there is an auto-built Windows exe so you do not have to compile from source code doing as you suggest for a project under heavy development that is generating binary update patches is actually not a trivial matter.Linux and OSX users have to compile from source code if the use the svn version as compiling in Windows is again not trivial.

Enjoy the Choice :)     

I proposed a burning mechanism here and added some ideas for balancing here. This would make warfare more realistic and especially burning projectiles could benefit from it. You would also have to be more cautious when placing your (wooden) buildings.

We could introduce e.g. the following xml-tags in the structure templates:

<Burning>
  <isFlammable>boolean</isFlammable>
  <burnRadius>positiveDecimal</burnRadius>
  <igniteRadius>Decimal</igniteRadius>
  <igniteHpRatio>positiveDecimal</igniteHpRatio>
  <igniteDelay>nonNegativeInteger</igniteDelay>
  <burnDamage>nonNegativeDecimal</burnDamage>
  <canBeStopped>boolean</canBeStopped>
  <maxBurnTime>nonNegativeInteger</maxBurnTime>
</Burning>

isFlammable: When set to true, the structure can take fire.
burnRadius: Radius of the area which is affected by the "fire aura". Units in this area will take fire damage.
igniteRadius: Is added to the burnRadius in order to determine if the building can catch fire from another building in the vicinity. Tough buildings have negative values (so they need to be very close to the fire) while buildings with e.g. straw roofs have positive values (can be ignited easily with e.g. sparks even from a distance).
igniteHpRatio: Must be >0 and <=1. If the building's igniteHpRatio >= currentHp/maxHp it can be ignited, otherwise it must take further damage from other sources before it can catch fire.
igniteDelay: Number of milliseconds all other burning conditions have to be met in order to set the building on fire.
burnDamage: Number of HP the building loses per second while on fire.
canBeStopped: Determines if the burning can be stopped by external events like rain weather (perhaps implemented in the future) or by citizen soldiers using a "fire brigade" command (replaces repairing for structures on fire).
maxBurnTime: Number of milliseconds after which the building stops burning automatically. If set to 0, the building will burn until it is destroyed.

Of course we could simplify the mechanism and leave out some tags, so all buildings share a certain default value.

Edited by Palaxin
  • Like 2

alright, as it stands, a battering ram does more damage to my pike formation than a freight train. I don't understand why we went back to the pierce+hack hybrid for spears and pikes. It should be melee - ranged - and siege, these added mixed types makes pikemen obsolete late game. They make wonderful heavy infantry, but the seleucids have no barracks units suitable to take down siege equipment, and as I see it, melee units have to beat siege weapons if they close with them. all siege needs to be situational.

that said, what would you guys think of a mantlet unit? I hear a lot of talk of nerfing defense and ranged units, a slow pierce armor aura  siege unit might do the trick?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LordGood said:

alright, as it stands, a battering ram does more damage to my pike formation than a freight train. I don't understand why we went back to the pierce+hack hybrid for spears and pikes. It should be melee - ranged - and siege, these added mixed types makes pikemen obsolete late game. They make wonderful heavy infantry, but the seleucids have no barracks units suitable to take down siege equipment, and as I see it, melee units have to beat siege weapons if they close with them. all siege needs to be situational.

A lot of the stats in the game are weird. The pierce+hack of spears makes things unclear and muddle, and is one example. Vision and archer ranges are extreme and create imbalances. Costs are out of control, with many units and techs costing 3 or 4 resource? Battering rams are TANKS. Situation is getting way far afield as they say.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, LordGood said:

that said, what would you guys think of a mantlet unit? I hear a lot of talk of nerfing defense and ranged units, a slow pierce armor aura  siege unit might do the trick?

Mantlet units would give more diversity to ram-only civs.

• Like 1

The ancient age mod for Aoe III used a miner unit: was basically an infantry unit that changed to a shed, doing damage without projectile. Maybe it could be implemented for ram only civs, but allowing to targe only walls, turrents and fortress. With a long range like stone-throwers, and a limit of 2 (for example). 

2 hours ago, LordGood said:

I read that greeks and romans did use large mantlets, but there's no real reason to give them extra siege weapons, they already have them all, pretty much.

perhaps  tunneler units for celts and iberians?

1 hour ago, av93 said:

The ancient age mod for Aoe III used a miner unit: was basically an infantry unit that changed to a shed, doing damage without projectile. Maybe it could be implemented for ram only civs, but allowing to targe only walls, turrents and fortress. With a long range like stone-throwers, and a limit of 2 (for example). 

I read on this forum a long time ago about Siege Tunnel idea to undermine wall and defensive structure.

• 4 weeks later...

I want to suggest some new combat and gameplay mechanics (I'm not sure if I had suggested these two before, but I posted something about the wounded-walk animation on the new unit mesh thread several days ago)

1.) Critical hit and Stumbling

• X% chance for a unit to perform critical hit, charge attack doubles the chance for a critical hit.
  • Units that are hit by a critical attack will stumble and won't be able to attack for a couple of seconds, until they can stand up again (Stumbling animation needed)

-Cavalry units can also stumble infantry units (Infantry units in a tight formation like testudo, phalanx and shield wall had lower chance to stumble)

-These can be seen in Total war series' fight scenes, where the battles look more alive because of the causal stumbling of units.

2.) Wounded walk

• The walk animation of units with lower than 25%  hp will switch to a wounded walk animation, unit speed also decreases by 50-75%

- Wounded unit rescuing will be harder

- Retreating becomes more crucial and can cause higher fatalities.

-The only RTS that I remember using this mechanics was Battle Realms.

I hope you guys find this suggestion interesting, it can add flavor to 0AD's combat system.

Edited by wackyserious
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Stan` featured this topic