Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

Sorry to hear, but sadly Apple has made it too difficult for us to support older versions. Especially since we have very few developers who have got a Mac, and the ones who have got one can only afford to have one computer with one version of the operating system installed.

No problem, I don't blame you. I place blame on two main entities:

1. Apple- For just being apple and as you said, SUPREMELY HARD TO WORK WITH! :crash:

2. My family and I for being so cheap with our computers :very-sad:

uh... huh? The problem is, 0ad is burning too much power and therefore overheating my laptop faster than necessary. Doesn't matter what it's burning the power for.

the game is not enough optimized yet, many of us have that problem, but aren't the frame , try don't use shadows and don't play in huge map or many units in maps , the lag happens when Ai try to spam many units to attack so This way the CPU try to calculate the pathfinder for an army and over heat your computer.

Theoretically couldn't you limit the amount of cores or at least reduce the clock frequency in the BIOS or using overclocking tools to underclock. Or switch the display update rate down or something.

Perhaps even a giant fan, keeping the DVD slot open, removing the battery plastic cover might help, but I'm guessing and consider the additional electricity consumption.

Instead open the task manager and terminate all processes you can get rid of. Also tune down that display brightness as far as possible. You can get used to a darker screen.

No idea what else could help. Perhaps windowed mode and having a smaller 0AD window area?

Or really add this FPS setting but who knows how complicated it may be.

Just a thing quite useful find out to be usefull
It would be more practical if the last used parameters (map, game mode, game speed etc...) in scenario mode were keep in memory for the next time the player get to the scénario menu

Should be hard to do, right ?

This and player and Ai parameters when changing maps in the drop menu on the right.

Could we jointly create a patch for the GUI files to write to the config and reload this data again? Then we could create a trac ticket and it might be adopted.

hey folks !

just an idea to share about formations.

As they will allow an important advantage to its user, i fear that next alpha will be formation party...

So, to prevent this, and to allow some "normal fights" without them, why not creating a technology named "battler order" which allow you to use these special formations (testudo , phalanx...).

I personnaly see this tech available at the age2.

any opinion dudes?

hey folks !

just an idea to share about formations.

As they will allow an important advantage to its user, i fear that next alpha will be formation party...

So, to prevent this, and to allow some "normal fights" without them, why not creating a technology named "battler order" which allow you to use these special formations (testudo , phalanx...).

I personnaly see this tech available at the age2.

any opinion dudes?

Sounds good. :)

Greeting, after several day playing, here my suggestions list to improve the game.

• Patrol option: give a tool allowing player and AI to set patrol point and lets units to patrols those points. See sample picture.
  • Rotating position: give a directional unit position. Something similar as Hearth Empire where stand unit could rotate to the requested direction with out to move. See sample picture.
  • Attack zone: allow player to select a zone to attack instead a special unit. Then, in this zone, units will seek and destroy every units. Player lets AI to choose the AI to attack. We can see this in Supreme Commander 2. See sample picture.
  • Back in position: I noticed that in keep position the units back in position. But, it will be nice to extend this ability to all type of attacks.
  • Road and bridges: well, a little cosmetic content, but, allow player to create road and bridge directly in game.
  • Domination campaign: it will be nice to have a kind of world map, a bit as we can see in the Total Wars, but in real time, with a real time economy, and a real AI/player action.
    • Player goal will have to conquest and keep the longest as possible every maps. Player/AI can transfer units/resources from a map to another. Every maps are accessible at any time. Player then can go on each map to develop city, form army, or fight against enemy.
      See sample picture
    • To keep this map alive and give player more goal after the full conquest, it could have a have Rebels, incursion, population revolt system.
      • Incursions could come from unexplored regions forcing player to fight those AI if he wants to keep the attacked map.
      • Population/army revolt. The enemies could come from the inside too. For some reason, the player AI in some maps could set a revolt. Forcing player to fight the rebellion if he wants to keep those maps.
    • A world map creation tool : and then, player could set up the world map in adding new maps and joining those maps with path. It could give player the possibility to increase the number of place to play on it’s world map.
  • Planting tree: Give player the possibility to planting new trees.
  • Mines: mines in addition of rock and mineral blocks, set some area point on map where player and AI can drop a mine for rock or mineral to harvest. Mines will have much more resources.

Well, I think that all for now. It’s already not bad.

Edited by okegima

Hi developer, can we have additional option for the units to run rather than to walk? It looks weird for the units just always walk/march toward their enermy all the time. Maybe we can have the options such as single right click to command the units march/walk to the destination while double right click to command the units run to destination.

Have anyone of you played Battle Realms? It is quite fun to have this function, it makes the game looks more realistic during battle. In Battle Realms, all units cannot run continuously for long time, running units will drain their energy bars faster compare to walking units. In addition, units which have their energy bar almost depleted perform slightly inferior in battle compare to the same unit class.

What do you guys think? :acute:

Hi developer, can we have additional option for the units to run rather than to walk? It looks weird for the units just always walk/march toward their enermy all the time. Maybe we can have the options such as single right click to command the units march/walk to the destination while double right click to command the units run to destination.

is planned but for good reason nobody worked in this one.

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GameplayFeatureStatus

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

Units from all over the faction timeline. (Rome)

Roman research: Marian reforms (Replaces Princieps,Hastatus,Triarus with Legionary.)

Roman research: Mounted legionaries (Replaces equite with Mounted Legionary.)

Roman research: Legatus (Replace hero/champion with Legatus)

New Units

Officer: Gives [insert boost] to nearby troops. (Otherwise, a regular unit, possibly with superior armour or a different helm.)

Legionary: Significant armour upgrades,new textures,better attack,carries a javelin or two.

Mounted Legionary Just a legionary on a horse. (Slightly better attack)

Signifer: Gives [insert boost, Possibly morale?]

Legatus: A master fighter and tactician. [Very strong soldier, maybe unlock 1/2 new formations to nearby troops. i.e. Zama, shield wall. max=1

could maybe be the player's "Avatar"]

Scorpio: A fast shooting weapon used for defense and offense.

Onager: Very expensive, heavy damage vs buildings

Ballista: A big scorpio.

New features

Morale: Units who have high morale will have extra HP,and attack. Units who have low morale, will have normal/less HP and attack.

Block chance: The chance to block incoming projectiles.

Siege Weapons.

Miss chance

Ammunition count

Sorry for the long post! :sword_rune: :sword_rune: :sword_rune:

But these are features that would make the game SOAR in my opinion. No need to do them all, but something being taken into mind would be great! :D

Edited by TriplicariusDEN

Units from all over the faction timeline...

All Roman Imperial faction is planned for second part.( 100 BC - 476 AD)

-Other like ammo count is not creating a RTS too much realistic. We try to give a classic RTS with a lot new features, but not creating a total war style with 0. AD

- block projectile I believe is not possible by our engine.

All Roman Imperial faction is planned for second part.( 100 BC - 476 AD)

-Other like ammo count is not creating a RTS too much realistic. We try to give a classic RTS with a lot new features, but not creating a total war style with 0. AD

- block projectile I believe is not possible by our engine.

Oh. So I guess the legionary,legatus etc. Will be added? Thats awesome! >:D

Greeting, after several day playing, here my suggestions list to improve the game.

• Patrol option: give a tool allowing player and AI to set patrol point and lets units to patrols those points. See sample picture.
  • Rotating position: give a directional unit position. Something similar as Hearth Empire where stand unit could rotate to the requested direction with out to move. See sample picture.
  • Attack zone: allow player to select a zone to attack instead a special unit. Then, in this zone, units will seek and destroy every units. Player lets AI to choose the AI to attack. We can see this in Supreme Commander 2. See sample picture.
  • Back in position: I noticed that in keep position the units back in position. But, it will be nice to extend this ability to all type of attacks.
  • Road and bridges: well, a little cosmetic content, but, allow player to create road and bridge directly in game.
  • Domination campaign: it will be nice to have a kind of world map, a bit as we can see in the Total Wars, but in real time, with a real time economy, and a real AI/player action.
    • Player goal will have to conquest and keep the longest as possible every maps. Player/AI can transfer units/resources from a map to another. Every maps are accessible at any time. Player then can go on each map to develop city, form army, or fight against enemy.

See sample picture

• To keep this map alive and give player more goal after the full conquest, it could have a have Rebels, incursion, population revolt system.
      • Incursions could come from unexplored regions forcing player to fight those AI if he wants to keep the attacked map.
      • Population/army revolt. The enemies could come from the inside too. For some reason, the player AI in some maps could set a revolt. Forcing player to fight the rebellion if he wants to keep those maps.
    • A world map creation tool : and then, player could set up the world map in adding new maps and joining those maps with path. It could give player the possibility to increase the number of place to play on it’s world map.
  • Planting tree: Give player the possibility to planting new trees.
  • Mines: mines in addition of rock and mineral blocks, set some area point on map where player and AI can drop a mine for rock or mineral to harvest. Mines will have much more resources.

We settled that growing trees would do no harm to performance as it's just an animation.

Though the growth should be very slow as 0AD spans city phases, thus you could probably only regrow 3 to 5 generations of trees.

A domination world map is one of our goals. We could create a generic multi-map loading screen, using a list of maps and saving each map when leaving, thus that nothing is lost. It may be necessary to transfer some information or read the saved games xml to display some state information in the world or multi-map view (think of red for endangered situation and such).

Having map triggers being scheduled to be triggered by a domination AI would be awesome. If a certain time interval passes you could have lost foot on a map/part of the world because you didnt react in time and switched to that map.

Though perhaps it might be even more attractive to create a huge - really huge! - wolrd map and declare parts of it as frozen. That way the map could still be playable as only the non-frozen entities have to be loaded, while the actors might be shown - or covered in fog of war, perhaps continuing to run the simulation without GUI in a background process.

We could extend the first mentioned multiple-map view to be showable from any map, that has been defined in the multi-map.xml or .json to fluently allow to switch between individual maps (using save current + load next or selected or closest to current camera position map) directly from within one map.

can we have additional option for the units to run rather than to walk? It looks weird for the units just always walk/march toward their enermy all the time. Maybe we can have the options such as single right click to command the units march/walk to the destination while double right click to command the units run to destination.

Have anyone of you played Battle Realms? It is quite fun to have this function, it makes the game looks more realistic during battle. In Battle Realms, all units cannot run continuously for long time, running units will drain their energy bars faster compare to walking units. In addition, units which have their energy bar almost depleted perform slightly inferior in battle compare to the same unit class.

Stamina will come in with proper Conversion of enemies and the Besieging of structures (both using the same principle as discussed on IRC with Mythos and wraitii).

Once the Stamina bar is in, we can tackle the run/charge mode. We thought of an acceleration and decceleration and to derive the damage/attack bonus from the current speeed on impact.

charging attack bonus = speed_on_impact / max_run_speed * templates.max_charging_bonus

Units from all over the faction timeline. (Rome)

Roman research: Marian reforms (Replaces Princieps,Hastatus,Triarus with Legionary.)

Roman research: Mounted legionaries (Replaces equite with Mounted Legionary.)

Roman research: Legatus (Replace hero/champion with Legatus)

New Units

Officer: Gives [insert boost] to nearby troops. (Otherwise, a regular unit, possibly with superior armour or a different helm.)

Legionary: Significant armour upgrades,new textures,better attack,carries a javelin or two.

Mounted Legionary Just a legionary on a horse. (Slightly better attack)

Signifer: Gives [insert boost, Possibly morale?]

Legatus: A master fighter and tactician. [Very strong soldier, maybe unlock 1/2 new formations to nearby troops. i.e. Zama, shield wall. max=1

could maybe be the player's "Avatar"]

Scorpio: A fast shooting weapon used for defense and offense.

Onager: Very expensive, heavy damage vs buildings

Ballista: A big scorpio.

New features

Morale: Units who have high morale will have extra HP,and attack. Units who have low morale, will have normal/less HP and attack.

Block chance: The chance to block incoming projectiles.

Siege Weapons.

Miss chance

Ammunition count

Sorry for the long post! :sword_rune: :sword_rune: :sword_rune:

But these are features that would make the game SOAR in my opinion. No need to do them all, but something being taken into mind would be great! :D

The techs are easy but to be honest I think this per unit approach we are currently using is going to become untamable if we continue like that. There

are several patches or tickets on trac that would ease our lives. e.g. #2620.

I'm still convinced having a tempalte for each weapon and then assigning weapons or clothes to a unit would be more approriate and easier to maintain. (currently each unit redefines heaps of stats and for each weapon type we need a full new unit type, which is somewhat hard-coded if we consider that in the dynamic solution, units could change weapons, which might be an epic addition.)

Officer, Signifer (morale boost units in general) & Co are all planned but even all our developer power together is extremely low in numbers compared to even mere modder communities of commercial games.

Aren't Ballista and Scorpio already in?

Blocking projectiles is well possible, it's just adding blocking chance in the simulation templates of units and then using that chance in the calculation when it is decided if a ranged attack reaches its target or not.

Siege weapons is already in.

Miss Chance is already in, it's called "spread".

There is even a range bonus if ranged units are on higher terrain.

A proper visual ammunition and visual resource system can only be added after creating templates for props and having the assigned in a unit's inventory.

Else it will just be a number. But it also will be problematic without a secondary weapon system, i.e. that inventory and weapon system I mentioned beforehand.

• Stan` featured this topic