Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

I love the new formations in Alpha 16 but i think formations like falanx or testudo need to walk slower when they are set in formation.

Ohw and please make it that people need to make a acount before placing tickets so you can ban those spammers with no life.

Edited by RoekeloosNL

Ohw and please make it that people need to make a acount before placing tickets so you can ban those spammers with no life.

They already have to register an account before placing tickets, but we'd have to make it harder to register to avoid bots from being able to register. The downside to that is that it would make it harder for real people/non-spammers as well, which is why we've been reluctant to do it.

Hey guys

I'm new to this forum as you can tell (only 3 posts), but would like to say i've played a little bit of 0ad here and there. I'm a competitive age of mythology player and host tournaments for the competitive community there, so I feel I have a decent RTS background.

I must say I am thoroughly impressed with this game and love what has been done so far!

Few things I would like to mention or see

-Hotkeys, I already use control groups but functions such as assigning hotkeys for building placement. For example when a villager is selected hitting 'e' and it si the hotkey for a house foundation.

-Houses, I notice they only supply 5 pop? I find this really takes away from the gameplay as I feel house production is quite intensive and is constantly being done.

-Food sources, now I haven't played enough off this game but I've found hunting to be almost pointless because of the high HP and how fast it runs away, compared to the age series it's been incredibly frustrating. Is hunting much faster than berries/farming? If you can tell me how to hunt efficiently that would be great too as I'm probably doing it wrong!

-Could someone explain the decision for researching an upgrade which also then disables the option too another. I see this for some economy upgrades, and for military upgrades like train 10% faster but -10% HP. I dislike this function when thinking about it because it sets your decision ins tone. it doesn't allow for small changes on the feel of the game. It makes the game a little rock paper scissors. I would prefer having all upgrades available and a split option for the military like faster training time and an upgrade to make units stronger. I feel it rewards the person who is playing better, he/she may have better micro and pressure on the opponents economy and I dislike the idea that because his units are now 10% weaker he/she will lose even though he outplayed the opponent. I also dislike it from he economy perspective also, because it hinders one side of your eco, where as I prefer if you've had better eco management your one decision to up stone over gold shouldn't put you at a massive disadvantage. I could also see this being a problem when Civilisation X is naturally dictating the game (because of god make up) and civ Y has to counter and make units that cost certain resources. The problem here is Civ X can then switch to force civ Y to make units that cost a different resource which wont be the resource that wasn't upgraded, hence putting Civ X at a large advantage.

-Building time I feel is massively slower comparative to other games. I feel like there is an imbalnce between gather rates and build time.

As for graphics wise I have very little complaints and due to my competitive side I do look more into gameplay than others will at graphics, animations and historical accuracy. However I do love the game for those latter points.

These are the only things that come to mind while writing this post. I may well be wrong about all of these points as I haven't played a great deal of this game so please feel free to expand my knowledge here!

-Houses, I notice they only supply 5 pop? I find this really takes away from the gameplay as I feel house production is quite intensive and is constantly being done

are two technologies adds 1 to pop capacity for each of them researched.

-Food sources, now I haven't played enough off this game but I've found hunting to be almost pointless because of the high HP and how fast it runs away, compared to the age series it's been incredibly frustrating. Is hunting much faster than berries/farming? If you can tell me how to hunt efficiently that would be great too as I'm probably doing it wrong!

you can train sheeps is very faster, or fishing(some maps)

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

[...]

[...]

Hunting is right now roughly 4 times faster than gathering (when done with your scout cavalry). An efficient way to hunt is to train sheeps at your corral and then hunt these with a couple of scout cavalry.

Hey guys

I'm new to this forum as you can tell (only 3 posts), but would like to say i've played a little bit of 0ad here and there. I'm a competitive age of mythology player and host tournaments for the competitive community there, so I feel I have a decent RTS background.

I must say I am thoroughly impressed with this game and love what has been done so far!

Few things I would like to mention or see

-Hotkeys, I already use control groups but functions such as assigning hotkeys for building placement. For example when a villager is selected hitting 'e' and it si the hotkey for a house foundation.

Hotkeys aren't that hard to add (code-wise), but we need a good schema to add them. If you can come up with a clear schema, that'd be great. Also, hotkeys can only be edited in the config file so far: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Manual_Settings We hope to add some GUI for setting the hotkeys sometime.

-Houses, I notice they only supply 5 pop? I find this really takes away from the gameplay as I feel house production is quite intensive and is constantly being done.

Depends on the civilisation. More cultural civs have bigger houses.

What version are you using? In A16, hunting has become a lot easier. Before that, you could only hunt domestic animals (chicken, sheep, goats ...) effectively. Now you can also hunt skittish animals to gather food (with your cavalry).

-Could someone explain the decision for researching an upgrade which also then disables the option too another. I see this for some economy upgrades, and for military upgrades like train 10% faster but -10% HP. I dislike this function when thinking about it because it sets your decision ins tone. it doesn't allow for small changes on the feel of the game. It makes the game a little rock paper scissors. I would prefer having all upgrades available and a split option for the military like faster training time and an upgrade to make units stronger. I feel it rewards the person who is playing better, he/she may have better micro and pressure on the opponents economy and I dislike the idea that because his units are now 10% weaker he/she will lose even though he outplayed the opponent. I also dislike it from he economy perspective also, because it hinders one side of your eco, where as I prefer if you've had better eco management your one decision to up stone over gold shouldn't put you at a massive disadvantage. I could also see this being a problem when Civilisation X is naturally dictating the game (because of god make up) and civ Y has to counter and make units that cost certain resources. The problem here is Civ X can then switch to force civ Y to make units that cost a different resource which wont be the resource that wasn't upgraded, hence putting Civ X at a large advantage.

It's all about decisions ;)

Thanks for the replies guys!

As for Hotkeys, a grid setup is a nice way to start. http://i.imgur.com/ZoiCitc.jpg This would be one way to do it on Age of Mythology.

Thanks for the hunt advice will use!

As for the decision sections I still feel it takes away options which I feel is detrimental. The -10% train time tech I believe is kind of pointless and I will never research it myself for these reasons.

You cannot forward build on the enemy earlier enough to make use of the faster train time, by the time you're close enough to your enemy you can just have more buildings to be able to make more stronger units. If you're using it for rushing of some sort your units still have to walk across the whole map to the enemy. The player fighting at his production always has the advantage because his units replace first.

YO JOLLYMAN; I recognize you from RTSS. :P

I quite agree with Jollyman about the pairing of techs, I find it doesn't add anything to the game. Actually, no. I find that the -10% training time/ -10 health is an interesting upgrade to pair between Cav and infantry. "oh I feel like making lots of cav during the game" etc. However in terms of economic upgrades I don't think this is a good idea. For example, there's almost no reason to get the wood chopping upgrade over the wheelbarrow.

I really like the pairs. It allows you to different your playing style from others. You're forced to make choices on what you personally think is more important.

Maybe some pairs are not equally matched, but in general the concept is good.

Edited by niektb
  • Like 1

I really like the pairs. It allows you to different your playing style from others. You're forced to make choices on what you personally think is more important.

Maybe some pairs are not equally matched, but in general the concept is good.

What kind of choices? Can you give more precise examples or something because I just can't see what it adds to the game.

YO JOLLYMAN; I recognize you from RTSS. :P

I quite agree with Jollyman about the pairing of techs, I find it doesn't add anything to the game. Actually, no. I find that the -10% training time/ -10 health is an interesting upgrade to pair between Cav and infantry. "oh I feel like making lots of cav during the game" etc. However in terms of economic upgrades I don't think this is a good idea. For example, there's almost no reason to get the wood chopping upgrade over the wheelbarrow.

Hey Incog!

Cool to see you here!

Yea, did you read I r Noobs post on RTS-S, he raised a good point about the defender having a massive advantage because army can gather resources it's better to defend because your gathers can just fight when attacked and as you've been gathering for longer you should be ahead. Maybe I'm looking at this wrong?

Hey Incog!

Cool to see you here!

Yea, did you read I r Noobs post on RTS-S, he raised a good point about the defender having a massive advantage because army can gather resources it's better to defend because your gathers can just fight when attacked and as you've been gathering for longer you should be ahead. Maybe I'm looking at this wrong?

I also read the post and then replied with my own thoughts. He raises some fair points, but as I said in that thread, women are twice as cheap to produce as men and cost only food, which is the resource women are good at getting at. On top of that, even if you try to boom with your infantry, you won't be able to gather with them during a sustained attack. There's also the fact that map control is big in this game.

So at this point it's all theory-crafting and you have to wait for actual competitive play to happen before making calls, at least in my opinion.

Hey Incog!

Cool to see you here!

We've got quite some complaints from good players about A16. They say the only viable tactic is a cavalry rush. So I wonder how this matches with your view.

• Like 1

We've got quite some complaints from good players about A16. They say the only viable tactic is a cavalry rush. So I wonder how this matches with your view.

I'm a firm believer that the game has yet to be figured out. Cav rush, infantry boom.... I say it's all viable right now, except perhaps elephant rushing.

Cav used to be pretty bad in older releases. But we worked on the chasing bug (in older versions, moving units could never be attacked, no matter how slow they were). So in A16, the movement speed has become quite important. While cav still has their good other stats that were given in other versions to make them worth something.

We were still discussing suggestions for this game along with the excitement for fellow RTS-S Bretheren. I don't see what the problem is?

It seemed to me as if you were discussing a random topic elsewhere (at RTS-S) along with the on-topic discussion.

I'm not talking about the fact that you recognize each other from elsewhere and say hi to the other.

But if I completely misunderstood your discussion then forgive me my words.

Edited by niektb
  • Like 1

• Stan` featured this topic