Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

I see no shields at the side and rear. (Which certainly happened with roman testudos)

But of course, it is way better than it was before.

There are references for both. But there has been some difficulty replicating placing shields on the sides of the formation. The math doesn't check out (some dudes would need to be carrying 2 shields, for example).

Haha, the testudo looks a bit silly with the extraordinarius. :rofl:

Footage with silly animation and testudo fight (behavior is set at standground). The testudo gets beaten by a massive army of skirmishers. I think you should disable the victory animation while in testudo. And discovered a massive amount of bugs on the fly.

(uploading right now)

Edit: movie attached!

Edited by niektb
  • Like 1

:eek:

Thank you michael for this insight. I was wondering about testudo. Now I get it. It's brilliant. Thanks Enrique and all involved.

I's getting better and better ... we're on our way. :jester:

Edit:

One thing that could be done is to make the blacksmith a feasible drop off site for metal ores.

I would prefer having free choice where to drop it. Once our resource get a triangle or pyramid or rectangle mesh. Not sure which will turn out best in terms of both performance and visual effect. Edited by Hephaestion

I would prefer having free choice where to drop it. Once our resource get a triangle or pyramid or rectangle mesh. Not sure which will turn out best in terms of both performance and visual effect.

Being able to create drop sites would be nice but I'm not sure it would have a game play influence. Maybe for mini factions.

• Like 1

It would as the pathfinder already walk around all entities. So if you drop entities anywhere this might well stop the enemy storming your last hope in the valley inbetween mountains. Depending on weight, many units would be required to pull the obstacles away. Time won to reorganise yourself.

Shall we call this gameplay influence? ;)

Please forgive my english.

Hi,

Probably the new change announced will bring new players and collaborators to 0 A.D. but unfortunately I will not follow you anymore because my preference is exactly to the historical side and realism of the game.

Then I suggest you to offer the new option described in the change, but maintaining the current base for players like me, who play the 0 A.D. exactly for the qualities it has now..

If I liked games involving imaginary characters, without commitment to realism, I'd be playing the games of this type and not seek to another, which is still in the preparatory stage.

I will continue with the old version.

Thanks

Emerson Camargo

Brazil, 04/06/2014

Please forgive my english.

Hi,

Probably the new change announced will bring new players and collaborators to 0 A.D. but unfortunately I will not follow you anymore because my preference is exactly to the historical side and realism of the game.

Then I suggest you to offer the new option described in the change, but maintaining the current base for players like me, who play the 0 A.D. exactly for the qualities it has now..

If I liked games involving imaginary characters, without commitment to realism, I'd be playing the games of this type and not seek to another, which is still in the preparatory stage.

I will continue with the old version.

Thanks

Emerson Camargo

Brazil, 04/06/2014

Don't worry, Emerson, that change was announced on fool's day. :D It was just a joke. (Me wouldn't like the change too if it was for real) Edited by niektb

@Emerson, hopefully others are not shocked too. For me it was shocking first too. Now that we praised that realism so much.

Then I thought, well a magic mod would be interesting, e.g. bringing The Lord of The Rings to life. But then I realised it was not serious.

Oh by drop sites you mean barricades. Then yes.

Not that pinned down. Simply allowing units to change the position of all objects. That's all. Of course the obstructions have to be moved too. That might be manageable.

Will allow laying down weapons and moving them around too. Or pull that stone away from the cave's entry. Or pull that ship on land.

There are references for both. But there has been some difficulty replicating placing shields on the sides of the formation. The math doesn't check out (some dudes would need to be carrying 2 shields, for example).

in other words, an acceptable break from reality ;)

Hey Wildfire,

First thing right off the bat, I loved soooo much about the game, the strategy , units, art, everything! There is also the civs, which I can't wait to see all of. In order to help with what I think could dethrone Age of Empires, I want to list some ideas.

1: Eastern Asian CIvs- maybe as an expansion, but I could think of tons of unique attributes about Chines, Monguls, Tibetans, etc, from their different fighting styles and tactics to their economy base, and to help validate why these might be in the game historically, Rome and China have clashed, besides also having the silk road. I could be a few years ahead of 1 ad though. I don't need to explain what to put in for these guys, you people seem to do your homework. Just wanted to help bring it to attention

2: Artifacts- Could you add in items of power, for example in AoE 2, an artifact when brought to a temple made gold. Instead, why not add artifacts the are hidden, but require a leveled up priest or campion could "Divine" it by offering maybe resources, fauna, units, whatever will balance, and each with a specific "Divination translation". Once you find the item, you will have to secure it in maybe an alter or a wonder permantly, while changing the name to for example Joseph's Store house. Afterwards, instead of a trickle of gold, it could cast an aura, along with other buffs or debuff, like lets say for example, I find " The Spear of Suma-abum", which increases the strength and speed of nearby warriors and citizen-warriors. For an added affect you could garrison up to 5 units at a time, which if left to worship the artifact long enough, then they will slowly gain the artifacts buffs permanently, but at the cost of temporarily shutting down the aura. There could also be agricultural artifacts that increase the amount of food yield or multiplies the gathered food. To copy my first name, If I found Joseph's Sickle, and put it in a wonder or alter, it would change to be name specific, like Joseph's Storehouse. There could also be a multiplier for aura/worship depending if the artifact is stored in a wonder or a lesser building, like an alter. I think this would be a great concept for the game, but I do realize that you guys at wildfire are usually going for historic accuracy, so I would understand why this couldn't be implemented, but maybe if you guy were to create an option for "Magic"? I could also see some spin-off story lines for future campaigns or scenarios.

3: Castle/wall connections- Would it be a good idea to make it so forts could directly connect to walls, or maybe build over a wall and add to it? Just want to get cogs going.

4:Intractable land- what I mean by this is the ability to build for instance temporary ports, docks, jetties, and booms for larger sea maps. There would have to be a set distance for how far from shore along with making theses "sea walls" very expensive for balancing issues. The ability to create a small but fortified pier would be amazing, with even stone-augmented docks, like the romans, and having a hull-shredding boom like a gate that can be upgraded for more damage or durability. I would like to ask and see if this would be possible to fit in with your plans for epic sea battles. This leads to my next topic.

5: More Ships- If in a game you seriously pour some resources into costly research, you build new ships from either a new or upgraded dock. This would be great by huge ship battles. I have a few ideas to throw your guys way with a bit of persuasion.

<<<oops.. I accidentally submitted. Ha, what a noob.>>>>>>>>>>

Edited by Shardas45

Hey Wildfire,

First thing right off the bat, I loved soooo much about the game, the strategy , units, art, everything! There is also the civs, which I can't wait to see all of. In order to help with what I think could dethrone Age of Empires, I want to list some ideas.

1: Eastern Asian CIvs- maybe as an expansion, but I could think of tons of unique attributes about Chines, Monguls, Tibetans, etc, from their different fighting styles and tactics to their economy base, and to help validate why these might be in the game historically, Rome and China have clashed, besides also having the silk road. I could be a few years ahead of 1 ad though. I don't need to explain what to put in for these guys, you people seem to do your homework. Just wanted to help bring it to attention

2: Artifacts- Could you add in items of power, for example in AoE 2, an artifact when brought to a temple made gold. Instead, why not add artifacts the are hidden, but require a leveled up priest or campion could "Divine" it by offering maybe resources, fauna, units, whatever will balance, and each with a specific "Divination translation". Once you find the item, you will have to secure it in maybe an alter or a wonder permantly, while changing the name to for example Joseph's Store house. Afterwards, instead of a trickle of gold, it could cast an aura, along with other buffs or debuff, like lets say for example, I find " The Spear of Suma-abum", which increases the strength and speed of nearby warriors and citizen-warriors. For an added affect you could garrison up to 5 units at a time, which if left to worship the artifact long enough, then they will slowly gain the artifacts buffs permanently, but at the cost of temporarily shutting down the aura. There could also be agricultural artifacts that increase the amount of food yield or multiplies the gathered food. To copy my first name, If I found Joseph's Sickle, and put it in a wonder or alter, it would change to be name specific, like Joseph's Storehouse. There could also be a multiplier for aura/worship depending if the artifact is stored in a wonder or a lesser building, like an alter. I think this would be a great concept for the game, but I do realize that you guys at wildfire are usually going for historic accuracy, so I would understand why this couldn't be implemented, but maybe if you guy were to create an option for "Magic"? I could also see some spin-off story lines for future campaigns or scenarios.

3: Castle/wall connections- Would it be a good idea to make it so forts could directly connect to walls, or maybe build over a wall and add to it? Just want to get cogs going.

4:Intractable land- what I mean by this is the ability to build for instance temporary ports, docks, jetties, and booms for larger sea maps. There would have to be a set distance for how far from shore along with making theses "sea walls" very expensive for balancing issues. The ability to create a small but fortified pier would be amazing, with even stone-augmented docks, like the romans, and having a hull-shredding boom like a gate that can be upgraded for more damage or durability. I would like to ask and see if this would be possible to fit in with your plans for epic sea battles. This leads to my next topic.

5: More Ships- If in a game you seriously pour some resources into costly research, you build new ships from either a new or upgraded dock. This would be great by huge ship battles. I have a few ideas to throw your guys way with a bit of persuasion.

<<<oops.. I accidentally submitted. Ha, what a noob.>>>>>>>>>>

1Check Rise of east Mod for asían civ. And the time créame is important for us.

2, 3,4, are planned and are good but aren't enoght supported ideas.

The 5 you need explain little more, you play with Romans , Carthaginians or other naval power?

Upgrades to buildings aren't possibly right now as art looking. But indeed in proprieties.

At last we are contributors and not very large team so many things happens in. Several alphas. I invite you consult/look around in our wiki page where you can see planned features, modding, concepts, actual SVN progress etc.

http://trac.wildfiregames.com

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Eastern Asian CIvs- maybe as an expansion, but I could think of tons of unique attributes about Chines, Monguls, Tibetans, etc, from their different fighting styles and tactics to their economy base, and to help validate why these might be in the game historically, Rome and China have clashed, besides also having the silk road. I could be a few years ahead of 1 ad though.

I think 0A.D. stands for 500B.C. until 500A.D.

Did you mean Roman Prisoner Of War soldiers defending the nomadic Xiongu chief's palisade tent against Han forces? with Roman-Chinese clashes?

Artifacts- Could you add items of power, for example [like] in AoE 2, an artifact when brought to a temple made [into] gold.

Object conversion should indeed be doable.

Instead, why not add artifacts the are hidden, but require a leveled up priest or campion could "Divine" it by offering maybe resources, fauna, units, whatever will balance, and each with a specific "Divination translation".

This patch is related: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/2243

and could be adapted to create a new unit on tech research instead of altering stats.

There could also be agricultural artifacts that increase the amount of food yield or multiplies the gathered food

Sounds like technologies, though it should be a technology that is active while a certain object is in the inventory

• of a unit to make the tech target the unit, so only one gatherer has increased gather rate.
  • of any building (just like current gathering but with objects). Here the tech would be active globally - until the building is conquered (including all its inventory).
Intractable land- what I mean by this is the ability to build for instance temporary ports, docks, jetties, and booms for larger sea maps. There would have to be a set distance for how far from shore along with making theses "sea walls" very expensive for balancing issues. The ability to create a small but fortified pier would be amazing, with even stone-augmented docks, like the romans, and having a hull-shredding boom like a gate that can be upgraded for more damage or durability. I would like to ask and see if this would be possible to fit in with your plans for epic sea battles.

To build walls into water? Could be possible I guess. Placing/Building eye-candy objects is not yet possible.

5: More Ships- If in a game you seriously pour some resources into costly research, you build new ships from either a new or upgraded dock. This would be great by huge ship battles.

More ships have already been created, e.g. here by Stan and Enrique: Ptolemies.

Or more ships ingame? The naval battles are not so advanced currently. There is discussion about a new Damage indication system here and there in the trac.

Warfare with cannons and storming ships is planned too.

Building might be walkable soon - for the ground floor at least. All depends on our planet's open source community's efforts. We will not get this as a birthday present I guess.

To

Yes I was thinking of that moment in time. Thanks Hephaestion, and sorry of lack of over all idea completeness, and thanks for bothering to reply :notworthy:

Just for a quick touch-up, do you mean (Lion.Kanzen) that the idea that I gave for 2,3,4, doesn't have enough info to get a clear picture, or if you guys are lacking enough ideas to be worth implementing into the game right now.

To complete#5, I meant that almost every civ that at least had made headway into sailing, should have mid and late-game "expensive" (my term) ships. I have thought out the idea a bit more. Almost all civs have access to at least the light or medium frigates, and to counter-MORE FRIGATES! ( in my experience). Im thinking of adding in a either a building upgrade, or even another building that has to be unlocked by researched tech, and from there you have a few more "expensive" Ships. At first they are just a bit (or way more) expensive to create, and just offer up maybe a slightly stronger attack strength, or extra speed. In order to make these ships better, you will have to purchase upgrades, like for example, a heavy frigate-like ship. There will be offensive, defensive, and passive upgrades. For offensive, you could do things such as adding turret emplacements to install ( yes install, not just be a passenger) siege weapons like Scorpios or Balistas. It will also be very nation specific, like for the Ibearians, the ability to have a slightly slower balista at the helm that will fire flaming bolts that can slightly cripple and start setting ships aflame. For defensive, there could be maybe a steel lined hull, increases damage resistance by 20 or whatever you see fit, but will expediently raise steel cost, along with making the ships capabilities for speed less so. And for passive, there would be items like "Improved Triangle Mast Riggings" for increases speed, like for raiding ships. There also could be other things like"On-Duty Water Line Brigade" which prevents fires from doing more than 40 damage before going out. The amount of how much upgrades a ship could have will differ from ship to ship, so If there was a Light, Med, Heavy, and an exploration/slope ships, lets say the the heavy only gets 2 damage upgrades, 2 defensive, and one passive, but the light ship can get three attack OR passive skills, which could range to having extra arrows/cannons ( saw your comment Lion EXCITED) or maybe containing a tactical riggings for improved ship boarding, or lasso bolts, to temporarily "break" the mast and decrease speed. The amount of upgrades each ship can have will differ ship to ship in each civ, along with having unique upgrades for different civs. And scince these could get over powered in some games, hosts should be able to specify "expensive" ships or none. This next point I have is still indev, (for me), there could be work docks where you not just maybe specialize ships even more, but modify it to be the perfect boarding ship, but is still unique. In order to speed up time for the specialization upgrades and produce a more "potent" upgrade, you will need citizens working the docks. The time for refit should also be very long.

I will have to get back to you guys on my ideas, but here is my ten cents for the day. Thanks for the awesome responses! If you want me to go into more detail on things, just ask. I still have more.

Ibearians

Edited by Shardas45

along with having unique upgrades for different civs

I like your naval ideas. Yet here I have to raise the concern that this should not end in high artist work. Rather for each ship the same props should be used as far as possible. Which are available or not could be set in the civ's configuration files.

Also the props should have a time tag .. so that technologies will evolve over time (a little bit different for each civilisation, depending on tech researchs, overall state of the faction, ... military success and reforms and investment into research (so with the current technologies I would like to steer the direction, e.g. research this to increase more research efforts, or that to increase military strength or similar.).

speed up time for the specialization upgrades and produce a more "potent" upgrade, you will need citizens working the docks.

For what I have in mind, the quality of the result and the build-time required will be determined by the decision tree/experience of the unit (which I'm working on). This implies that you have a problem if you lose your older and experienced skilled units in war.

The having units really construct ships in a dock is a good idea. The art deparment might one time think about it.

Ideas are always welcome. Naval battles are still a bit underdeveloped. We need to think of all odds and ends.

Sorry if the below suggestions have already been suggested before. I hope you'll permit me to raise them. I have played Alpha 15 and I have gathered the following observations/ suggestions:

1. If the player double clicks the hammer for the idle citizens, ALL idle citizens will be selected (not only 1).

2. Each unit should have an "explore" button, that, when pressed, would make that unit go to random locations, revealing the fog of war.

3. Ability to select military units only (the rectangle selection, if there are villagers, would not select those villagers).

4. Ability to select ALL citizen soldiers (very useful in having them stop their resource gathering).

5. Ability for recently created units to join a Group formation. For example, if I create 5 hoplites and I place the barrack's rally point to my created Group 1, those 5 hoplites would join Group 1 automatically.

6. More attack modes targeting specific groups (like attacking buildings only, or citizens only).

I have also experienced quite huge lag in games having 4 AIs, but I read somewhere that for now, this can't be helped. Thanks for the time in reading.

• Like 3

Sorry if the below suggestions have already been suggested before. I hope you'll permit me to raise them. I have played Alpha 15 and I have gathered the following observations/ suggestions:

1. If the player double clicks the hammer for the idle citizens, ALL idle citizens will be selected (not only 1).

2. Each unit should have an "explore" button, that, when pressed, would make that unit go to random locations, revealing the fog of war.

3. Ability to select military units only (the rectangle selection, if there are villagers, would not select those villagers).

4. Ability to select ALL citizen soldiers (very useful in having them stop their resource gathering).

5. Ability for recently created units to join a Group formation. For example, if I create 5 hoplites and I place the barrack's rally point to my created Group 1, those 5 hoplites would join Group 1 automatically.

6. More attack modes targeting specific groups (like attacking buildings only, or citizens only).

I have also experienced quite huge lag in games having 4 AIs, but I read somewhere that for now, this can't be helped. Thanks for the time in reading.

I agree even I open a command list of buttons and basic command that should be in the game.

Give time to found it.

1are a command similar pressed shift and idle shortcut "," "." You can select idle units one by one

The 3 you use alt to avoid the selection box add females or civilians.

4 That all named as call to the arms command, don't exist yet.

5 is very nice suggestion. We don't have one similar.

6 that is from EE2? I love that. We don't have.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

• Stan` featured this topic