Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

The problem with upgradeable connectors is that the connector would have to be base of the current design, instead of additive as in normal development. Some of the firing towers are very short and poses this kind of problem. It wouldn't make much sense if the footprint was any smaller either. It could strangle otherwise passable wall structures after an upgrade.

The Hud seems a little small cosidering that i have wide parts on the left and right of the screen which is wasted space.

I have a small screen and am glad for any bit of map I can see. Maybe we could have 2 designs in the end, one for big screens that will be wider and one for small screens that will be pretty much as it is right now?

Not sure what you're saying here. Of course the quicksave doesn't create a normal save file, if that's what you want you should save normally ;)

yeah but may be a autosaving or Quickly save becuse when play I never do a pause.

My other request is more easy, save match preferences like, map, civ, pop max capacity. All these settings. You know in Age of Kings you can access to last match settings.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Adding under-arm animations seems unnecessary. Ancient Greek pottery represents hoplites with their weapons in a raised position while in formation, the ideal position they would be in. I do agree that there should be variations, there should be little reason to have hoplites wielding their spears in any unorthodox manner.

Hoplite_fight_from_Athens_Museum.jpg

Hoplites look really weird out of formation, which is most of the time. Given the dynamism of the other units, particularly the swordsmen, their attacks seem much too stiff to be practical.

This guy makes some good points on the matter too, how the truth of the scenes on pottery were exaggerated for a balance of composition

This guy's videos are interesting in the sense that he questions established ideas. But he answers to himself in the second video: spears overarm are more practical in mêlée, when the shields come in contact, because the reach is shorter. In both videos he never tells about hoplitic formation. He only says that heroes on pottery are more than often depicted with spears overarm.

So, either you dismiss the commune idea about hoplitic formation (and the famous shield bashing breaking bones, etc., as he does in another video), and you figure duel fights as if heroes (a bit like in some modern movies). Or, you consider a spear overarm, at least at the moment of the first contact between formations, when the vulnerable spots are the head, the neck, and the guy behind through the non overlapping superior spot (the inferior spot was often hidden with cloth), a fighting posture which could change for a underarm one when the push is over and the slaughter (and fleeing) begins and the fighters are in a less crowded situation.

To conclude, we could keep the overarm technique when under formation, and show more variation when outside a formation. After all, with the sword too there are several duel starting position ("En garde!").

I would like to suggest some kind of ages that the world can go through. Obviously this will take a lot of trial and error but I would like it to be like the ages in Civilization V. After a while I find the game getting boring since the technology never advances really far. I understand if this is not your intention of the game but it's just an idea.

I would like to suggest some kind of ages that the world can go through. Obviously this will take a lot of trial and error but I would like it to be like the ages in Civilization V. After a while I find the game getting boring since the technology never advances really far. I understand if this is not your intention of the game but it's just an idea.

is design desition. Because, the game not represent ages or build empire in each match, you found colonies, and provinces and each Provinces have a progress. What mean technology advances far? You want more?

is design desition. Because, the game not represent ages or build empire in each match, you found colonies, and provinces and each Provinces have a progress. What mean technology advances far? You want more?

I think that each colony should progress through all of it's history and eventually evolve into a civilization that lives there today so that history throught the ages will be shown, rather than just a few thousand years.

Hey, you guys kept on talking about how tight the community and making friends etc... i totally feel that as i play very often 0ad online, and a few of us thought a great idea (hopefully simple) is to have the possible to add other players onto a friend list? that way when online you can see straight away which of your new friends is online, rather than scrolling up or down the list of online players..

Also, as you expected, more people are playing this game...great! but the trolling and online bullying has followed through, and whilst im an avid gamer i expected this, but its seriously unpleasant...perhaps alongside a friend list..make an option where you can block certain people? i took a lot of abuse from two people during the match i hosted, and whilst i ignored it, myself and others found it really unpleasant...

on the other hand, congrats on a fantastic game! i have advertised this to the society of gaming at my university :)

Hey, you guys kept on talking about how tight the community and making friends etc... i totally feel that as i play very often 0ad online, and a few of us thought a great idea (hopefully simple) is to have the possible to add other players onto a friend list? that way when online you can see straight away which of your new friends is online, rather than scrolling up or down the list of online players..

Very interesting, can you elaborate a bit more on how you see it? How to add a friend, remove a friend, use it in general ...

Also, as you expected, more people are playing this game...great! but the trolling and online bullying has followed through, and whilst im an avid gamer i expected this, but its seriously unpleasant...perhaps alongside a friend list..make an option where you can block certain people? i took a lot of abuse from two people during the match i hosted, and whilst i ignored it, myself and others found it really unpleasant...

Yes, we're a bit short on moderators for the lobby. I'm a moderator, and often online in the lobby, but mostly inactive, so I only see the problems too late. Maybe you can help us getting a list of potential moderators (people who don't spam, and are often online)?

ok, elaborate...lets see..... perhaps a right-click on the name in the list of online users, see two options: add as friend or block user.

then since the list is on the right hand side, perhaps the bottom half could well be the friends list, so practically split the box into 2, so upper box : users online, lower box : friends online :)

Look, im not online as much as id like, university is a priority haha but id love to be a moderator since i host a fair amount of games..just let me know what you have in mind...

was my idea clear btw? i hope it makes sense!

I am playing with an idea in my head about what if we increase the resources required to purchase technologies at an expensive price? For example:

In order to purchase the woodchopping technology, the player must have 1000 metal.

If the technologies are bumped up to an expensive price, players are limited to what they can purchase. If the players are limited to what they can purchase, gameplay becomes more diverse in play-style.

Of course players that harvest more resources have more freedom to purchase improved technology that would make the difference in this game.

My point is that I think technology is too easy to buy, and it is more of a "timing" thing rather than something a player has to understand how their gameplay will be greatly affected by the purchase of the technology. I mean "timing" as in the order of actions a player takes to get ahead in the race of building your city and army. Woodcutting is hardly thought about when purchased because every player is going to have either that tech or the wheelbarrow.

If technology is more expensive to purchase in the game, the more likely players will not have the same order of technology purchased making the game more interesting and diverse in playstyle.

Edited by Sighvatr
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

First of all, for praise: This is awesome! As a longtime player of Empire Earth (by the same folks as AoE), I found the gameplay and interface so intuitive you could have tricked me into thinking it was a beta version of EE. Plus the music is great and the graphics are impressive, and there are a few neat features that EE never had. I LOVE that you can make soldiers do work. That said, I have a couple suggestions based on what I like about EE.

1) Command groups. You select a bunch of units, assign them a designation with a number key, and when you press that key, all of those units are simultaneously selected.

2) Paused micromanagement. Some people might consider this cheating. Sue me. You pause the game, give orders, unpause it, and they are carried out.

3) I've read various things about an attack-move command, but I came to the tenuous conclusion that it wasn't implemented yet. If it has been, I do apologize.

4) This is a pretty bold suggestion, but I can dream: Use this engine and the experience from this game to make a stone-space age civilization/rts like Empire Earth! God I would love that. I would help, if, you know, I knew how to program beyond "hello world." I will be making a donation to the project when I get paid again though.

Keep up the epic work! Finding this game has made me very excited!

• Like 2

• Stan` featured this topic