Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

Maybe the only units that should contribute to the ranged attacks should be ranged units. In that way it would be unnecessary to depict Spartan hoplites firing bows on the ramparts.

I'll have you know that Greek hoplites did take up the bows when they defended cities. All armies become ranged when they "man the walls". Not just Greeks.

In my opinion.... Maybe to much animating for this, I certainly like and support the concept though.

Edited by Romulous
  • Like 1

You would some way to communicate to the player that ranged units are the only ones that add to the attack. Even though it makes sense when thought about, you still need some way of making it so clear that somebody playing for the first time can realise it easily.

Unless that can be done I'd be against having ranged as the ones to contribute to the attack.

First, I want to say that I love AoM and 0 A.D is amazing so far!

My questions : 1)Can you add more voices to the units? (Greeks, Egyptians, Barbarians specific to each general faction.)

2)Can you make a guide how to mod the music in the game? (and voices of the units?)

3)Can you add to the ptolemy faction an Egyptian chariot archers?

4)Can you make a friend list for MP lobby?

5)Can you add relics? (that gives bonuses)

Thanks! :bye: going back to play now

Edited by BloodSpiller

You can take a look at the wiki for modding: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki (there's a separate section "for modders"). Almost everything should be moddable, and once you found the base directory, it should be pritty logical that the sounds are in "audio" for example. And the definition of which sound is used by which unit is in "simulation/templates"

The lobby is in full development (like the rest of the game), such a friends list could be handy indeed, but there's a ton of other things we need to do too.

Relics aren't really planned. But there are other ways of getting bonuses (like creating certain heros, or building certain special buildings).

My questions : 1)Can you add more voices to the units? (Greeks, Egyptians, Barbarians specific to each general faction.)

2)Can you make a guide how to mod the music in the game? (and voices of the units?)

1) People are working on it I think.

3) Might be nice, but it seems that 0 A.D. limits the variety of units available for each faction. Its not like the Total War games where you attempt to include as much variety of units you can to each faction. Otherwise I don't know if we'll have chariots or not.

4) WIP

5) Been discussed a lot in the forums. Relics or certain objects like the golden fleece or the head of Medusa would grant certain bonuses or be a victory condition. 0 A.D. just needs somebody to be interested enough to work on it.

• Like 1

Nice suggestion. The 3th is the only one I'm not sure. If you have a friend programmer you can invite to you us and he can help us to fixing and improve many things.

I don't know where you heard that, but melee infantry units also add to the number of arrows.

Though I agree, it should be shown a bit nicer in the GUI

No, I'm saying that melee should stay as they are. Some people were saying that only ranged should and I was saying that unless its communicated effectively I don't think it would be a good idea.

I should have quoted one of the previous posts to make it more clear.

I am going to point these issues out again and a few new ones I noticed, just to make sure they haven't been missed.

Most of the factions with biremes/penteconters, triremes, and quinqueremes, specifically the Hellenes, the Macedonians, the Ptolemies, the Romans, the Seleucids, and the Spartans, need their specific and/or generic names cleaned up to the standard of the warships for the Athenians, the Carthaginians, and the Persians. The triremes in question are also using an outdated tooltip that is superseding the new one. For example, the Roman Quinquereme isn't even using its proper specific name, which seems like it should use the feminine version like the Roman Trireme was changed to recently.

Are the Ptolemaic warships really going to be the Penteres for the medium warship and the Octeres for the heavy warship? I also believe Warship can be dropped from the generic name of the Ptolemaic Tessarakonteres (Juggernaut), like it is on the Ptolemies civ profile, and a Champion Warship template is probably needed.

The Mauryan warships, the Roman Consul Bodyguard, and the Macedonian Companion Cavalry are also using an outdated tooltip, much like the triremes. Though in the case of the Mauryan warships, the tooltips just need to be updated, since they are unique in comparison to most of the other warships.

Lastly, the Gallic Tavern does not decay and could use a tooltip cleanup, preferably with the language from the house. Don't forget about the Celtic Tavern version from scenarios. Speaking of scenarios, some of the other scenario only structures could use some attention. The Mauryan Palace could probably be given the specific name Harmya, which again comes from that Sanskrit website, http://spokensanskrit.de/.

I have the corrected files if it will help fix these issues faster.

Edited by Zeta1127
  • Like 1

Guys you noticed, since 13 Alpha or 14 the UnitAi have problem with behavior don't attack to enemy, happens to me yesterday in Corinthian Isthmus is normal have Agressive stances a velite can respond to fire to a long range Persian unit.

And some cavalry sometimes the units ignore the attacks don't perform the counterattack .

And when you build some times a blocks of several houses the units only only finish one. And same with wall, only build a Turrents or only build a segment but don't work in the turrets.

And why stand ground with a unit range don't attacks, en defense is the problem( not always)

And late two for to upload the garrison units and why it's not anymore ejecting one per one.

I have some suggestions; I don't know whether or not some of them may have already been kicked around, but anyway, here goes:

1. Enable each hero to be trained only once - in real life people can't normally be "resurrected", and players would be compelled to use their hero judiciously if they knew he wasn't expendable.

2. Enable trade with both allied AND neutral players - again, true to life; I don't believe a player should have to be outright allies with another player in order to enjoy economic benefits; if a player is operating as "isolationist" in a particular game I think he should have the freedom to engage in trade with other civs without the obligation of military aid that an alliance would entail. Perhaps being allies with a player could grant someone a trade bonus, but I'd prefer not to bar non-allies from trading altogether.

3. Grant siege towers and rams decreased speed but much greater armor - As things stand now, the siege tower acts as a mobile "offense" tower super-weapon, discharging arrows while scooting around the battlefield, and it can move almost as quickly as some infantry units (slightly unbelievable, to say the least). Rams, on the other hand, are too easily defeated by arrows. Basically, I'd like the rams to move a little slower than their present rate of speed, the siege towers somewhat slower, and I'd like the rams to have much more armor, and the siege towers somewhat more than at present.

4. Grant archers and slingers increased range - These units' maximum shooting ranges are almost within the LOS of some enemy melee troops; I feel that ranged units should be given a greater effective distance to give them a better chance of getting some hits in before being rushed by enemy infantry.

5. Speaking of archers - when several or more archers are in proximity to one another, their tendency (at least in my experience) is to all volley fire together at ONE target among many, a vastly ineffective way of damaging an enemy formation when time is of the essence. Is there a way to stop this behavior? I think it would be better if each archer aims at the nearest available enemy within his own range (or the nearest enemy that he is "bonused" against, if that has been implemented yet).

6. Add a human figure to the Persian camel trader model (like the way the Gallic and Briton donkey traders are portrayed) - Camel units without at least one human in front for guidance/leadership/direction look odd. Perhaps the following idea isn't practical any time soon, but what if after training, say, 5 camel units from the Persian market, they had to be placed in a group via the Ctrl key to enable trading capabilities, at which point the 5-unit caravan would go into a single file formation, and a human figure would be generated at the front of the line alongside the foremost camel.

Edited by Zophim

As regard to the fifth suggestion, I'd like a stance option available to archer formations (some civs only!, and pure archer formation?): "Pin them down" or "Area Interdiction" where a whole area is aimed with raining arrows.

• The archer would be as vulnerable as if ordered "Stand your ground" (I figure it takes time to abort this stance and start moving again as a formation).
  • This stance would be available only to advanced?, elite and champion archer units. I figure that non eligible units in the formation wouldn't participate to the computing.
  • The selection of this stance (or formation type?) would change the cursor into a target and the player would move this target in a roughly sectoral area defined by a min and max distance, and an angle counted from the direction the formation faces.The max distance would be lesser than the normal max distance. The area is not customizable, only placeable, although it would be a bit larger the larger the formation is. (The benefit from a large archer formation would be the "rain" density however.)
  • Then, each archer would shoot N arrows consecutively (animations) and the total arrow number (known in advance by the engine) would be evenly affected a coordinate set in the sectoral zone. Or better, it would define an impact density, the same for the whole targeted area.
  • After a mean delay (arrow flying to the target), each enemy (and allied) unit is checked against the impact density, possibly scoring more than one hit. Larger units have more chances to be hit (cavalry, siege). Special formations protect well against these volleys (and even tight formations should provide a slight protective bonus). The computing being a special case one, it would be possible to alter the piercing armor of all the units in the area (that would be normally used against aimed arrows) and then compensate it with a formation bonus. Other said, one can figure that a shielded unit not able to effectively use its shield against raining arrows (because engaged in mêlée, not trained, not in formation, etc.) would have a lower piercing armor for that computing only.
  • After N individual shots or N volleys, the formation is dismissed or changes to "Stand your ground", and cannot use "Pin them down" again before a cool-down timer has expired. I don't know how to prevent a player from immediately re-ordering this attack. Maybe a temporary flag on each archer unit could prevent it to be grouped again or if grouped, to be counted in the impact density computing?
  • Like 1

• Stan` featured this topic