Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

Perhaps we could get a bigger cue that our towns are under attack? I was just out micromanging my psycho hunting team on insane speed and when i went to go back to my CC to build some different units I realized my CC and all my other teams near it were gone. No warning whatsoever.

Perhaps we could get a bigger cue that our towns are under attack? I was just out micromanging my psycho hunting team on insane speed and when i went to go back to my CC to build some different units I realized my CC and all my other teams near it were gone. No warning whatsoever.

It is being worked on, see http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/1719 (it needs to be reviewed by the programmers to make sure it works as it should and doesn't add any bugs (of course some can still slip through, but reviewing it at least means the major things can be found before it's put in the game for everyone)).

I see there are quite some units in scenarios not available in multiplayer. I assume this is done for balance reasons.

These could be potential units for upgrade dilemmas, like;

Gaul

-naked fanatic or champion swordsman

Persia

-Indian war elephant or Assyrian siege engine

However this is much more difficult to implement of course. It is quite a challenge to balance.

It does make a player not give too many options making it unfair, but in 2v2 you could have Gauls with both naked fanatics and champion swordsmen (1 player having the fanatics the other the swordsmen).

Another issue is that one unit does not get picked at all.

As far as I know this hasn't been suggested yet...statistics!

Specifically, for resources

ie:

"Food

- "5 workers"

-"2 fields"

- collection rate (ie. units per minute)"

This would be very useful when building or training units, you could look to see how long it will take to save up

resources to build or train and allocate more workers to speed this up, also just generally manage your workers to be more effecient.

It could also show off the game and game engine, giving an insight into it's calculations etc.

The statistics could be shown in a tooltip or pop-up window

What does everyone think?

Edited by EojjN

As far as I know this hasn't been suggested yet...statistics!

What does everyone think?

At first I wasn't so sure what to think.

But I think it's a nice idea. Could be very useful when you have an economy and want to know how everything is doing. You click on a button and you see that you have few workers and few collection rate of wood.

Though some arguments against:

-I notice already if one particular rescource is doing well by the amount of it. So I'm not sure if it is really needed.

-It could maybe make the game too easy?

Welcome to the forum by the way! Keep on sharing your ideas.

At first I wasn't so sure what to think.

But I think it's a nice idea. Could be very useful when you have an economy and want to know how everything is doing. You click on a button and you see that you have few workers and few collection rate of wood.

Though some arguments against:

-I notice already if one particular rescource is doing well by the amount of it. So I'm not sure if it is really needed.

-It could maybe make the game too easy?

Welcome to the forum by the way! Keep on sharing your ideas.

The reason I came up with the idea was I was finding the amount of a resource I had at a particular time wasn't necessarily relevant, for example if I had just built something and used up a load of the resources I had.

I think it would be particularly useful to someone focusing more on economic aspects of the game.

What do you mean by making the game too easy? I would say it just make some information more available to the player.

Thank you for the welcome. This is such a brilliant and inspirational project, I really want to help out!!

- (on post from above) It's mostly known as 'the vill counter' in other strategy games. I would highly recommend doing this.

I have played lots of RTSgames and in some this vill counter had even been made by fans as a mod.

If you want a high level of play where you can really get the most out of the game, i would go for it.

- also i am not aware of this, but how far are the hotkeys developped? Can we change them anywhere?

- also another idea (i have no clue if this is already implented, i am on my laptop currently and havent played the game recently): if you got your militarybuilding (or something else) clicked on, you can choose from icons of units to make (right?). It would be cool if you right/leftclicked the icon you would get a text of information about the units as in how much they cost, armor, damage etc.

- (on post from above) It's mostly known as 'the vill counter' in other strategy games. I would highly recommend doing this.

I have played lots of RTSgames and in some this vill counter had even been made by fans as a mod.

If you want a high level of play where you can really get the most out of the game, i would go for it.

- also i am not aware of this, but how far are the hotkeys developped? Can we change them anywhere?

- also another idea (i have no clue if this is already implented, i am on my laptop currently and havent played the game recently): if you got your militarybuilding (or something else) clicked on, you can choose from icons of units to make (right?). It would be cool if you right/leftclicked the icon you would get a text of information about the units as in how much they cost, armor, damage etc.

Hotkeys: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/HotKeys

How to change them: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Manual_Settings (a config file for now, but there will be a config screen eventually)

Just hold your mouse pointer over the icon to see a fair amount of information.

The hot keys can be changed by editing the config file ATM a GUI is planed as for the costs of various units just hover your cursor over any unit icon a tool-tip pops up with that info ;)

Edit: feneur you type much faster than I do :(

Enjoy the Choice :)

Edited by Loki1950

I think you could add a small marker, showing where you clicked, when you issue a move order to a unit. It would be a small detail but I think that it would make the game feel a bit more responsive.

Great game btw, love it. Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Hi,

I have a suggestion: It would be cool to see how many females and how many citizen soldiers are gathering the ressources!

Somewhere on the screen should something be like this:

18 female and 4 citizen soldiers are gathering food

15 female and 17 citizen soldiers are gathering wood

I hope you understand what I mean.

Hoemi

PS: Sorry for my english. English isn't my mother tongue.

Hi,

I have a suggestion: It would be cool to see how many females and how many citizen soldiers are gathering the ressources!

Somewhere on the screen should something be like this:

18 female and 4 citizen soldiers are gathering food

15 female and 17 citizen soldiers are gathering wood

I hope you understand what I mean.

Hoemi

PS: Sorry for my english. English isn't my mother tongue.

You don't have to say sorry. I can understand you well. I didn't see any errors at all in your post.

I scored high on English at school, but I still make many errors.

Someone else suggested something similar but different.

It would come in handy, though I wouldn't like it on the screen on default. I prefer a pop-up window showing such statistics as you said or statistics as someone else suggested (gathering rate). Kind of like the diplomacy window.

I think you could add a small marker, showing where you clicked, when you issue a move order to a unit. It would be a small detail but I think that it would make the game feel a bit more responsive.

Breaking it up between females and citizen soldiers is a good idea IMO.

i agree. it's good to know that your command went through, and it's a basic feature of just about every computer as well. that's why we get pop-up menus when we right-click. not only that, but every RTS i've ever played (and alot of other games, too) also have some kind of visual indicator

I think responsiveness/feedback to the player is not a "small detail". It's extremely helpful and should happen with the least delay possible (while the more calculation intense actual order may be executes with some delay without causing problems because the player knows the order is given).

• Like 1

That seems much better as a pop up window. Though with females and males it becomes a bit more difficult, but doable I guess.

Something I really would love, is seeing the experience levels expanded, I explained how in the combat enhancement thread. But not people seem to like this. Let me tell a story and everyone will understand it is great, especially with the planned names for units:

"You are playing 0 A.D., you have some soldiers. You are attacking a enemy group. The fight is over, you notice one citizen-soldier looks different. You click on him, his name is <something> Maximus. You are like cool.

You fight more battles and you see Maximus leveling up to stage 3. Kind of cool. You look at him again and see he has gained stage 4, which is rare. And even later he has gained stage 5 which is extremely rare.

Maximus becomes somekind of a proto-hero and is capable of taking on a few soldiers at once (not too many, and not too easy). But then "Noooo Maximus!", Maximus dies like Elias in Platoon or Boromir in the Lord of the Rings. And you are sad."

EDIT: Imagine this:

Or this:

We only need the expanded level system, the names and of course overly dramatic death animations.

Concerning that, I would also like some little statistics how many my individual soldiers have killed. In Company of Heroes, which has this, I sometimes have a veteran 3 tank with let's say 65 infantry killed and 4 tanks. When the tank get's destroyed, I'm really sad, I sometimes say out loud to my screen when alone:

"Noooooooo! Why!?"

I had another idea, which surely few will like; I think it would be awesome if regular soldiers turned into heroes instead of making historic heroes, it makes more sense to me a hero is created on the battlefield instead of in a building. It would work like this:

-if individual unit reaches x kills (a amount that would be rare to number), it turns into a hero

-if another one reaches the same kills he does not turn into a hero, but if the first one dies he will

When I thought of this, I didn't think of auras, but yeah, I am pretty sure no one of the developers wants to change the current system and I think few would like this.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The next idea is different, see the red part of this:

post-15445-0-56209800-1372441878_thumb.j

In Company of Heroes you could select buildings there. I think this would be very nice to have in 0 A.D. So in the red part you would have all the little icons of buildings and when you click on them it goes to the building you clicked on, if there are more you would click again.

I'm not sure though, maybe some think hotkeys are good enough and this is not needed.

Edited by Unarmed

The developers thought of this, it is definitely discussed and it might be planned.

I would also love it.

Yeah, I think it just makes sense, it could also lead to some interesting playstyles, ie. one player collecting resources and giving to their ally in exchange for units.

I think the economic side of the game needs lots and lots of improvement and development...

Yeah, I think it just makes sense, it could also lead to some interesting playstyles, ie. one player collecting resources and giving to their ally in exchange for units.

I think the economic side of the game needs lots and lots of improvement and development...

I can imagine a huge economic power giving units to it's less economically ally. If implemented I think I would favour it over resources. Imagine if you have game without locked teams, you give a ally units and the next thing you know, your ally declares war to you and your own units are turned against you!

I think economic side, and to me diplomatic side, could indeed be futher developed. Though it's kind of difficult since some players want it simple. We need to look at ways in which we can please as many people as possible.

On the other hand, if research would say 80 percent of players wants a improved economic side, 5 percent doesn't care and only 15 percent doesn't want it? But who knows, the 15 percent could be the developers, haha.

In short: it's complicated.

(Don't let that stop you from stating your opinions, and suggesting! But it's a good idea to think about.)

I can imagine a huge economic power giving units to it's less economically ally. If implemented I think I would favour it over resources. Imagine if you have game without locked teams, you give a ally units and the next thing you know, your ally declares war to you and your own units are turned against you!

Haha, that would be terrible, but at the same time, why not? Must have happened so many times throughout history!

I think economic side, and to me diplomatic side, could indeed be futher developed. Though it's kind of difficult since some players want it simple. We need to look at ways in which we can please as many people as possible.

On the other hand, if research would say 80 percent of players wants a improved economic side, 5 percent doesn't care and only 15 percent doesn't want it? But who knows, the 15 percent could be the developers, haha.

In short: it's complicated.

(Don't let that stop you from stating your opinions, and suggesting! But it's a good idea to think about.)

I can see the problem of some people wanting things simple all over the forums, also people who don't want to take the project any further than a clone of AOK, which sort of baffles me to be honest!

• Like 1

• Stan` featured this topic