Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

A quick Wikipedia trip to read about Edmund Gorey turned into a Linky Goodness! distraction adventure again and I soon found myself reading about ancient big ships. Definitely pretty impressive stuff there, like the Syracusia.

If there was truly a Herculean test of Archimedes' knowledge of levers and pulleys, it was the launch of what may have been antiquity's largest ship, the Syracusia. Commissioned by King Hieron as a gift for Egypt's ruler, Ptolemy, the Syracusia weighed in at more than two thousand tons and was said to have had a library, gymnasium, bath, chapel, promenades lined with flower beds, a multicolored floor mosaic depicting the entire story of the Iliad, plus accommodations for hundreds of passengers, soldiers, and horses. Archimedes himself saw to it that the vessel was equipped with advanced weaponry of his own design, as well as an Archimedean screw to bail the bilge.

Anyway, I thought that a big barge would make a fun editor-only special unit. It'd transport a lot of units and would be armed with a catapult, as well as act as a mobile dropsite.

Just a little thing but i've been wanting to mention it for a few days now:

In the game (in the history info bit i think) it says how the Iberians are of 'unknown origin'. However i have read (perhaps in one of Tom Hollands books or was that book about the 10th legion?) that the Romans considered the Iberians to be of Greek origin like themselves and in military terms they were respected as tough fighters by the Romans. - just thought i'd mention it :)

Just a little thing but i've been wanting to mention it for a few days now:

In the game (in the history info bit i think) it says how the Iberians are of 'unknown origin'. However i have read (perhaps in one of Tom Hollands books or was that book about the 10th legion?) that the Romans considered the Iberians to be of Greek origin like themselves and in military terms they were respected as tough fighters by the Romans. - just thought i'd mention it :)

Interesting. Could you give more info about the book? We need to make sure all the articles within the game are of a reliable source, so we'd need to research more about it (what proof of his claims the author has and this kind of stuff) before accepting (or rejecting) it.

I'm sorry Pedro but i can't remember which book ... probably the one i read about the 10th legion - the 'spanish'; legion, or 'Caesars legion'. Although there seems to have been many books written about the 10th legion and i don't remember the authors name. Perhaps googling the subject of the origins of the Iberians might yield better results than 'unknown origins' however.

It seems completely reasonable to me that they could be descended from the greeks ... who expanded throughout the mediterrainian to turkey, northafrica, and i can easily imagine spain/iberia also. Stated in the book was that the the romans considered the Iberians to be like themselves ... of the same stock, and of greek origin. I can only presume that the book wouldn't have mentioned this unless it had a valid source in some roman writing/literature from the time.

I am not sure if anyone has addressed this, so I am quoting it here to ensure it doesn't get overlooked.

To my knowledge, the scenario Laconia still uses the old version of the Spartiā́tēs in the starting army that is supposed to get massacred.

Also, units don't seem to be able to reach the top of the southwestern acropolis in some versions of the scenario Acropolis, specifically Acropolis 2, 3, and 5, when there is an unfinished Greek temple or treasure on top of it.

Has there been given any thought towards getting resources from the remains of ravaged buildings?

I'd like to see villagers clean the rubble to gain a small protion of the buildings resources and allow new buildings to be build on the site.

You automatically gain a small amount of resources (loot) for every building destroyed and every unit killed, we know this is not at all obvious. Adding manual gathering is unlikely to happen since we want to avoid too many extra little things for players to do and this doesn't seem to give any interesting game play effects.

You automatically gain a small amount of resources (loot) for every building destroyed and every unit killed, we know this is not at all obvious. Adding manual gathering is unlikely to happen since we want to avoid too many extra little things for players to do and this doesn't seem to give any interesting game play effects.

Ah, I had not noticed that yet. However, great to know there is indeed such a mechanic at work.

On the topic of a possible wonder or other unique buildigs for the Celtic tribes:

The Gauls aren't known to have build any large structures like the Britons did. Their largest known buildings are sanctuaries such as 'Gournay sur Aronde' and 'Ribemont-sur-Ancre' but I feel this is already well covered in-game by the current temple structure. However there were these large megalithic structures such als Dolmen(graves) and Menhir(?). However, like Stonehenge they are believed to be build long before the time of the Gauls and Britons. However, they might still be useful to the game, but in need of some tweaking. Since the original history on these objects is lost that shouldn't be too big of a deal.

My idea would be to have for multiple smaller ones like the Dolmen and/or Menhir. Although they didn't build them does not mean they didn't hold any value for them, since their druids are known as keepers of the old knowledge. (They could have used these for their rituals.) The option could be added to have a druid 'find' or 'discover' such a structure instead of having your villagers build one. These could then give small area boosts such as replenish forests or lure wildlife. (Deforestation was a problem for Celts, especially for the Britons. Giving the Gauls a small forest boost over the Britons wouldn't be unreasonable.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If any american civs are ever going to be added: The Tiahuanacu, they lived something like 2000BC - 1000AD, but for as far as I know they never participated in any war, so they may not be very interesting as a civilisation xD They would be nice as mini-civ (they were good traders)

coincidentally, i came up with an idea for how to set up the criteria of further civ additions. stay with me on this, because it might be a little confusing.

0 A.D. is basically a spiritual successor to Age of Empires, right? every single one of the civilizations in the game (broadly) has been represented somewhere in the AOE series. now, perhaps future civilizations could be decided upon based on other civs that have been in the AOE series (namely AOE and AOK). this could even include civs that could have been included but weren't for whatever reason.

okay, so here's my new proposals for future 0ad civs based on the first and second AOE games and their respective expansions (i'm just listing them; some of these obviously wouldn't fit into the game's timeframe; ones that are already represented are crossed out):

• Assyrians
  • Austrians
  • Aztecs
  • Babylonians
  • Britons (Anglo-Saxons in part2)
  • Carthaginians (Carthaginians)
  • Celts (Brythonic Celts)
  • Choson>Koreans
  • Egyptians (Ptolemaic Egyptians)
  • Franks (Gaulish Celts)
  • Goths
  • Greeks>Byzantines (Athenians, Spartans) (Eastern Romans in part2)
  • Hittites>Turks
  • Huns (Huns in part2)
  • Inca
  • Indians (Mauryan Indians)
  • Italians
  • Khmer
  • Macedonians (Macedonians)
  • Magyars/Hungarians
  • Mayans (Mayans in part2)
  • Minoans
  • Mongols
  • Palmyrans
  • Persians (Achaemenid Persians) (Sassanid Persians in part2)
  • Phoenicians
  • Poles/Polish
  • Romans (Republican Romans) (Western Romans in part2)
  • Russians
  • Saracens* (Himyar Arabs)
  • Shang>Chinese (Han Chinese)
  • Spanish (Iberians)
  • Sumerians
  • Swiss
  • Teutons ("Germanics")
  • Tibetans
  • Vikings
  • Yamato>Japanese (Yamato Japanese)

*i decided to mark Saracens by themselves because it's a rather collective term for Arabs

again, these are just a few suggestions and ideas

Aren't Aztecs a medieval/modern ages civ?
yes they are. i was just listing the AOE civs from the first and second game and their expansions. that's also why i only listed an idea for the Mayans, which were at the height of their power or approaching it during 0 A.D.'s timeframe

and, as stated in a Q&A about the inclusion of the Aztecs and Mayans to AOK, the creators of that game clarified that they weren't savages with stone weapons and incapable of fighting off metal-using invaders (Spanish conquistadors with firearms and a few thousand native allies notwithstanding). their weapons were made of obsidian, which is many times sharper than steel when properly crafted. i even devised a basic setup of what Aztec units would be included for a separate project, reasoning that because horses were not native to their lands, they would get every infantry unit and a fast runner who is functionally a cavalryman to compensate

but that's beside the point. if any Amerindian civilization were to be included, i would recommend the Mayans rather than the Aztecs or Inca. i think the only reason that the Mayans aren't as well known as the other two (and that's saying something, because the Mayans are really famous) is because their civilization had collapsed long before the Spanish arrived in Central America (ironically, they actually lasted longer than the Aztecs and Inca is resisting annexation into New Spain)

in a Chronological eurocentrism, yes they are, yes they are, but Technological matter not.

for me.

true, but still, one of the ground rules about 0 A.D., iirc, is that a civilization must have been at about the height of its power between 500 BC and 500 AD in order to be included (hence dating the Romans to Caesar's time and the Spartans to Leonidas'), which is why i didn't mark down a Viking civilization in my earlier post: the Viking Age began after 500 AD, and why the Egyptians are of the Ptolemaic dynasties rather than the independent ones, because the Egyptians were not independent following 402 BC and were arguably more distinct under Greek rule than under Persian (at least, i assume)

• Like 1

Also with a little help from an outbreak of measles that they brought.Also responsible for the the population crash in the area north of De Soto's landing.

Enjoy the Choice :)

the firearms not was than destructive like Diseases and Steels Sword, was more Psychological, Even the White Skin, Naval Ships and horses was more psychological.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dedm9277tIg#t=805s

in the video guys talk [in Spanish] about Weapons and Battles Again Aztec vs Cortes Spanish Army. is very Visual.

The name of Documentary by History Channel Latinoamerica: Exploración Azteca

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

The Mayans would be a very difficult civilization to research, because most of their culture was destroyed.

The AoK creators excuse to include Aztecs was because their obsidian weapons were sharper than Spanish steel? This is like another japanese katana versus European swords discussion. Aztec weapons were not created to kill spanish soldiers in armour.

The Mayans would be a very difficult civilization to research, because most of their culture was destroyed.

The AoK creators excuse to include Aztecs was because their obsidian weapons were sharper than Spanish steel? This is like another japanese katana versus European swords discussion. Aztec weapons were not created to kill spanish soldiers in armour.

Obsidian is more efficient to holding its self sharper than steel, but not in a wooden club. and yes Katana is most Sharpen Sword.

Mayan destroy their World them self, only few Cities surviving, that called Mayan Collapse.

im i agree with you with Aztec weapon is no made for figthing against a European Armor, but Cortes forces was small comparated with Aztec force, Tenochtitlan was one of the largest in the world; compared to Europe, only Paris, Venice and Constantinople were larger.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

• Stan` featured this topic