Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

We had informal discussions in the past about adding personal names to each unit, then at the end of the match you'd have a casualty list and what rank they achieved, etc. But it's really just one of those things that don't affect gameplay at all and kind of a "fluff" feature.

if anything, the player should be allowed to rename their civic center to designate it as the central hub of a specific city, depending on your preference. so, if they wanted, someone playing as the Macedonians could name one of their towns "Alexandria"

He finds the units' name in their own language plus their role is enough names. There is no need to add such a feature, though it would enhance the immersion.

Pedro understands me ^^

It's exactly what I mean. I'm not saying it destroys the gameplay, not much effects there.

But being at stage alpha, this is really not a priority, and even in a few years, I wouldn't be very pleased having names everywhere, where you don't need them.

If so however, make it a box you can check or uncheck in your options.

Pedro understands me ^^

It's exactly what I mean. I'm not saying it destroys the gameplay, not much effects there.

But being at stage alpha, this is really not a priority, and even in a few years, I wouldn't be very pleased having names everywhere, where you don't need them.

men when someone suggests something doesnt do it for the next alpha but for the future versions

men when someone suggests something doesnt do it for the next alpha but for the future versions

Yeah, but, again, we can't afford the time to keep adding minor features like this. They may not seem much, but may yet consume time and developers' will to contribute. This would be cool to add, but unless someone with time decides to come and do it for the team, don't expect to see it soon. And by "soon" i mean 0 A.D. part 1.

I'd like to have an option to make my farms renew if wood is available for example

@ bill:

I do understand, that your suggestions might be long term, and not expected in next alphas, therefore:

even in a few years, I wouldn't be very pleased having names everywhere, where you don't need them.

Cuz I real realy don't want those names on MY screen (suggesting a checkbox in options, I respect your wish, I just don't share it). Edited by alkazar-ipse
Profanity

@ bill:

I'd like to have an option to make my farms renew if wood available, sh.t on unit names

I also understand, that your suggestions might be long term, and not expected in next alphas, therefore:

Cuz irel rel dont want those names on MY screen (suggesting a checkbox in options shows I respect your wish, I just dont (profanity) share it).

Could you please stuff the vitriolic language? It doesn't really add anything to the discussion and only helps polarize people from moving on to other topics.

Edited by Jeru
Profanity

Hi there dev team. I was just wondering if it was possible to have some sort of in-game buildable bridge/mole that you can use to cross over water. I was interested in doing some scenario design using 0AD around Alexander the Great's campaigns. The Siege of Tyre is what I had in mind where he built a mole between the mainland and the island of Tyre during his 9 month siege. I thought it would be brilliant to be able to recapture that in a real-time scenario but I don't know whether that would be possible in using 0AD's design features. Most scenario editors I have encountered don't have this capability to build usable bridges in-game.

Hi there dev team. I was just wondering if it was possible to have some sort of in-game buildable bridge/mole that you can use to cross over water. I was interested in doing some scenario design using 0AD around Alexander the Great's campaigns. The Siege of Tyre is what I had in mind where he built a mole between the mainland and the island of Tyre during his 9 month siege. I thought it would be brilliant to be able to recapture that in a real-time scenario but I don't know whether that would be possible in using 0AD's design features. Most scenario editors I have encountered don't have this capability to build usable bridges in-game.

You can always mod the game to do your bidding. But, answering your question, no, we don't have bridges yet.

Since docks can be placed well ingame and bridges would have to be placed similar I don't see why not. However, I'm not working at that part of the code so it's the decision of developers who do to add this feature. It will be some work for sure and I don't think it has the highest priority but I think it's worth a thought.

Sorry for not saying " I'm already working on it" but that's just not the way open source projects work ;) .

That's why I sometimes don't think there is a point in making suggestion on this game too. The developers suggest to the fan-base that they should attempt to create their suggestions into contributions for the game.

Don't forget the developers aren't paid, they are doing this game because they are fans of it already. But since they don't get paid, they can only do what is comfortable for them to do and i don't blame them for this. This doesn't interfere, though, on the fact that two heads think better than one, and that we may have had experiences they didn't.

That's why I sometimes don't think there is a point in making suggestion on this game too. The developers suggest to the fan-base that they should attempt to create their suggestions into contributions for the game.

A suggestion for exactly how to do something is one thing, wanting to change the entire way something is done this late in development is another. It's simply not an option in more or less all cases. But, and this is the main reason someone might mention that "you can do it yourself": unlike most games where you're forced to have things the way the developers decided in this case it is actually possible to change things to be the way you like them :)

This message is really for the developers, however, others involved with the project are welcome to get involved.

For gamers who do not have a 3d graphics card will find it very hard to play the game well, as the graphics are not rendering properly and they are very slow. is there a way this program could detect the graphics card's abilities, and let the user know if their graphics card is compatible with the game.

This message is really for the developers, however, others involved with the project are welcome to get involved.

For gamers who do not have a 3d graphics card will find it very hard to play the game well, as the graphics are not rendering properly and they are very slow. is there a way this program could detect the graphics card's abilities, and let the user know if their graphics card is compatible with the game.

It already does that to some extent, and we hope to make the detection better (and eventually set just the settings a player's graphics card can handle) as the development moves along. You will definitely always need a graphics card with 3D capabilities though :)

i dont have one XD and play fine, except the Lag for Pathfinding and CPU Processor.

You do have one, otherwise the game would not run :) However you might not have a dedicated graphics card but rather one that is integrated with the motherboard, that doesn't mean it isn't there/doesn't support 3D though ;)

• 3 weeks later...

First off, a bit off-topic, but I really have to praise you guys for having such an incredible game on Linux! KD Truly awesome job!

Now, I was wondering about the AI though. I know the AI is very much still in development ... along with most things, but the game is very much playable ... much more than anyone would expect in an "alpha" anything. The way I see it, on straight-forward maps, AI is quite challenging. I'm not sure, but the problem seems to be that the AI can perform actions at a rate faster than a human can (or in some cases, ever could). I've seen the problem in many open source RTS games. I was thinking that maybe a time delay between AI actions could help? Be it constant, or a random period of time, based on a player-defined range of delay times. What do you think?

The AI isn't performing actions particularly fast. We do plan to add difficulty levels but I don't think this is the way to go about it. Basically if we just straight limited the actions to your action rate the AI would be at a disadvantage unless we added more code to do things like send units to gather as a group (which is what a player does), similarly the AI doesn't use rally points because it can just instantly assign them when trained. So you can see that most of the faster action rate goes into making the code simpler rather than any particular play benefit.

There are some possible techniques that a 0 A.D AI could use which would be exploiting the faster actions per second, none of the existing AI's do this however.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Stan` featured this topic