Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

Gatherpoint for sheep production plz

edit: also... I'm always scared by those spooking siege weapons moving around on the map all by their own.

I think historicaly humans were necessary to make ie. a balista be in use, I stoped believing in ghost stories.

;)

If we have enough time/skilled contributors we do intend to include operators. It is a very low priority though, as fewer people are skilled animators than modelers, so the people we have with those skills have to prioritize quite a lot and then things like making sure animals are animated at all is more important. Also, this is a game, not a simulation ;) So some things will necessarily be simplified like that, as a related example, it is extremely unlikely that we will make any possible operators separate from the siege engine (which would mean that you would actively have to assign people to them, that they could be captured etc), such things make a lot of sense in e.g. a game like the Total War series where not only is the war part separate from the economy part, it is also much more focused. After all, there you're essentially just managing 20 units (if it even is that many, I haven't played one of them for a long time), while in 0 A.D. you can control up to 300 different units at the same time. (Thankfully you don't have to control every unit individually all the time thanks to units being busy and groups/formations, but still, my point is that the scope of what you can do means that we have to be sure that the things which you do really matters.)

I suggest turning particles off on building previews, because they suggest the building is in use (which a preview shouldn't be) and it looks weird when the preview is cancelled and the smoke remains.

I also suggest turning off the decals on the previews because they aren't really part of the building.

Edited by zoot

I suggest turning particles off on building previews, because they suggest the building is in use (which a preview shouldn't be) and it looks weird when the preview is cancelled and the smoke remains.

I also suggest turning off the decals on the previews because they aren't really part of the building.

Hmm, that does feel like a lot of work for something that's really down to opinion which way it should be done. It would be nice if the smoke would go away immediately though.

Is it possible in part 2 to add the Aksum empire from Africa? And Guptas?

A lot of things are possible for part 2 :) We will have to finish part 1 before we start deciding what's going into part 2 though ;) Not saying it's wrong to suggest something for part 2, only that it's probably going to be forgotten and lost by the time work on part 2 is begun :P

If we have enough time/skilled contributors we do intend to include operators. It is a very low priority though, as fewer people are skilled animators than modelers, so the people we have with those skills have to prioritize quite a lot and then things like making sure animals are animated at all is more important. Also, this is a game, not a simulation ;) So some things will necessarily be simplified like that, as a related example, it is extremely unlikely that we will make any possible operators separate from the siege engine (which would mean that you would actively have to assign people to them, that they could be captured etc), such things make a lot of sense in e.g. a game like the Total War series where not only is the war part separate from the economy part, it is also much more focused. After all, there you're essentially just managing 20 units (if it even is that many, I haven't played one of them for a long time), while in 0 A.D. you can control up to 300 different units at the same time. (Thankfully you don't have to control every unit individually all the time thanks to units being busy and groups/formations, but still, my point is that the scope of what you can do means that we have to be sure that the things which you do really matters.)

I'm not asking that the siege engines have a munition count, or a scalable speed according to people pushing it. My request is purely graphic (visual), not semantic.

It's not about ability to be captured, though I think when the time comes for buildings, siege weapons should definatly show the same feature,

but just about my eye that sees a piece of wood walking around...

I mean, as You truely say: you HAVE TO simplifie. If one wants a simulation, your ranged attacks should be hurting your own melee units.

And as other people suggested, you'de have to add lots of resource types: honey, milk, salt, pillows, shoes... (fill in the blanc with what ever objects existed at that time)

It's a game, but i think animating a walking unit next to a siege engine shoulndt be too much to ask. I mean even if its temporarly an already existing unit in worker mode next to it only walking along.

furthermore the gathering point is already implemented for civic centers, barracks and forts, i think sheep should be gatherable. PS: it sucks that hunters have to shoot 300 javelos at a DOMESTIC sheep to kill it.

For the chatting feature (be it team chat or not) I'd like to have numbers (i.e 1-10) to output a audio message, for example (taking this from aAoE3):

1-yes

2-no

3-need food (once team resource sending will be able)

4-need wood

5 need metal

etc (dont make too many, unusefull things as they did in AoE, but some of them like 15-"wololoooo" or 21-"haha" were quite good to express your emotions sparing many bad words...)

I would recommend that someone updates a few of the history articles. To begin, there is Xenophon's article. In Xenophon's article it only explains about his march with the ten thousand and little more. He was far more active than that though. During the Peloponnesian War he fought as a knight (hint: he should be a cavalry unit.) and served under the thirty tyrants. During the Battle of Coronea he battled against the Athenians, fighting alongside King Agesilaos. The rest of his life was mostly spent in a villa in Sparta. He was a great admirer of the Spartan ideals and of King Agesilaos.

This comes to my second suggestion. Replace Xenophon with a more patriotic Athenian. Two good ideas are Iphikrates and Alkibiades.

Another far to short article is Perikles's. It hardly says anything about his life and service to Athens.

The final article I suggest that you update is Britomartos's. In this article it merely tells about a well armored Celt challenging the Roman army to a duel. The Roman man of the hour kills him with ease. Perhaps either the article should sound more biased toward the Gaelic fellow or another hero should be found. I prefer the latter.

I agree with replacing Xenophon with someone more patriotic. We'd probably keep him in Atlas though.

i agree, wholeheartedly. if nothing else, it would be useful to keep old versions of units, buildings, and so on in the game for scenario design. that way, for a campaign, Xenophon could appear as himself instead of being simulated with someone else, even if he's not part of regular gameplay (similar to those elven ships and modern airplanes that have been included already)

it's impossible to pit alcibiades into a single faction, because he kept swapping sides to cover his butt.

And as for the makedonian library, i say just make it so you can research alot of non-standard upgrades there, as opposed to foreign tech. besides, some of that foreign tech might only work on that faction given it has structures, units and heroes to be affected, seperate ones, than makedonians have, so it'd be a headache to implement.

for the library (though i think it works best as a wonder) i would recommend saving its actual ability for one of the last things to actually be added to the game: any technologies that don't affect one specific aspect of a civilization or a civilization's specific units (eg "all infantry spearmen" rather than just "all hoplites") can be researched at the library, including Macedonian ones (though by that time the Macedonians would have probably researched those technologies already); the placement of Macedonian techs as well would be for the benefit of other civilizations that, in a given custom scenario, may capture the Library. ultimately, these techs would probably cover mostly architecture

Edited by oshron

My ideas:

1 Before build house player by pressing some key can choose style.

2 Player сan be planted forests

3 Remove options of construct troops to walk, it slows movement.

4 Control units and buildings on pause,after pause they will work.(like a Warhammer 40 000 dawn of war)

5 Unite units in the group(like a Sins of a Solar Empire)

Y U NO FOCUS ON GAMEPLAY INNOVATIONS INSTEAD OF GRAPHICS ? :fool:

Why don't you focus on gameplay innovations? I'm not asking that to be silly or anything, but to highlight the fact that different people have different skills. In other words: it's not a choice between adding one type of feature or another in a given release, but rather between adding what features the currently active developers are able to (and since we're volunteers: want) work on for the next release or not at all. And that means that given the currently active developers we've seen more development in terms of graphics than gameplay features lately. To be fair we have added gameplay features in the last couple of releases as well though :) So it's not all graphics even at this point (since we do have active developers who are skilled in that area as well).

• Stan` featured this topic