Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

As has been said elsewhere in the forums ( http://www.wildfireg...showtopic=16389 ) it's mostly a temporary effect until we have proper corral behaviour implemented. Also, the gather rate for the sheep is greater and because of that they should be a great way to gather food quickly in the beginning of the game :) (Especially since you then should have time to create new sheep etc, later in the game when you have more units to keep track of etc it's definitely easier to rely on farms/trade for your resource gathering :) )

Didnt know there were an similliar discussion allready on going :)

Will there be an alarm button for citizens?

ok

another thing ist, please teach AI that it is not a very good idea to try to chop a tree near my defense line because then the AI looses all his citziens tryin to reach that tree. I have no clue about programming an AI but it should need a rule like, if 3 or 4 Collectors alre lost tryin to gather a rescource mark Resource as no reachable.

Please dont take my critics woring - i love really love the game! :)

edit: i would love to contribute something to 0ad, so if u ever want to translate the game in German plse let me know, i would be glad to help. Or if there are some historic researches to be done, let me know, i study history and i have a good Acess to sources and Profs.

So long :)

Edited by TheProject

I've often thought it would be very nice to have a unit(s)' pathfinding route visible (like when you set a garrison point), and be able to modify it by clicking and dragging the line.

Has there ever been an RTS with this kind of thing implemented? Not a huge gamer so I would not be in the best position to know.

To change the subject, I would like to suggest some general changes to the heroes. First, there is Xenophon. In game, he is an Athenian skirmisher unit. The first problem is that he was an aristocrat and probably fought as a knight. The second problem to address is that he was hardly pro-Athenian. As a matter of fact, he actually fought with the Spartans at the battle of Coronea. He could make a hero for a scenario, but I would hardly have him be what he is at the present. I now will give a list of heroes that could possibly replace him or at least be in the Atlas editor. Alkabiades is the first. He was a competent admiral and general and was generally well liked until he was convicted and joined the Spartan cause. Miltiades, commander of the Athenian forces at Marathon. This hero could increase the pierce armor and speed of all units in his formation to simulate what happened at that battle. Phormio, an Athenian admiral who managed to beat a Spartan fleet mainly by merely circling around it which completely confounded his enemy. Thrasybylus, the man who led a army against the forces of the Thirty Tyrants, beating them. He could have an ability where the men in his formation could drive their shields into the ground and kneel behind them, causing them to also be stationary. This could seriously increase their armor from frontal assaults, but would make them extremely vulnerable at all other sides. Another option is Iphikrates, who could make peltasts and hoplites be capable of upgrading to Marines, and could make such units better in some way.

In what way is it inconsistent? I'm not saying it absolutely isn't just that I'm not sure what you're comparing it with.

Compared to selecting a unit(s) in any other way that I know of (single-clicking, double-clicking, band-boxing, control group, etc.)

Compared to selecting a unit(s) in any other way that I know of (single-clicking, double-clicking, band-boxing, control group, etc.)

Well, I would say those are two very different things. The button/hotkeys are finding-and-selecting (with the focus on finding imho) while the others are ways to select what you already have in front of you. Apart from perhaps the control groups, so for them it would make sense to have the same behaviour imho. I'm not too concerned about it either way to be honest, so I guess I'm mostly debating semantics :P

Doubleclick if you want camera to folow unit, but i totally disagree with

Well, I would say those are two very different things. The button/hotkeys are finding-and-selecting (with the focus on finding imho) while the others are ways to select what you already have in front of you.

I mean, I agree with: "The button/hotkeys are finding-and-selecting (with the focus on finding imho)" , but once u found it, and selected it, it's as any "others [] what you already have in front of you".

So I completly understand that it felt odd for zoot.

IMHO no need to follow it: it's in the middle of the screen, I know which unit I just gave orders to...

Doubleclick is a good solution though for compromizing opinions about this :)

But yeah: "perhaps the control groups, so for them it would make sense to have the same behaviour imho" (doubble click on group number having the same behavior makes sense)

EDIT: I would actually rather use doubleclick to select ALL idle settlers, makes sense too... (imo no need to follow any unit of the game: it might be nice for running around the map with a few horsemen,

but for people taking eco- and military- competence as a serious buisness, it's a completly useless feature.(ich change map view every 5 sec...))

Edited by alkazar-ipse

In Majest they had a special screen that followed whatever unit you had selected at the moment. This was incredibly helpful for me when I played the game. It would cover perhaps 400x400 pixels, although of course for 0 A.D. you could change it to whatever size you liked.

Trade cogs don't work properly

Could you please post in the bug reports sub forum with more information? What is it about them that doesn't work? Does it happen on all maps, all civs, etc, as much information as possible. And perhaps most importantly: which game version? I just tested the development version and it works fine as far as I can tell. However, due to ship movement not being finished the ships can some times end up blocking each other, perhaps that is what you mean?

Could you please post in the bug reports sub forum with more information? What is it about them that doesn't work? Does it happen on all maps, all civs, etc, as much information as possible. And perhaps most importantly: which game version? I just tested the development version and it works fine as far as I can tell. However, due to ship movement not being finished the ships can some times end up blocking each other, perhaps that is what you mean?

I can see why that would be more helpful. I will try to replicate it and post better details in the proper forum. Was with the development version a couple weeks ago. It was only one scenario and I could set the trade cog's route but it would only go to the other dock and then wait there. Would have to send it back and forth manually.

• Stan` featured this topic