Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

I noticed that the islands are not playing against the computer builds boats or docks

is the only problem I've found.

I played this game that roamed with each new vercion further enhances

- by google translator -

i suggest you to post your comments also in your native language (maybe spanish?) because Google translate isn't very good ;)

i think you want to know if AI players can play in maps with islands: sorry, but actually no

I noticed that the islands are not playing against the computer builds boats or docks

is the only problem I've found.

I played this game that roamed with each new vercion further enhances

- by google translator -

Carlos, i am almost giving up of understanding what you are wanting to say. If you speak spanish, then write in spanish (i can translate it for the others), because reading this is being a pain.

no pense que google traductor era tan malo. Disculpen

lo que quise decir fue que cuando juego contra la maquina los enemigos no salen de las islas

----

(Carlos's post): I didn't think that google translator would be that bad. Sorry. What i meant was that when i play against the machine, the enemies don't get out of their islands.

----

(Response to Carlos): Esto ocurre porque la inteligencia artificial de el juego no fue completamente desarollada, no sabe cómo construir barcos. Lo que descargaste fue la version alfa 8 del juego, que significa que el juego aún está en construcción. En poco tiempo lanzarán la version alfa 9 del juego, corrigiendo muchos defectos, pero aún sigue en desarollo.

(English Translation): This happens because the AI of the game isn't completely evolved yet, doesn't know how to build ships. What you downloaded was the eighth alpha version of the game, what means it is still under development. Soon, the 9th alpha version of the game will be released, solving many problems, but still under develpment.

I find it hard to place walls in 0 A.D. because you have to place them each individually. I have 2 ideas about placing walls one is that you place the first wall/gate then when you put the second it aligns it itself with the wall. my second idea is like in age of empires you just drag the walls and the place the gates and towers on top of the walls.

will there be any upgrades like armor and weaponry upgrades and economical upgrades?

for these upgrades I'm not suggesting anything like age of empires all the weapon and armor upgrades the same like blast furnace +2 attack.

will heroes be only available with 1 build?

Edited by Veridagorin

i think that you guys should place some epic music , i'm not saying that the existing audio files are lame but it lacks some power and some epicness it's too ambient in my taste . it should have that thing that make's you travel 2000 years ago and being in front of a 2000 soldiers

i'm not agree with you :)

i like very much the music, and i found that it's not annoying just because it isn't epic. But, maybe, a big battle could trigger a music more epic

i'm not agree with you :)

i like very much the music, and i found that it's not annoying just because it isn't epic. But, maybe, a big battle could trigger a music more epic

Having "battle music" play when there is enough fighting going on is indeed planned. Exactly how to determine what is a battle will have to be decided, as well as the code to detect it and play the music, and the music has to be created, but it is indeed planned :)

• 2 weeks later...

I really want some Roads in the game. Building a city is awesome but there are no roads! Also big buildings are very pretty don't change them!

Statues and more decorating items should be available. Also i'm having trouble rotating buildings while placing them. It is really hard to place them the way i want them to. Placing city walls is also hard. Walls and wall connectors should be in one slot. And once again please change the way to rotate buildings!!!

I really want some Roads in the game. Building a city is awesome but there are no roads! Also big buildings are very pretty don't change them!

Statues and more decorating items should be available. Also i'm having trouble rotating buildings while placing them. It is really hard to place them the way i want them to. Placing city walls is also hard. Walls and wall connectors should be in one slot. And once again please change the way to rotate buildings!!!

Use the [ and ] keys for fine-tuning the rotation of buildings.

Use the [ and ] keys for fine-tuning the rotation of buildings.

Maybe it could be added a two-click mode for buildings: the first click selects the place, then moving the mouse you can rotate it and the second click make the building start.

Maybe it could be added a two-click mode for buildings: the first click selects the place, then moving the mouse you can rotate it and the second click make the building start.

That's basically how it's done now. Just that you don't click twice but rather click-and-hold and rotate the mouse until you get the building the way you want it.

A two click mode makes the standard case more difficult. I am strongly opposed to the idea.

Indeed. The player rarely actually needs to rotate the buildings in-game, so adding an additional click is redundant for most cases. The only reason to add a double-click method is to make the current walls work, and that's an issue that will go away once we implement a real wall system, so there's no real need to add the double-click method.

Some types of infinite supply are very realistic. Like farms which produce food pretty much forever if you manage them correctly. Similarly trade is effectively infinite, new trees grow, metal mines have years worth of resources. The game generally has a confused timescale, since in real life training soldiers would take large amounts of time, of course we are missing children etc. It is just not possible to make a fun rts with realism imposed for these things (at least there has never been an rts which comes close).

Infinite resources with too rapid a gather rate are generally bad because they break gameplay balance. I don't see the problem with slower infinite resources.

The thing with infinite resources is that they lead to a more aggressive tactics and involve less strategy. If you know you've got resources to build another army straight away you can just throw waves at the enemy. Finite resources might lead to a player being too cautious and defensive if there's not enough resource in the pile, but it makes them more likely to think strategically about what they're doing. Finite resources, with a decent amount per source would be the best way to go I think, a kind of a balance between the Age of Empires system (which often ran out too quick imo) and Empire Earth (basically infinite except for wood).

A two click mode makes the standard case more difficult. I am strongly opposed to the idea.

Me too.

Perhaps something like that could become an option in a player setup later in development.

I think some things like setting default stances and formations require some sort of player setup anyway.

The main issue is with wall placement. There will be a new wall placement system in the future, so it will be all good. :)

I am so glad to hear this, you have no idea. One question though... In several screenshots I have seen units that appear to be ON wall segments. Is that going to be possible? What are you guys thinking about the "siege" aspect of the game like placing units on the walls and eventually fighting on them?This is something I have always missed when it comes to the classics like Age of Empires, Age of Mythology, etc. Edited by Metallistic

I am so glad to hear this, you have no idea. One question though... In several screenshots I have seen units that appear to be ON wall segments. Is that going to be possible? What are you guys thinking about the "siege" aspect of the game like placing units on the walls and eventually fighting on them?This is something I have always missed when it comes to the classics like Age of Empires, Age of Mythology, etc.

For Phase 1 this is unlikely, it is one of the lower priority things. After Phase 1 is completed the goals will probably be reevaluated for Phase 2. From my point of view I would like to see more "battle simulation" type of features implemented, note this is a personal view not a team decision. also I think is in the original design so has a good chance of being done. This will be a significant time into the future though and is unlikely to be decided until then.

while we're on the subject, i noticed that the earthen fortifications that the celts have their (for want of a better word) ramps that run right down to the ground. will units be able to stand on those? cuz this has more justification than (for example) climbing a ladder or rope or what have you

personally, ive thought that the best way to make units stand on walls would be to have walls capable of garrisoning units, perhaps according to how long the wall is (i noticed in the editor that there's short, medium, and long walls). for example, a short wall could perhaps hold only one unit, a medium wall two, and a long wall three. technically, this would be unrealistic since, logically speaking, at least a dozen troops could fit on a single segment of wall, but it IS a video game after all ;)

when it gets to that, id also personally recommend that units that are on walls can be hurt by attacking the wall with ranged units, receiving what is essentially splash damage, and that (appropriately), units that are standing on a wall should die instantly when the wall is destroyed. there could maybe even be a flailing animation for when they fall

also, sort of related, there should be a wilhelm scream somewhere in the game as a sound effect, just for the humor factor ;) maybe it could go to hero #3 for each civ (if that hero is male)

" 6) Some buildings are really big. There's no need to be "real sized" (I also mean 99% the original size... uh)"

Good. I wish they were 1 to 1. I'm happy with how they are now but if they were real size that would be even better.

If you want to fight about this: time and place.

• Stan` featured this topic