Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

Some points I would really like and that haven't been implemented. I don't know if they have been proposed in the past.

-see how many citizens are on each resource and how many are idle. also beeing able to quickly select a random one on that resource.

if this is not making sense to you, I'm thinking of aoe3 at the moment where you have a button which has as text the amount of viligers on a specific resource. if you press it you automatically select one random viliger from that resource.

-A technologie tree (been suggested) which also includes military shipments. If you have played aoe3 in the past you'll have to agree that the decks with homecity shipments made for interesting gameplay. that way you could be at points where you'd either go for an eco upgrade or a pretty good military shipments.

This would allow for very agressive early attacks or an extremely good eco making you have to scout to anticipate what he's doing with his techno tree.

-hunting. In aoe you have hordes of for example bizons. if you shoot one of them they all run in the same direction you've shot at. if you shoot again after 12 seconds they repeat the process. This way you can get a lot of food/animals near your town center if you play smart and if you micro-manage your hunters.

-beeing able to place resource dropoff points outside your claimed teritory. This way uncautious players would send their viligers more in the wild even more vulnerable to raids.

-hunting. In aoe you have hordes of for example bizons. if you shoot one of them they all run in the same direction you've shot at. if you shoot again after 12 seconds they repeat the process. This way you can get a lot of food/animals near your town center if you play smart and if you micro-manage your hunters.

-beeing able to place resource dropoff points outside your claimed teritory. This way uncautious players would send their viligers more in the wild even more vulnerable to raids.

Hunting: Animals run from your units, so it should work already. Just send your troops from the other side surrounding them from all directions but the direction of your city center and move closer. It's a lot of micromanagement for sure, but it should work =)

Resource dropoff points outside territories: Not likely. We are most likely going to include a non-territory mode though, so you could play that if you don't want things as concentrated in that sense.

Hunting: Animals run from your units, so it should work already. Just send your troops from the other side surrounding them from all directions but the direction of your city center and move closer. It's a lot of micromanagement for sure, but it should work =)

yes, that works. but it isn't worth it. you don't get something for your hard efforts. imho this could be improved by not letting them run away from units but from arrows/dead animals. and have animals more in groups. This would reward more experienced players whilst giving a funny twist to the game

I have played this game for 2 days right now and a couple of things I noticed:

-see how many players are on which resource is really needed

-the game is not really balanced in the sense that the bot makes a lot of female citizens yet in reality the military disadvantage of females is way to big compared to the economic advantage. It would be great if overall food prices go up so the importance of females becomes higher. A vulnerable economy (food) makes for interesting game play as you are able to raid the enemy economy and you have to make some defense. Right now you can just garrison and survive for 5 minutes with the excess of food you gathered giving you time to easily counter their attack.

-will there ever be a better walling system implemented like in aoe3?

-you can make a que (first go here, then go there, then go there) but if one of your commands is "gather" or "build" it gets priority. This is really annoying as you can't task villagers to build some buildings and go on a resource you task them to. I don't know if this is a bug or not but I think it could really be improved

-you never get notified if you get attacked. It certainly gets the rage factor up if it takes you 10 minutes to figure out what happens to your 50 workers :P. Maybe some alert could be added?

-you should automatically lose when all your villagers are killed. I have came to a point where I raided every villager from qbot and killed every new one he spawned. after some time he was out of resources and I had to player for another 5 minutes to find all his town centers and destroy them while he was unable to do anything :P

I'm really enjoying the game so far, keep up the great work =D

Bugs

- trigger a sound alarm when my faction is under attack, even if it's Gaia attaking me. The location of the attack should also be displayed on the map

- if i have 10 archers, and due to battles 3 of them get upgraded, i'm no more able to select all of them by diuble clicking one

- when a unit garrisons a builind, it gets istantly 100% of life (it heals istantly)

Ideas

- some war units can also work, let's say that they are mining with some civilian units.... when an attack occourse, it's hard to select the civilians and send them in a safe building, then select war units and set them to counterattack... it would be great to have the city alarm system (bell alarm) like in AOE2... or even something more sophisticated like the ability to create a defense plan

- would be nice to be able to train basic units to get upgraded... something like a special building that if you put those units inside they get upgraded after certain time

Edited by nu111

It seems that most players haven't found Random map option in game setup page. How about making Random Maps the default option?

Then most players wouldn't find the non-random map option in the game setup page, so you've just shifted the problem :). Need to work out how to design the map selection UI so that players are aware of all the important options.

Bugs

- trigger a sound alarm when my faction is under attack, even if it's Gaia attaking me. The location of the attack should also be displayed on the map

- if i have 10 archers, and due to battles 3 of them get upgraded, i'm no more able to select all of them by diuble clicking one

- when a unit garrisons a builind, it gets istantly 100% of life (it heals istantly)

Ideas

- some war units can also work, let's say that they are mining with some civilian units.... when an attack occourse, it's hard to select the civilians and send them in a safe building, then select war units and set them to counterattack... it would be great to have the city alarm system (bell alarm) like in AOE2... or even something more sophisticated like the ability to create a defense plan

- would be nice to be able to train basic units to get upgraded... something like a special building that if you put those units inside they get upgraded after certain time

At attack warning will be implemented at some point. Double click not selecting units of different ranks is a feature which there has been some debate over in the past. Currently use triple click to select all units of one type. I have created #1098 for the garrisoning bug.

A town bell is planned, but I don't know what will happen to citizen soldiers for this. To have customizable defence plans sounds complicated and is unlikely to be implemented, a limited selection of presets might be an option e.g. ignore the bell, start fighting, garrison. With the newly implemented military select (hold Alt which dragging a selection box) doing it manually should be a bit easier for now as well (currently in svn).

Then most players wouldn't find the non-random map option in the game setup page, so you've just shifted the problem :). Need to work out how to design the map selection UI so that players are aware of all the important options.

They know that they existed before. And with a little search they'd find how to change between scenario and random maps.

They know that they existed before. And with a little search they'd find how to change between scenario and random maps.

What about new players? :P Perhaps have the map types as tabs? That way you'd have both options visible, while at the same time allow for the GUI to be non-cluttered/different from the one to the other.

This is about readability.

There is something that I don't really care reading about (partly because they are too spreadsheet-like compared to the overall simplicity of the game figures), It's unit's damage and resistance. Still, I did notice they appear to be percentage values adding up to 100. Therefore, I think it might be an improvement to show these values as a coloured bar instead of numbers. For instance, hacks 50% slash 25% piercing 25& would be shown as a single colour bar, half orange, 1 quarter red, 1 quarter yellow. Choose a colour scheme, explain it somewhere, and it becomes easier to read as a whole, with very little practice.

Another useful thing would be to indicate how much garrisoning a building or ship or siege engine can accept. In its own description, so that we don't need to select a menu to check that value. Maybe you don't notice such details because you know your game stats very well, but the need will become more obvious when the game expands and when thousands of mods will be produced every day.

Perhaps have the map types as tabs? That way you'd have both options visible, while at the same time allow for the GUI to be non-cluttered/different from the one to the other.

Sounds like a plan, so Random maps are more visible even if they aren't as high quality as Scenario maps.

At attack warning will be implemented at some point. Double click not selecting units of different ranks is a feature which there has been some debate over in the past. Currently use triple click to select all units of one type. I have created #1098 for the garrisoning bug.

A town bell is planned, but I don't know what will happen to citizen soldiers for this. To have customizable defence plans sounds complicated and is unlikely to be implemented, a limited selection of presets might be an option e.g. ignore the bell, start fighting, garrison. With the newly implemented military select (hold Alt which dragging a selection box) doing it manually should be a bit easier for now as well (currently in svn).

What would be more realistic is that soldier-gatherers only turn from 'villager' into soldier when you ring the town bell ( at your CC). Females gather inside buildings and males get their weapons and armour from nearby buildings.

Consequences: enemy raids can be devastating when you dont have lookouts or when all your soldiers are hard at work and far from their base... To me that sounds realistic. I mean: a Roman soldier wore lots of armour pieces and weapons : arming/disarming takes time..

How about two types of town bell which the first one (Civilian town bell) would make women garrison to the nearest building and another one (Military) to stop citizen-soldiers from gathering resources? It is hard for me to select Military units when women are all rushing towards my civ-center.

Guest afeder

How about two types of town bell which the first one (Civilian town bell) would make women garrison to the nearest building and another one (Military) to stop citizen-soldiers from gathering resources? It is hard for me to select Military units when women are all rushing towards my civ-center.

It just needs more town bell! Seriously though, this sounds like a hotkey issue.

perhaps it can be that all citizen-soldiers and female citizens head for the nearest civic center/tower/whathaveyou. however, citizen-soldiers are ejected from the building theyve run into at the sound of the town bell after theyve reached full health (if the buildings are like they were in AOK, garrisoned units will regenerate faster, right?). units that've been injured will stay in the building until theyre all healed up and then take up arms to join the fight, while any that are already at full health will be ejected immediately. this could also potentially be useful by letting the women and injured take up space in the garrison instead of the healthy fighters

perhaps it can be that all citizen-soldiers and female citizens head for the nearest civic center/tower/whathaveyou. however, citizen-soldiers are ejected from the building theyve run into at the sound of the town bell after theyve reached full health (if the buildings are like they were in AOK, garrisoned units will regenerate faster, right?). units that've been injured will stay in the building until theyre all healed up and then take up arms to join the fight, while any that are already at full health will be ejected immediately. this could also potentially be useful by letting the women and injured take up space in the garrison instead of the healthy fighters

No, I would really hate seeing my units randomly popping out of buildings. The only way to win battles is with more units, not a few fully healed units. I vote for letting citizen-soldiers go to the nearest building but not enter. That way they defend the female citizens who are trying to get to the nearest buildings and when they reach it they are ready to fight.

• Stan` featured this topic