Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

About the Persian Stables (now new in the public SVN). Is this going to be a new "regular structure", e.g. will the Hellenes, Celts etc. all get a Stable of their own - or is this a specific Persian structure?

As far as I understand they are unique to Persians, at least currently only Persians have stable in Design Document.

How would stables differ from corrals? Is it horses vs. other livestock?

Stable is military structure which trains cavalry, corral is economical and aimed for generating food somehow (as far as I remember initial plan was to 'garrison' herd animals there and they should slowly generate food, but currently you can 'train' them in corral and kill for food as regular animals).

The Stable is only for the Persians, its purpose (design purpose I mean, it's gameplay purpose is as Alexander said to train cavalry units, and eventually research cavalry technologies) (and I'm quoting Michael who came up with the idea and who's better at explaining it anyway): "would be to emphasize the Persian proclivity for Cavalry the same way we emphasize ethnic mercenaries and naval prowess for the Carthaginians".

initial plan was to 'garrison' herd animals there and they should slowly generate food, but currently you can 'train' them in corral and kill for food as regular animals).

Ah, like the Animal Nursery from Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds, something I wish they would have implemented in Age of Empires II.

Edited by Zeta1127

i have two requests for the camera control :P

1) could it be possible to have a more cinematic zoom for the camera?

Let me explain: now when you zoom in or zoom out, the camera angle with the ground remains constant. I'd like to change this angle during the zoom, setting two steps (initial and final) or three steps (inital, middle, final) for the angle. For example, one could set the final angle (max zoom in) to a lower value, to have a wide view of the horizon.

2) now when you zoom in, the camera zooms toward the center of the screen, even if the mouse pointer is not centered. I'd like to have a zoom that follow the position of the mouse pointer, like google maps

sounds like a good idea to me, too, ribez. i remember that Empire Earth had a similar zoom function where you could toggle between three different zoom modes (with the F2 button, iirc): iirc, the first and default zoom mode lowered you to the ground about halfway, and then on the remaining half turned the camera so that it looked like you were on the ground. it let you feel like you were right in the midst of a battle :) i think the second zoom mode was called "epic zoom" which allowing you to zoom straight back or forward from a locked angle (ex: if you zoomed in with the default so that you were on the ground and then switched to epic zoom, it would allow you to zoom out from the point you were currently at); the last one was called "isometric zoom" iirc which was just a straight zoom from sky to ground without changing the angle. such zoom modes would also make it easier to showcase the graphics and features of 0ad

It's strange that the deciduous bushes actually give wood when "harvested" (with axes!), they are bushes after all. So perhaps it would be more realistic if the bushes won't give any wood at all but the player still have to "harvest" it to clear ground for buildings or farms.

The bushes are shown in the screenshot below with citizens harvesting them.

9OEcS.jpg

Edited by hhyloc

sounds like a good idea to me, too, ribez. i remember that Empire Earth had a similar zoom function where you could toggle between three different zoom modes (with the F2 button, iirc): iirc, the first and default zoom mode lowered you to the ground about halfway, and then on the remaining half turned the camera so that it looked like you were on the ground. it let you feel like you were right in the midst of a battle :) i think the second zoom mode was called "epic zoom" which allowing you to zoom straight back or forward from a locked angle (ex: if you zoomed in with the default so that you were on the ground and then switched to epic zoom, it would allow you to zoom out from the point you were currently at); the last one was called "isometric zoom" iirc which was just a straight zoom from sky to ground without changing the angle. such zoom modes would also make it easier to showcase the graphics and features of 0ad

maybe the ground view is not very useful, but it would be very cool, when skies will be implemented :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys !

In first time, I want to congratulate you about the game, it's very amazing !

Are you interested by a French translation ? I can do this but I just need how to do it (a config language file ?).

Hi! I believe the WFG team is interested in translations of languages, but right now the game is still under heavy development so many in-game texts are still subject to change so perhaps you should wait for a while :) . I'm sure that they'll announce it when the game is completed and the texts are ready to be translate to other languages.

Edited by hhyloc

an idea occurred to me last night: what if you and other players could give units to one another? it could work well as a pre-programmed aspect of the game for the campaign modes and scenario design and be useful in multiplayer games, so that if one player is going to lose soon or has to leave for RL purposes, they can just cede all of their units (and possibly buildings) to their ally, or even to one of their enemies if they want a different enemy to lose. it could also be useful in multiplayer situations in which one player has been having alot of trouble playing, so their better-off ally gives them some of their units as well as some resources through tribute so that they can rebuild their base closer to their ally for protection

an idea occurred to me last night: what if you and other players could give units to one another? it could work well as a pre-programmed aspect of the game for the campaign modes and scenario design and be useful in multiplayer games, so that if one player is going to lose soon or has to leave for RL purposes, they can just cede all of their units (and possibly buildings) to their ally, or even to one of their enemies if they want a different enemy to lose. it could also be useful in multiplayer situations in which one player has been having alot of trouble playing, so their better-off ally gives them some of their units as well as some resources through tribute so that they can rebuild their base closer to their ally for protection

I think this is a planned feature: clicky ;)

hey guys, - don't wanted to start a new topic, so i'll start the little discussion here:

it's about the size of the maps,

do you think the maps could get bigger? due to the territory-function and therefore with need of controlling areas of a map (expanding) i think it would make up a great experience if the maps are maybe 1.5x as big as the now available biggest maps.

plus it has not to be the standard (it would be nevertheless an option for guys with fast computers anyways) and even if it would elongate the duration of a match i think it would be still an interesting feature (superhuge-maps) for some players (me for example)

and - it would not be that problematic to implement, since it's merely an addition of size ( AxA instead of axa) - am i right here?

and yeah, i know the game is currently getting very low in performance whith already medium maps and more than 2 players - but these performance-problems will be solved in about 1 year i think.

what do you think?

just my 2 cents,

regards

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but regarding infantry 'converting' buildings instead of destroying them:

- What if you need a hero unit to convert an enemy Civic Centre or Castle

- If you right click on of these buildings with an ordinary soldier, he will loot one random type of resource for his maximum capasity and then beeline home to drop off? This would open up for more tactical possibilities if an early attack (before city walls) proves disfavourable, and a retreat must be made.

Edited by Alpha of the Eagles

- If you right click on of these buildings with an ordinary soldier, he will loot one random type of resource for his maximum capasity and then beeline home to drop off? This would open up for more tactical possibilities if an early attack (before city walls) proves disfavourable, and a retreat must be made.

I like the concept. Raiding your enemies supplies should be a viable tactic. It would also add a little more strategy to the early stages of the game.

Has resource raiding been done in another RTS before?

Edited by Aurora Paradox

• Stan` featured this topic