Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

I see no problem with saying 0 A.D. over 0 C.E. I think that it is somewhat immature for historians to try to divert the dating system from when Jesus was born to attempting to make the B.C. years seem more uncommon than the A.D. years.

I think "Common Era" is meant to include people of other faiths, yet still keep the Christ-centered dating system. Regardless, it will stay '0 A.D.' for our game. ;)

I'm a big fan of the Settlers style of game play.

The concept of having to move resources to buildings to continue their construction intrigues me. I imagine trying to build a military operation base on the other side of the map, trying to move the resources over there, only to have the other team rob you and take them for themselves.

In the vision of keeping this game real/fun, would this be a viable option?

I'm a big fan of the Settlers style of game play.

The concept of having to move resources to buildings to continue their construction intrigues me. I imagine trying to build a military operation base on the other side of the map, trying to move the resources over there, only to have the other team rob you and take them for themselves.

In the vision of keeping this game real/fun, would this be a viable option?

here's one way this could work.

when you collect resources, these are put in a "warehouse" type building. the civ center is a warehouse, and there could also be a second smaller building which serves this role. the resources you collect are all available from these buildings, and there is no need to distribute it yourself.

then, when you build a building, the workers automatically start going to the nearest warehouse to collect the necessary resources. If only 1 unit is working on a building, they will both construct and collect, switching between the tasks. if you assign 2 or more workers, some will build and some will collect, dividing the tasks as necessary.

when the tech tree is implemented, one tech tree would allow workers collecting resources to use a horse and cart, so they can collect more resources at a quicker rate, leaving more of the villagers to work on construction.

here's one way this could work.

when you collect resources, these are put in a "warehouse" type building. the civ center is a warehouse, and there could also be a second smaller building which serves this role. the resources you collect are all available from these buildings, and there is no need to distribute it yourself.

then, when you build a building, the workers automatically start going to the nearest warehouse to collect the necessary resources. If only 1 unit is working on a building, they will both construct and collect, switching between the tasks. if you assign 2 or more workers, some will build and some will collect, dividing the tasks as necessary.

when the tech tree is implemented, one tech tree would allow workers collecting resources to use a horse and cart, so they can collect more resources at a quicker rate, leaving more of the villagers to work on construction.

Not a horrible idea. Just wondering how this would make the game more fun. Keep in mind we have yet to implement a bunch of other things, like micro-heavy naval battles, formation bonuses, charging and running, and lots of other details. Settler games have some micro, but they are very maco-heavy game designs, in contrast to 0 A.D. which is a mico-heavy RTS akin to Age of Kings. Also keep in mind the fact that the more pathfinding required for workers to do their thing takes away from pathfinding we could use for battles.

id suggest holding off settler modes until the second pack; not only is it pretty much an unnecessary game mode to the overall goal of making the first part of the game, but it would also fit in really well with the nomadic civs that are potentially planned for the second pack

I still have 'The Settlers II', and i play it sometimes. I like the (economic) pathfinding and resource shuttling system of the game, but the military aspect of the game sucks. Besides that, i've already thought of bringing that style into an RTS like 0 A.D., but it would take some more advances in the concept of an RTS to make it fit with the military emphasizing style of our game. I think of 0 A.D. as some kind of experiment for evolving the RTS game style, i'm watching very carefully what i like and what i don't in 0 A.D. for the day i'll create my own RTS (wich of course i plan to be open source too) in a far future.

Idea : Can we disable scrolling the screen while using the selection box? That way when trying to select all of the units presently on the screen, the view doesn't suddenly veer off to the side causing you to have to go back and try to select them again, and again, and again..... I usually have this problem because I'm trying to get say, all of my workers while they're all running back and forth so I can't just triple click on one without it moving before I've finished the action.

Idea : Can we disable scrolling the screen while using the selection box? That way when trying to select all of the units presently on the screen, the view doesn't suddenly veer off to the side causing you to have to go back and try to select them again, and again, and again..... I usually have this problem because I'm trying to get say, all of my workers while they're all running back and forth so I can't just triple click on one without it moving before I've finished the action.

Sounds like a reasonable request. We'd have to test and see if it doesn't create more problems than it solves, of course. Come to think of it, how did Age of Kings handle this?

Sounds like a reasonable request. We'd have to test and see if it doesn't create more problems than it solves, of course. Come to think of it, how did Age of Kings handle this?

I think some games (not sure about AoK) keep the selection box where it is on the map, even when you scroll, making it possible to select more than a screen's worth.

I think some games (not sure about AoK) keep the selection box where it is on the map, even when you scroll, making it possible to select more than a screen's worth.

That's what would ideally happen - especially when you're dealing with moving objects that may move off screen.

May have to tone down the scrolling speed then tho, right now it's like you're looking at one side of the map and then you hit the screen edge and poof, you're looking at the other side of the map. We don't have the options panel working right now so I don't think there's any way to change that without editing something.

May have to tone down the scrolling speed then tho, right now it's like you're looking at one side of the map and then you hit the screen edge and poof, you're looking at the other side of the map. We don't have the options panel working right now so I don't think there's any way to change that without editing something.

I know, for sure, that in AoE 1 the scrolling is disabled while selection box is being dragged.

In AoK, AoM, Warcraft 3 and others of the genre, i think the scrolling is delayed for about 1 or 2 seconds and the scrolling speed lessens while the selection box is being dragged.

dont really know if this is in the game already

but if it isnt i have a suggestion

in the first age of empires, grouping was somewhat easy

here is what i mean

By selecting multiple units, then clicking group, you would make it so that by clicking any one of those units, you the entire group. there was also an ungroup option

very nice, very easy to do

the alternative was limited to 9 groups, and was hotkeyed.

today, i read that roman centurions and heroes will have the ability to convert enemy units...

as they are the only units in the game (as far as i know) with this ability, i would claim a little balancing-problem?! maybe only the roman heroes should be able to do this and there ought to be a long time of recovery to do the next conversion (approx. 2 minutes?!)

and another question: hopefully the allowed number of each hero will be drastically reduced (why fight with 10 leonidas?) maybe to 3 or so...

... just some thoughts.

thx

today, i read that roman centurions and heroes will have the ability to convert enemy units...

as they are the only units in the game (as far as i know) with this ability, i would claim a little balancing-problem?!

Provide a link please. :)
hopefully the allowed number of each hero will be drastically reduced (why fight with 10 leonidas?) maybe to 3 or so...
Eventually we'll have it so that you can only train 1 Leonidas in the game.

http://www.wildfiregames.com/0ad/page.php?p=6361

Quote:

n 0 AD the Romans have many bonuses to match to their historic strengths. These bonuses are:

Powerful Infantry: The Roman infantry was the best in the ancient world; to match this the Roman infantry are stronger them most.

Citizenship: The Romans valued their citizenship highly, and did not take an attack on citizens lightly. Therefore Roman citizen soldier units gain a bonus while fighting in Roman territory.

Mighty siege machines: The Romans were the best when it came to siege. To reflect this their siege units are the best in the game

Divide et Impera: "Divide and Conquer" is the most famous principle of Roman foreign strategy. Because of this Roman heroes and centurions can convert enemy units.

What is not mentioned there, but is mentioned in the Design Document (DD) here: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Civ%3A_Romans_PreImp#SPECIALTECHNOLOGIES is that it will be associated with a large cost. That + it being the only Roman technology (at least as the DD is now, testing might prove it to be too powerful or too weak if the cost is too high etc, so testing will have to prove exactly what will be done) should hopefully balance it out.

Yeah, I'd imagine....

-- The Tech itself, Divide et Impera, would cost a lot of resources to research.

-- Each use of the ability costs a lot of Metal resource.

-- Each use would require a cool-down time.

So, there are easy ways to balance this. Also, it is worth nothing that Part 1 has no Centurions. lol

you're right guys. can't wait anyways ;)

• Stan` featured this topic