Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

However, the thing that should be changed is that they get 100% Health again when promoted. IMHO, they should only get the difference in Health between the two Ranks. So, if Rank A has 80/100 Health when promoted, and Rank B has a new max health of 120, there is a 20 health difference, so when promoted they get 20 Health back but not the full 100% health. They would start the next rank at 100/120, not 120/120.

What if unit has 10/100 health before promotion and promoted unit has max health 80 ?) Also if unit has 10/100 and promoted unit has 200 health max, there will be 110/200 after promotion and in my opinion this is not so obvious why unit had almost 0 health and become about half health after promotion.

I think it is better to set the same percent of health for promoted unit, so health bar will show the same position.

So for my examples there will be 10/100 -> 8/80 and 10/100 -> 20/200 correspondingly.

What if unit has 10/100 health before promotion and promoted unit has max health 80 ?) Also if unit has 10/100 and promoted unit has 200 health max, there will be 110/200 after promotion and in my opinion this is not so obvious why unit had almost 0 health and become about half health after promotion.

I think it is better to set the same percent of health for promoted unit, so health bar will show the same position.

So for my examples there will be 10/100 -> 8/80 and 10/100 -> 20/200 correspondingly.

There really is no instance where the next rank has fewer max health points than the lower rank, but I suppose it's possible. A percentage works better in any case. Anything is better than the current way of gaining 100% of health back. Philip and I have imagined scenarios where a bunch of basic ranked dudes could pwn a bunch of elite ranked dudes just because the basic ranked guys keep getting 100% health boosts over the course of the battle, while the elites are already maxed out.

There really is no instance where the next rank has fewer max health points than the lower rank, but I suppose it's possible. A percentage works better in any case. Anything is better than the current way of gaining 100% of health back. Philip and I have imagined scenarios where a bunch of basic ranked dudes could pwn a bunch of elite ranked dudes just because the basic ranked guys keep getting 100% health boosts over the course of the battle, while the elites are already maxed out.

Revision 9984 waits for your testing.

So far I really like the graphical style.

It has enough detail to see what there is and the system requirements seem reasonable.

For later stages, please make everything very stable so it doesn't crash or anything.

When the game is finished I would like to be able to save games and load them.

Also when doing multi-player games. The names (and maybe other identifiers) of the players could be stored also to set them back on the right place.

Once had a game that didn't do that, we could load that saved game but ended up in the wrong place.

A random map generator would come in very handy, especially for mod makers, with the ability to save the generated map.

Also, and I know this isn't going to be soon, would like to have a hero mode such in RaF:CaW.

It was kick-@#$% fantastic but many features that where promised, that would have made it even more fun, weren't implemented.

If people don't like it, maker it configurable so it can be enabled or disabled by the person who sets it up.

When the game is finished I would like to be able to save games and load them.

Also when doing multi-player games. The names (and maybe other identifiers) of the players could be stored also to set them back on the right place.

Once had a game that didn't do that, we could load that saved game but ended up in the wrong place.

A random map generator would come in very handy, especially for mod makers, with the ability to save the generated map.

Also, and I know this isn't going to be soon, would like to have a hero mode such in RaF:CaW.

It was kick-@#$% fantastic but many features that where promised, that would have made it even more fun, weren't implemented.

If people don't like it, maker it configurable so it can be enabled or disabled by the person who sets it up.

Save/load games will come, we've postponed it in favor of implementing gameplay features. Not much use saving the game if it isn't fun enough to continue playing ;) But it will come, don't worry.

Random map exists already, and is integrated in Atlas (our scenario editor) so you can start with a randomly generated map and then continue with your own edits to make the map your own :) (You can also save the map from within Atlas.)

A hero mode is not likely, the main reason (apart from the amount of work needed and that it's not part of the planned design) is that the buildings and other graphics aren't designed to be seen from a first-person view.

I finally got around to playing my first actual game using the current Alpha version and I was impressed. Even in Alpha form this game shows more promise then some games being made by major development studios. The finished product will certainly be worth waiting for. I do have one suggestion though.

When the AI first attacked I looked for the garrison bell. In Age of Empires, the garrison bell calls all non-military units back to the town center or guard tower for shelter. Once inside they could defend whatever structure they occupied. I did eventually realize that you could manually garrison non-military units but doing so felt cumbersome. It also took my attention away from destroying the enemy attack force.

Would adding a similar feature to 0 A.D. be possible or would it cause too much feature creep?

Edited by Aurora Paradox

Oh sorry, thanks :)

Edit: yeah that's the way it looks, how do I fix it? Oh and I see that it's also a problem with intel's as well it seems. Well my computer is an Acer Aspire 4315 (default no new additions) and im on ubuntu 11.04. I hope that this will be fixed soon. thank you for your time

Edited by NOXAS1

another suggestion from me... i think units that are tasked to repair something should automatically proceed to the next damaged building/thing when the repairs are finished. that would be the same system as for units that build stuff; they move from construction site to construction site. this would reduce unnecessary micro management, especially when it comes to repairing walls, which was very tedious in the Age series as it had to be done segment by segment.

Another thing I'd like to see is a way to "train" units, so that you don't have to rely entirely on combat to promote them. Maybe give the Barracks an aura, which makes CS units accumulate experience over time at a slow rate. (should be MUCH slower than experience gain through combat)

Arenas!

Suggestion: Romans should be better at it, but with chance of losing a bit health in addition of stamina for training.

Arenas!

Suggestion: Romans should be better at it, but with chance of losing a bit health in addition of stamina for training.

I'd like to add my thoughts on your suggestion. Sending your unit to train into the Arena should come with the risk of death to the unit. After all, warriors did die during battles that were held in the Colosseum. Perhaps there could be levels of training. Something along the lines of the higher the level the greater the experience. However each level would be more risky than the next.

I'm curious as to whether the game engine could support this.

Edited by Aurora Paradox

I like to add my thoughts on suggestion. Sending your unit to train into the Arena should come with the risk of death to the unit. After all, warriors did die during battles that were held in the Colosseum. Perhaps there could be levels of training. Something along the lines of the higher the level the greater the experience. However each level would be more risky than the next.

I'm curious as to whether the game engine could support this.

The original idea for the Greek Gymnasion was to give a speed bonus to units if you garrisoned them inside. We decided that was kind of a weird and micro-heavy "bonus" for that building for such a dubious benefit. But an "arena" or military boot camp (which the Romans had) where you send your Basic units to be auto-trained to Advanced level might be interesting.

I don't think the Legions trained in the Colosseum. I also don't think that Gladiators were as popular during the Republican times than in the Empire.

I was speaking of a commonplace way to level your units peacefully (for all factions, except maybe the two "Barabarian" ones), and not about a specialilty for Romans.

EDIT:

well didnt alot of civilizations in antiquity have something like this? dont you think it may be interesting if a new standard building is set up instead which is available to civs which historically had "academies" like that?

A new standard building might be overkill if we have the Barracks aviable which is yet spec'd to have no aura effect which can be used as I propose.

Edited by SMST

The original idea for the Greek Gymnasion was to give a speed bonus to units if you garrisoned them inside. We decided that was kind of a weird and micro-heavy "bonus" for that building for such a dubious benefit. But an "arena" or military boot camp (which the Romans had) where you send your Basic units to be auto-trained to Advanced level might be interesting.

well didnt alot of civilizations in antiquity have something like this? dont you think it may be interesting if a new standard building is set up instead which is available to civs which historically had "academies" like that?

But an "arena" or military boot camp (which the Romans had) where you send your Basic units to be auto-trained to Advanced level might be interesting.

This was kind of what I meant, but they should not attain highest level possible. Just a sort of macromanaging possibility making them a bit better warriors (for offensive players), but poorer at harvesting. They cannot go toe-to-toe with a veteran and win however. Just takes shorter time to attain veteran status, or something along those lines.

• Stan` featured this topic