Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

ok so for the most part we keep going back to ideas for new factions for a possible expansiom or patches

so to recap into one helpful list for the very busy and caring directors and developers and the community

Ideas

-Gauls

-Britons

-anglo/saxons

-Very Early Spanish

-other Germaninc tribes

-China

-Japan

-India

-Jews/Hebrew/Judea

-Mongolia(huns)

-Epypt

-Late Rome

ok and a few new interesting features for a possible expansion or patches

Ideas

-flooding rivers

-units on walls

-capture buildings/units

-stealth in forest and enviroments

-units do not have health or hit count but instead die in one fatal hit(realistic ancient warfare, makes tactical planning a must but may need new animations for units in combat)

-unit formations(thats probaly already in the game though)

-fog of war

-terrace farming(goes with mountainous maps)

lastly new map ideas

Ideas

-Asian maps

-mountainous maps(goes with terrace farming)

-jungle like maps

-desert maps

-steppe maps

-and of course one huge map for each earth enviroment that has both all sea and land features

hope this helped everyone

Edited by UberSauce

what i would personally like would be one huge, huge, HUGE map that realistically recreates the world. ideally, there would also be certain teleport functions for this map (and possibly others) to give the illusion of a round world by making units teleport from one side of the map to the other (but only on the eastern/left and western/right edges ofthe map) so that, if an army is based in eastern asia, it doesnt have to move the entire length of the map in order to attack north america

You mean a RISK like map? That would be really great, but it would best fit in a game like Empire Earth or Civilisation (yeah not an RTS), where you have actually the whole world.

For 0 A.D., a huge map of the ancient world (Mediterranean, Britain&Gaul, Persia) with each civilisation in the proper starting positions would be fitting.

well the ancient world, too, but i think that an entire world map would be fun, too. know that im also making these suggestions with my mythology and modern mods in mind, and those represent a far broader version of humanity than the currently 6-12 civilizations that will be in 0ad, literally covering every continent except antarctica (and technically south america, but im counting that as an aztec region for the mythology mod and theyre represented by brazil for the modern one). at the least, a map of the old world and australia would be good

oh! you know what else would be good? recreations of famous large cities and towns for urban warfare-type games, like a pretty much exact recreation of rome (though maybe it would have to be based on the modern city for the roads; how much do we really know about the layout of the ancient city itself?) or london or constantinople or alexandria or athens. there would be a neutral "gaia" player for the city itself and there wouldnt be many places where you could build something so youd have to capture buildings from the "gaia" player in order to start building up forces and eventually take over the city, maybe even driving some of your enemies out of the city and capturing the gates so that a siege starts up

Edited by oshron

Accurately re-creating even one ancient city in whole would probably be much more difficult than creating a map of the whole world. I only studied reconstructions of ancient Rome for one semester but... I think you don't realize what you're asking.

It would rock but I don't believe it is possible, and if it was it would take years to program just Rome.

Edited by Aldandil

well the idea is that the city is recreated with buildings already in the game; its not THAT difficult, its been done before in RTS games. it would also work well if, like in AOM, buildings in the editor can be moved so that they overlap and make solid "walls" that units cant move through. the only complications that i see are the possible need for some editor-only buildings in order to make things like the roman senate or the forums or public baths possible

A virtual reality of ancient Rome at a certain period would definitely be very cool - not only for an RTS but also for an MMORPG.

And by MMORPG I mean a more pvp oriented game where leveling and gear are either low or non-existent and where strategy/tactics are key.

Or maybe even a mix of RTS/MMORPG where say Rome and Carthage are populated with real players and barely any NPCs - any NPCs are grunts like farmers, etc... but say the Senate and higher positions within the world are held by real people.

Edit - but of course I'm not talking about this game, I'm talking about a bunch of rich people or a game studio where people can do this. Doing something like the above on free time is practically impossible.

Edited by Silver

an idea just occurred to me. i know that fishing ships arent planned for the initial release, but there are schools of fish present for aesthetics. yknow how citizens could net fish from the shore in AOK? why couldnt such a method of gathering food be included here? the fish could have a food count but simply not be able to be fished on the open ocean; like with whales, you would have to wait until they get into the shallows so that shoreline units can attack them, and then fishing ships are brought in later. it could also be reasoned that its too early for fishing ships chronologically for each of these pre-AD civilizations

My humble suggestion to this promising and awesome-sounding game would be to include the Americas... the Mesoamerican civs, and some Asian ones, too.

I know I know - it would be historically incorrect if the Romans encountered the.... Aztecs, Incas or Mayans, or I don't know.

But think about the possibilities of an Alternate History - what if the Romans colonised the Americas? Would have that saved the Empire and made it immortal? Or not....

I don't know, I'm just so addicted to the "Ancient Romans discovering the Americas" alternate stories.

It would be also nice to include some Asian civilizations: the Huns, the Chinese (Han Dynasty? Xin Dynasty?), or even the Koreans (Three Kingdoms: 57 BC – 668 AD), Japanese (Yayoi period: 300 BC–250 AD)....

It would be realy nice to see Mediterran (Ancient Roman, Hellenistic Greek), "barbarian" European (Franks, Saxons, Goths, Vandals), Asian (Huns, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, maybe Indian) and Mesoamerican civilizations in one game.

So it would create ENDLESS possibilities for alternate histories.

It would be AWESOME to see Romans waging war on Incas/Mayas/Aczecs, Aztecs invading Britain, Persians/Carthagians/Iberians/Celts conquering the Americas, the Japanese becoming big power, etc. etc.

Edited by RomanWarrior92

My humble suggestion to this promising and awesome-sounding game would be to include the Americas... the Mesoamerican civs, and some Asian ones, too.

I know I know - it would be historically incorrect if the Romans encountered the.... Aztecs, Incas or Mayans, or I don't know.

But think about the possibilities of an Alternate History - what if the Romans colonised the Americas? Would have that saved the Empire and made it immortal? Or not....

I don't know, I'm just so addicted to the "Ancient Romans discovering the Americas" alternate stories.

It would be also nice to include some Asian civilizations: the Huns, the Chinese (Han Dynasty? Xin Dynasty?), or even the Koreans (Three Kingdoms: 57 BC – 668 AD), Japanese (Yayoi period: 300 BC–250 AD)....

It would be realy nice to see Mediterran (Ancient Roman, Hellenistic Greek), "barbarian" European (Franks, Saxons, Goths, Vandals), Asian (Huns, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, maybe Indian) and Mesoamerican civilizations in one game.

So it would create ENDLESS possibilities for alternate histories.

It would be AWESOME to see Romans waging war on Incas/Mayas/Aczecs, Aztecs invading Britain, Persians/Carthagians/Iberians/Celts conquering the Americas, the Japanese becoming big power, etc. etc.

i also suggested something like this as a 0ad part 3. since part one focuses on rome and civilizations that encountered rome from 500bc to 1bc, and the second focuses on ones from 1ad to 500ad, the next logical step would be to have a third pack that introduces "non-roman" civilizations from both period (such as the yamato japanese, han chinese, mauryan indians)

i also suggested something like this as a 0ad part 3. since part one focuses on rome and civilizations that encountered rome from 500bc to 1bc, and the second focuses on ones from 1ad to 500ad, the next logical step would be to have a third pack that introduces "non-roman" civilizations from both period (such as the yamato japanese, han chinese, mauryan indians)

I don't think that different parts would make sense.... just include theese civs:

European:

-The Romans

-The Greeks/Hellenes

-The Celts

-The Iberians

-The Germancs???

-The Slavs???

Near-Eastern:

-The Persians

-The Carthaginians

-The Semites/Israelites/Jews/Ghassanids/Arabs???

-The Berbers???

Far-Eastern:

-The Huns???

-The Chinese???

-The Japanese???

-The Koreans???

-The Indians???

American Indian:

They have no cavalry at all.

-The Nahuas (the anchestors of the Aztecs.The lived in North America in 0 AD, and they started migrating to Mexico in the 6th century.)

-The Mayas (From Wikipedia: the first clearly “Maya” settlements were established in approximately 1800 BC in Soconusco region of the Pacific Coast. The first written inscription in Maya hieroglyphics also dates to this period c. 250 BC)

-The Iroquis? The Sioux? Sorry, I don't know anything about the Native Americans (other than Mayas) in the Classical Antiquity.

My idea is that the best would be to have just ONE Roman civilization, which represent all of the Romans: the Roman Republic and the Roman Empire.

Edited by RomanWarrior92

Actually, I have a mod idea for 0 AD that turns it into the timeframe of a game like EE or Civilisation, which is the whole history of humanity. I will probably show the concept in public when the Alpha is out. It contains pretty much all of the civs that you mentioned.

Actually, I have a mod idea for 0 AD that turns it into the timeframe of a game like EE or Civilisation, which is the whole history of humanity. I will probably show the concept in public when the Alpha is out. It contains pretty much all of the civs that you mentioned.

Does it contain the Chinese? Japanese? Indians? Koreans? Native Americans? ;)

Does it contain the Chinese? Japanese? Indians? Koreans? Native Americans? ;)

Yes, yes, yes, yes, perhaps. (if I can find proper representation throughout all ages for them, maybe the would be the ancient version of the American faction)

ive also been working on side projects of that basic idea: my mythology game is basically a mythical recast of 0ad (same "mortal" units, plus some additional ones like magicians) with a more ambiguous time period (the greeks are of the mycenaean period while teh norse are of the viking age, for instance); my "modern" game is kinda like empire earth but covers a narrower time period, from the renaissance onwards (so no pre-medieval units like shortswords or cavemen) and also emphasizes fictionalization. one thing i actually hated about empire earth was that the civilizations werent really unique. they had their bonuses, and thats about it. they didnt have unique units like AOK or EE2, and they didnt have unique appearances. i hated that if you wanted to play as medieval japan you had to live with european buildings and units and no people that are even remotely japanese aside from the samurai and ashikagu arquebus. EE2 kinda solved this, but it just wasnt as enjoyable all-around, and they still didnt speak their native language and the civs were basically carbon copies of each other: no forbidden unit types, and the unique units were literally just beefed up versions of pre-existing units; nothing especially unique about them outside of their looks

in both games, pretty much the entire world is represented: nearly every major mythology is included in the mythology mod (the only one missing is some kind of north american native civ; id LOVE to include them but cant find much in the way of pacific northwest mythology), and in the modern mod, pretty much every well-known modern nation is included to some extent. ive even got some alternative history civs like the soviets which technically allows representation of even larger areas

Edited by oshron

I think about EE1/2 in a similar way like you, oshron. Apart from having changed unit accessability (every civ gets pretty much every unit class, except for some notable exceptions (Greeks lack offensive (sword) infantry, Persians and Egyptians lack siege, several nations lack heavy warships), I designed the civs pretty much like the ones of 0AD. Having all the globe into an RTS game was always one of my wishes, and with Pyrogenesis, I will be able to fullfill it.

The whole globe, I said. Actually, my plans go for 18 civs in total. However, I am by no means planning to release them as one, but to split them up in two bunches of 9 civs each.

The first 9 will cover the area of the world that 0AD is also set on - Europe and the Middle East. (since I will have no problems with environment changes here) The second 9 cover the rest of the world and will come with an expansion pack. This includes Asian, African and American civs.

Basic Game:

French faction

British faction

Greek/Italian faction (Ancient Greece -> Byzantines -> Italy)

Roman/German faction

Russian faction

Persian/Iranian faction

Egyptian faction

Phoenician/Spanish faction

Turkish faction (may change into modern day's Israel in Modern Age)

X-Pack:

American faction (USA)

Aztec faction

Incan faction

Bantu faction

Chinese faction

Japanese faction

Korean faction

Mongolian faction

Indian faction

I think about EE1/2 in a similar way like you, oshron. Apart from having changed unit accessability (every civ gets pretty much every unit class, except for some notable exceptions (Greeks lack offensive (sword) infantry, Persians and Egyptians lack siege, several nations lack heavy warships), I designed the civs pretty much like the ones of 0AD. Having all the globe into an RTS game was always one of my wishes, and with Pyrogenesis, I will be able to fullfill it.

The whole globe, I said. Actually, my plans go for 18 civs in total. However, I am by no means planning to release them as one, but to split them up in two bunches of 9 civs each.

The first 9 will cover the area of the world that 0AD is also set on - Europe and the Middle East. (since I will have no problems with environment changes here) The second 9 cover the rest of the world and will come with an expansion pack. This includes Asian, African and American civs.

Basic Game:

French faction

British faction

Greek/Italian faction (Ancient Greece -> Byzantines -> Italy)

Roman/German faction

Russian faction

Persian/Iranian faction

Egyptian faction

Phoenician/Spanish faction

Turkish faction (may change into modern day's Israel in Modern Age)

X-Pack:

American faction (USA)

Aztec faction

Incan faction

Bantu faction

Chinese faction

Japanese faction

Korean faction

Mongolian faction

Indian faction

USA???

The Europeans started colonising the Americas in the 16th century.

Or... you mean the Northern-American Indians, like the Sioux, Apachians, Iroquis?

Andway. your preposal is good.

USA???

The Europeans started colonising the Americas in the 16th century.

Or... you mean the Northern-American Indians, like the Sioux, Apachians, Iroquis?

Andway. your preposal is good.

What I meant is that the "American" faction would be native American until Colonial age, then turn into the United States.;)

• Stan` featured this topic