Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

I personally believe there could be more problems with having animals spawn every now and then. I mean all users have the chance to find the animals. And in any case I doubt that all the animals will run in the same direction = it will take so much time/units to get all to one place that it wouldn't be worth it. In other words, I think there are areas which will take some time to get balanced, but I don't think this is one of them :)

Since you brought up the realism vs. balance thing, look at the other extreme. I am a fan of Europa Universalis, and anybody who played a game from Paradox Interactive knows that they completely disregard balance. If you play as Naxos in 1399, you are simply screwed by the Ottoman Empire. Starting nations are so lopsided that many are "playable", but impossible to win even if you cheat. Paradox Interactive, of course, is the studio that strives for hard core realism, and that has its advantages (unless you like to pay as a small German dutchy at war with Russia :) ).

So, yeah, this isn't the game for that. If the civs were given realistic starting situations, Rome would clearly destroy the Iberians and Carthagians, and who wants that? But it's a different story if the advantage is gained by the player. If your opponent wins because he uses quick thinking and herds all the mastodons to his corner of the map, can you really blame the game itself?

Theoretically, if the deer run from your army like they would in reality, then a clever player could corall all the huntable animals to his side of the map, effectively herding them away from their opponent.

Maybe you could give the animals a "home spot" to which they will always try to return given that it hasn't been "colonized" by humans...?

And maybe you could even use that spot for new animals to be "born" ( = spawned) occasionally?

I really like this project!! Keep up the great work :)

Edited by PatricianS

• 3 weeks later...

Here we have an idea, but already been translated into AO3 TAD

Technical Learning (Building)

It's like a school for the units.

- It has improvements for field units: cavalry, infantry, ect.

- You can enter a unit of each type, with the option of turning it into an elite soldier in the same kind of unity. (The cost would be the same where by default I think) and recreation time in half that would be takes place in the same building. > This refers to the first option

You see ... has a special resemblance to Indian soldiers of AOE 3.

as a second option can also be developed as a unit (in this building), but the cost is very high. (200% or 350% than the normal unit) and time of creation is very long. (approximate creation time is 8 to 10 minutes), with this option, you get a higher percentage of living.

Well greetings from Peru, I participate as part of the translation of the game,

although my English is not very good, I can help make it as acceptable as possible.

I know that the civilizations for the first "expansion" are already planned, but do the developers have any idea if they might do any others far down the road? I think that Ptolemaic Egypt and one of the other Italian civilizations (maybe Etruscans, native Sicilians, Osci, or Umbri) would be good ideas. Libyans/Berbers/Imazigen/Mazices would also be interesting.

Edited by Aldandil

I know that the civilizations for the first "expansion" are already planned, but do the developers have any idea if they might do any others far down the road? I think that Ptolemaic Egypt and one of the other Italian civilizations (maybe Etruscans, native Sicilians, Osci, or Umbri) would be good ideas. Libyans/Berbers/Imazigen/Mazices would also be interesting.

There have been some suggestions as to what civilizations will be in part two, but nothing is decided, and probably won't be for another couple of years. After all, the team is likely to be very different then, so if nothing else it should be up to the people on the team at that point to make the final decision about what they want to do with part two.

Here we have an idea, but already been translated into AO3 TAD

Well greetings from Peru, I participate as part of the translation of the game,

although my English is not very good, I can help make it as acceptable as possible.

thats pretty much what id like to see, too: a third release that expands out of "roman" civilizations to include ones from all over the world. the only two suggestions i can come up with for that, though, are Han dynasty China and Yamato period Japan

• 2 weeks later...

Hey. New here.

Just thought I'd throw out an idea for an additional civilization for consideration: Judea (Yehudah).

Although the Judean kingdom had been conquered before the 500BC mark by the Babylonians (and transferred to the Persians and then Greeks, subsequently), they were influential enough to establish independence from Hellenistic rule with the Hasmonean Kingdom (2nd and 1st centuries BC). Although their sovereignty failed to stand up against Roman prowess, they did struggle against Roman rule for centuries thereafter in the Jewish-Roman Wars (1st and 2nd centuries AD, more or less).

A very fascinating struggle, I think.

Sad, to a certain degree, but fascinating.

Any thoughts?

Yeah, the Hebrews would be nice, they could be made as a religious based culture with special cavalry. (Salomo was famous for his cavalry)

However, i doubt that they will be included in 0 A.D., because the development process has gone too far to implement a whole new civilisation.

But it would be neat to have them in 0 A.D.'s future expansions, for the developers want to include more factions there.

Thanks for the thoughts. The religious aspect of for the culture would definitely be somewhere to go with them. It seems one could argue against a religious emphasis for the culture, since all ancient civilizations were religiously minded. That is a good point to keep in mind. Conversely, however, it seems that there are few ancient civilizations whose religious influence has paralleled that of the Hebrews and their posterity (in an obvious and conscious way, at least), considering over half of the global population is affiliated with one of the Abrahamic faiths.

As for Solomon, I tried to crafted my first comment above with the intent to highlight the post 500BC world of Judah. While the historical ethnogenesis and the (very) ancient history of Israel is interesting, it may be too distant for 0AD. And the Israel after 500BC is not the same Israel that flourished under the united monarchy of 1000BC.

The First Jewish-Roman war would be an epic campaign. Ah, but so would a campaign of the wars between the Jews and the Seleucids. It’s just all so interesting.

I definitely would like to see 0AD Judeans in future expansion packs.

They would definitely need to be a mod. I really don't see WFG adding a civilization such as the Hebrews when there are Huns, Sarmatians, Germanics, Imperial Romans, Parthians, Mauryans, etc. that can be added.

I see, so your intention is to continue in history as you continue with the series?

I can skip my ideas for a Egyptian and Babylonian Civilisation then.(y)

I see, so your intention is to continue in history as you continue with the series?

I can skip my ideas for a Egyptian and Babylonian Civilisation then.(y)

But I want an Egyptian civilization! Don't you want to pit the dying Republic against the Ptolemies? I do!

:P

Edited by Aldandil

You can learn (y) And I'd say creating an entire faction would require more than one person in any case, so you might be the leader :P If you start with gathering information and designing how the faction would look/be played, and then try and get other people to join you might get it done even if you don't know how to mod (I doubt you'd get too many skilled people to help you if you just make an announcement "Hey, please make this mod for me", but if you do the hard work, i.e. the research, I'm sure there are people who'd help you with modeling etc.)

• Stan` featured this topic