Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

It's the years from 0 A.D. to 500 BC if you put it another way, and yeah, it's also partly "everything we wanted to put into part one, but would've taken too much time". But apart from us having a wishlist with some things left out from part 1 and the timespan nothing is certain yet. We want to finish this part first you know :)

This is general suggestion for the Romans, and maybe other civs as well.

Historically, most legionnaires were issued with a shoveled in their standard equipment. They were used to construct defensive camps during the long campaigns. It was said that sometime campaigns, not a single night passed without setting up these camps first, friendly territory or not. These "camps" were burned down before departure in the morning so they can not be utilized by the army.

Anyways, wouldn't it be kinda cool to include these? They can be a walls packed with dirt , or maybe wooden wall+ditch+stakes as you upgrade? I'm not too sure about the details.

The idea is too have it only lasting for a short period of time(hp decay?) while providing some defensive bonus to the friendly troops in it thus giving you an edge in the battle. It can be destroyed by either taking too much damage, or if when all allied units in the area leave it will self destruct.

Only a "officer" or "hero" unit can construct these but once the foundation is started, you can increase building rate with additional troops. Also the ability for the hero would have to recharge with time. This is to avoid "spamming" and add more value for having the "hero" unit near the hot spots (while eliminating enemy hero would give you a good advantage)

Of course this is only a general idea. Feel free to expand upon it

This is general suggestion for the Romans, and maybe other civs as well.

Historically, most legionnaires were issued with a shoveled in their standard equipment. They were used to construct defensive camps during the long campaigns. It was said that sometime campaigns, not a single night passed without setting up these camps first, friendly territory or not. These "camps" were burned down before departure in the morning so they can not be utilized by the army.

Anyways, wouldn't it be kinda cool to include these? They can be a walls packed with dirt , or maybe wooden wall+ditch+stakes as you upgrade? I'm not too sure about the details.

The idea is too have it only lasting for a short period of time(hp decay?) while providing some defensive bonus to the friendly troops in it thus giving you an edge in the battle. It can be destroyed by either taking too much damage, or if when all allied units in the area leave it will self destruct.

Only a "officer" or "hero" unit can construct these but once the foundation is started, you can increase building rate with additional troops. Also the ability for the hero would have to recharge with time. This is to avoid "spamming" and add more value for having the "hero" unit near the hot spots (while eliminating enemy hero would give you a good advantage)

Of course this is only a general idea. Feel free to expand upon it

While not exactly the way you describe it we already have that planned. :) See http://wildfiregames.com/0ad/album_page.php?pic_id=10123 for a concept sketch.

I don't believe that Romans burned their old stations. They either fortified them and thus making them permanent fortresses or disassembled them and taken them away.

Legionaries always camped in camps which were properly guarded. Every legionary carried part of fortifications and equipment needed for construction of defenses.

Don't hurt me I'm a newbie here, but I think a nice thing to see in any RTS that still uses bows and arrows is to have archers on the walls. You could simply have wall models with a set number of unit slots on top. Archers would garrison the walls and take positions on the slots and start firing upon any opposition within range. Units on the wall would get a defense bonus not to mention be free from melee cavalry and infantry attacking them directly. Enemy archers and catapaults would probably be some good ways to knock them out in a more direct sense.

Ladders could be added into the game. Being trained very cheaply at wherever other siege weaponry is built and when trained, an empty ladder would sit out with no one to take it, requiring some three-four men to be attached to it and carry it over to the wall. They can easily be detached from the ladder and continue to the fight while it sits there.

Just an idea though and it might add a new strategy to tackling walls rather than having soldiers poke at them with a pila until they collapse.

Don't hurt me I'm a newbie here, but I think a nice thing to see in any RTS that still uses bows and arrows is to have archers on the walls. You could simply have wall models with a set number of unit slots on top. Archers would garrison the walls and take positions on the slots and start firing upon any opposition within range. Units on the wall would get a defense bonus not to mention be free from melee cavalry and infantry attacking them directly. Enemy archers and catapaults would probably be some good ways to knock them out in a more direct sense.

Ladders could be added into the game. Being trained very cheaply at wherever other siege weaponry is built and when trained, an empty ladder would sit out with no one to take it, requiring some three-four men to be attached to it and carry it over to the wall. They can easily be detached from the ladder and continue to the fight while it sits there.

Just an idea though and it might add a new strategy to tackling walls rather than having soldiers poke at them with a pila until they collapse.

http://wildfiregames.com/0ad/album_page.php?pic_id=12162

Take a good hard look. :)

No ladders though.

Well, "walking" on walls is not going to be in Part 1. HOWEVER, in Part 1 there will be slots on which you can place your soldiers so they can stand on walls and in towers. So, lets say there are 6 slots on a length of wall, then you can garrison 6 archers atop the wall. Most towers will have 2 or 4 slots so that you can garrison 2-4 archers up in a tower. We won't have fighting atop walls and battlements (like in RTW), but that's something we could work on for Part 2.

• 2 weeks later...

I just register, also I don't know all the aspect of the game. I have a suggestion to do.

When I played RTS like OAD (Empire Earth, AoE, etc...) I was always bored to see that all the wolrd was empty. Totaly empty of life appearance. Because all your nation is your slave, nobody move without your will. It's not realistic and it reduces the immersion.

We play for pleasure of course, but we need to seem that we fight for our people, for our cities, etc... for something that seems to exist too.

Also the suggestion I do ; can we add some life to the world's inhabitants ? I agree that soldiers have to be always under player controll, but for the citizen, why not add a fonctionnality that allows to switch them into a "free mod", where they walk along the streets, go back to theirs homes, and like in others games, spend their money (for ressources) ? I will be a new aspect of gameplay ; balance the number of "activ" and "passiv" citizen. Public order (riots ?) and money income could be affected by this rate for exemple.

But whatever the quality of my suggestion, how giving to the world more realism ? I think it's a great aspect of a game.

Well, I know that my idea is not too good, because it may overpower soldiers with shields, but shield could have a little (VERY little) chance of block arrows and make the soldier don't get any damage. Well, it will be nice if you have a slow-moving phalanx and your enemy is using hordes and hordes of archers.

I'm not sure if you did yet but you could add some better horse dynamics for this RTS. Instead of the methods employed where a guy on a horse just leans over and stabs the guy whilst not moving at all, you could code in some form of a cavalry charge ability that only works with a certain number of cavalry selected. You would click in a general area and the horses will run toward that point, sending trample damage to all those in the way. The effect is devestating if put against the right units at the right time but if it hits a wall of spears then you're going to be a couple horses less after the engagement.

• 2 months later...

Hello all. This is my first post but I have gone back and read the other pages. It took a while. :)

Anyway, I have an idea that I don't think has been mentioned as of yet.

Wouldn't it be cool if you could use your mind to control the units in 0ad? Instead of using the mouse you would think it and it would happen. :ok: You would have to use something like This.

I do realize that it is most likely not going to happen. It's just an idea. Hopefully it will get the forum talking again. (n)

Edited by DerWer

One more thing. Some questions.

I've searched and searched and can't find where it says what the system requirements would be. Even an estimate.

Does anyone know what they are or what is estimated they will be? Will 0ad run on my old Dell Dimension 8200 with 256mb ram a Pentium 4(2.26GHz) and a 32Gi hard disk? Or will I have to use something with a little more horsepower.

Also, what effect will 0ad being made open-source have on the production of the game. Will it be completed sooner? Will it not do anything at all?

Something to think about.

Edited by DerWer

I've searched and searched and can't find where it says what the system requirements would be. Even an estimate.
I guess you didn't search the FAQ :). But that is extremely out of date, and it was based on complete guesswork anyway.
Will 0ad run on my old Dell Dimension 8200 with 256mb ram a Pentium 4(2.26GHz) and a 32Gi hard disk?
I don't believe it will work with that little RAM. I guess it should work with 512MB, but it'd be better to have at least 1GB, particularly depending on what other stuff you have running in the background (e.g. Windows). Don't really know about CPU. It shouldn't need much disk space (probably a few hundred MB). For graphics, it should still technically work with a GeForce 3, but probably not with great performance (particularly with shadows) and not with all the graphical effects (like shiny water).

I guess you didn't search the FAQ. But that is extremely out of date, and it was based on complete guesswork anyway.

Now I see them. Thanks Ykkrosh and Jeru.

I don't know what possessed me to over look the FAQ.:ok:

Will there be a 2d mode for computers with less than satisfactory hardware?

Another question.

How will trees behave? One of the things I found annoying in AOE3 was the way the trees acted when they were cut. They would shake, then when all wood was taken from them they would fall and vanish away. :)

I don't know about you but I find that very unrealistic.

It should work like this:

The tree is chopped at four or five times, and during that time it shakes. Then the tree falls into an area clear of trees, if there are any nearby. Then the villager would begin copping the trunk apart as its laying on the ground. Finally, parts of the tree vanish away as the wood is being collected.

Would stumps or leaves be left over?

Edited by DerWer

• Stan` featured this topic