Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

Uhmmm, the revolting stuff was my idea (y) , belisarivs, not brightgalrs´

Nobody says otherwise. But you accepted arguments against it.

For Allah, guys, how can you start a drama only because of a sugestion posted by a n00b (me)?? The economic crisis unnerves ya or what?

You aren't noob. You are welcomed member of community around 0AD.

I wouldn't want 'revolting' in any game personally.

Something I think that should be considered is villager and military efficiency or 'morale'. Perhaps the moral of a new territory or a territory that's not your original can be more or less efficient depending on certain thing such as taxes and other things.

Edited by Silver

Okay here is my little contribution, hows about this, the revolt thing sounds fun, so i think, in aok there where diferent ways of playing standard games like conquest, king of th hill blablabla, the point is if the game applies this there should be one of those in which at a late point of evolution in the game (cause i have understood that there are no epochs) you can get a very expensive unit sort of like a monk, maybe called a briber ;) and you can send to some sort of town center in the province (like ron, you need to build some sort of building to establish in the province), he WONT be invisible to the enemy raidar so ha can be killed, so you use strategy and send an army to entertain while the briber goes there enters the town center and it loads a while. the enemy is know warned that there is a revolter or something or maybe not and BOOM a revolution comanded by your enemy or independent, people should be warned though so some sort of counter meassure should be taken.

You should defenitly consider that type of game play, maybe in a conquest type gameplay where you can do anything to win (y)

yeah a saboteur of some sort,and make the villigers run pointlessly well i was thinking more like a local milicia of male villegers, nothing too dangerous but enough to distract and such maybe joining with the opponent, and depending on which army iis there or depending on the circumstances the province can be conquered by the enemy ny the revolters joining, reconquerd by you or independent although i think that adding an extra opponent wouldnt really be that fun and well whats the point in making a revolt if it doesnt benefit you, given you have one more opponent to beat.

not nessesarily civil war.

well there should be one mode that includes it.

how will the seiges be implemented? im thinking maybe that if its gonna be through provinces, once you have covered enough territories or provinces all the enemy troops will gather as much resources as they can and retreat into there city and you have to commence a seige, to a seige like this i see two ways of victory one that the enemy surrenders once it has no troops and no recourses and you have the choice to accept its surrender or keep the seige going until you brake into the city, the other one is to seige till theres nothing left, or maybe to destroy a certain building inside there could be many possible victory conditionns, and the enemy has a chaance to brake the seige, although again it should be a random map mode, maybe called seige??

ahh saxguy, You do realize that this game is going to be similar to AoK in that last respect. A siege is going to be just like a siege in AoK. You have troops they have troops whoever has the best combo. of forces wins. It's not Turned based, it's not minute tactics, it's and RTS.

And I'm not in favor of the saboteur idea either. maybe someone can mod it.

Are u guys sure that there will be number restrictions on buildings? I mean, what happens if u lose one building? I suppose it will cause a pretty big damage.

It'd be cool if you could change that (y) , or at least let us make a max of 4-5 Barracks (or whatever they are called here) per territory instead of 1 (correct me if I'm wrong, but iirc that's what I red on FAQ/that Mod site)

Are u guys sure that there will be number restrictions on buildings? I mean, what happens if u lose one building? I suppose it will cause a pretty big damage.

It'd be cool if you could change that (y) , or at least let us make a max of 4-5 Barracks (or whatever they are called here) per territory instead of 1 (correct me if I'm wrong, but iirc that's what I red on FAQ/that Mod site)

Exact numbers are to be definitely decided during play-testing, but it's indeed our intention to have limits on the number of a certain buildings per territory. True, it will be a big damage, but remember that there are several buildings you can create units in, and thus you'll be able to continue creating new units even while your Barracks are down. And after all, one of the main reasons for this limit is so you'll be in more pressure to take new territories, in which you can build new buildings as the limits are per territory.

Exact numbers are to be definitely decided during play-testing, but it's indeed our intention to have limits on the number of a certain buildings per territory. True, it will be a big damage, but remember that there are several buildings you can create units in, and thus you'll be able to continue creating new units even while your Barracks are down. And after all, one of the main reasons for this limit is so you'll be in more pressure to take new territories, in which you can build new buildings as the limits are per territory.

Excellent and concise explanation of our rationale, Erik. (y)

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if u got what I mean or w/e but in AoC if you gather 10 food from a Deer then u suddenly task that villager to a farm, that 10 food is lost ULESS you drop the food manually on a Mill/TC (so hunt food is not treated like farm food).

In AoM/AoE3 there's no such thing (not sure about AoE3), all food is treated the same.

• 1 month later...

Some years ago there was this cheap AOK rip-off: Highland warriors. Has anyone played this?

Well, they actually had a few good ideas like:

Peasants/gatherers earning XP, becoming an artisan in a profession f.e. mining ore. This gave them a resource bonus for ore, but a penalty for food, wood, etc...

Seasons = In wintertime when the snow is falling => no pickable berries, no harvestable crops

So you had to hunt or slaughter cattle / livestock from the pen.

Last year in AoMH, I asked everyone to make a suggestions for how to improve future games created by Ensemble Studios. We ended up with a large list of features and we received a positive reply from ES. However, since they have now disbanded (and reformed as Robot Entertainment), I thought I'd give the list to you guys, to see whether you all might find it useful.

Engine suggestions:

• Passible object areas (Usual objects are in their own square or rectangle and nothing can walk inside it. What if units could walk in some areas?)
  • Passible data. (In a campaign, data such as quest vars can be sent from one scenario to another. For example, in a campaign, if you kill a character called "the general", a quest var is set to '1', but if you kill a character called "the dictator", the quest var is set to "2". In the next scenario of the campaign, it will be effected by the quest var. This is only an example of how this effect can be achieved.)

Editor suggestions:

• Password protection for scenarios. (One must type in a password to edit a map.)
  • Anti-rehosting for multiplayer playtesting. (When hosting a map to playtest, all players but the host have the map file deleted to prevent them from hosting it.)
  • Equally sized. (You can change the size of an object by pressing "K", but you can't get objects the same size as eachother. There needs to be a way of doing this.)
  • Scenario file XML editor. (The file can also be edited manually via its XML code aswell as using the editor tools.)
  • Visible LOS and Range. (A ring appears around a unit in the editor. It would show a units range. Another would how its LOS.)
  • Copy and paste triggers. (The ability to copy and paste triggers from one map to another.)
  • Copy and paste overlapping objects. (When this is attempted, one of the objects gets deleted to make room. This should not happen.)
  • Converting units. (If someone places a unit with the wrong player, he can change it without deleting it and placing it again.)
  • Compatibility with mods. (For example, if someone makes a new unit, he or she can still use multiplayer etc.)
  • Download custom music with scenarios. (When a map is being downloaded, the music for it is too.)
  • Make sure we are aware of what triggers do not work online. (Some triggers do not work online and cause Sync errors. We don'yt know which ones do that.)
  • Object flipping tool. (A tool that lets one flip any object. This is not a rotate tool.)
  • Custom special attacks. (A tool that lets one make his or her own special attacks for units.)
  • Support for "if{} else{}" in triggers.
  • Copy and pasted flipped units. (When copying and pasting a unit, it will also copy its size that it might have been enlarged at and digrees that it's flipped.)
  • Enlarging units (By pressing a button or pressing a key on the keyboard, all units selected can be enlarged or shrank.)
  • Multiple players (In multiplayer scenarios, you can only have a pre-set amount of players that can never be changed. However, what if you could have a scenario where you can choose two number of players. For example, a map might be able to support either having 4 players or 6 players.)
  • Controling resigned players. (If a player resigns in a multiplayer map, an allied player could be able to control his or her units. This could be switched on or off with a trigger effect.)
  • AI is set by a scenario. (In multiplayer, A map maker has the option of having the AI pre-set father than leting the host of the map chose what and how many AIs there will be.)
  • Setting the Z axis of some objects. (Objects can be placed anywhere on the map but up. Not all objects should be allowed to levitate however. For example, units (i.e. infantry, villagers, etc). Units should also be able to walk under the raised objects if they're high enough.)
  • Stretch objects. (A feature where if an object is clicked on, there is a tool that can stretch it.)
  • Complete support for modifications.
  • Search box. (When a drop down list with a lot of items such as fire event appears, there should be a search box to narrow down the results to find the item being searched for easier.)
  • Random Map Editor. (A tool that allows someone with little or no experience of code to create a random map.)

Trigger suggestions:

• Modify Selected Unit. (An effect similar to modify protounit, but will edit the stats of a selected unit rather than the protunit. For example: I could selected an archer belonging to player 4 and increased it's hitpoints. In Age of Mythology and Age of Empires III, you can't do that. You have to select the archer from a list and all of the units for that player will be edited (i.e. modify protounit). Modify protounit should still be kept.)
  • Quest Var versions of effects. (Versions of triggers that use quest vars. For example, a "fake counter" effect might say "You have killed X units", with X being the number of units killed.)
  • Player Change Major. God (An effect that changes a players God.)
  • Player Change Color. (An effect that changes a player's colour.)
  • Teleport Unit supports online (The "teleport unit" effect doesn't work online. Please change it so that it does.)
  • Player Kill One God Power. (e.g. Kill the rain god power but don't destroy any others.)

• Stan` featured this topic