Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

Heroes are extra strong, extra special units. You are only allowed to have one alive at any time. However, we do not plan to have "special abilities" akin to RPG spells or anything like that. But what each hero will have is an "aura" around him by which he/she affects the game around them. For instance, while Alexander astride his trusty steed Bucephalus is a strong unit, with high armour and attack points, he also has an aura that boosts the stats of cavalry units around him. So what you'd do is use him in conjunction with squads of cavalry (standard and super) for flanking maneuvers and cavalry charges because he boosts the stats of the cavalry around him. Every hero in the game will have an aura like this that is unique to that hero.

Hope that explains that. :) Also look here for a great showcase for the Greek heroes and their special aura abilities.

• 2 weeks later...

ummmm i dont have any suggestions but i just wanted to tell you guys that ive been watching you guys ever since i found yaw on google back in 2004 when i was 10 years old and now that i finally fixed my email address i finally registered for 0 A.D this year and i just wanted to tell yaw to keep up the good work and that i support you guys all the way!!! (y):)

Thanks Julius! (y)

Will there be Mercenaries that you can hire

Not specifically. However, the Carthaginian faction will have units that cost only Gold (Metal), because they are mercenary type units. Consequently, trading for precious Metals and securing Metal mines will be an important aspect of gameplay for the Carthage player.

I have an idea if you'll listen to it how about if when you ally with someone you can buy their units and they get the money that you paid for the units?

I'd just think that it would be cool to use during muliplayer or during a standard game

But it never happened in history.

There were discussions about allies temporarily providing units for free. I'm not sure if it will be implemented. But it would be more accurate as allies did it (see foederati providing cavalry contingents to Roman legions).

Perhaps possibility to trade techs could be cool. Or inheritance of tech of subdued enemy (see Alexander and his generals to start using Persian soldiers).

Perhaps it would be cool if ally who surrendered gave you everything he had.

In AoK it is considered as good custom to send your units to area where battles most often occur when you plan to resign. It is just workaroud about impossibility to hand over all your units to ally.

ok but can your ally like Belisarivs said do that at least in multiplayer that would be awesome. what if you could press a button in the game that changed ownership of the troops you selected to your ally? that would be good for mult. maybe

i think its better that u can give commands to them

but nothing else, u cant delete them and the other can take them back when he wants

and he also has to give u access to use his troops

so you cant go to an village and own all his people and then set his deplomacy to enemey and kill him with his own units

this would ofcourse only be possible in the multiplayer mode

i have an other question would it be possible that u can give ally AI computer players commands of attacking to a specefic place, falling back, save u out of an ugly situationor fall the enemey in the back or focus on development of infantry/cavalery/naval/villies or gathering resources or build specific buildings or defences???

(like what was the plan of AoK, wich never realy works)

An Idea perhaps for bonus content: the addition of a new hero for each faction. Instead of giving a military bonus, this time it can be economic? f.e. Pericles as a Hero adds more gold/wealth to the Hellenes. Tiberius Gracchus (Romans) makes Grain cheaper and supports more population, ....?

I can. After waiting for 1-2 years it becomes bearable.

Well, what about before it became bearable?

F5 is not god

I learned that the hard way.

My brother learned it the easy way, by going to the computer store and seeing all the keyboards, and he knew there was only one god.

I learned it by breaking it.

• 1 month later...

One thing that Total Annihilation had 10 or 11 years ago and I experienced again in Cossacks and a few other games was a - drop in / drop out mode. Allowing people in a multiplayer game, to join a game in progress, selecting an AI played opponent. This isn't something that's always considered.

Besides the enjoyment factor, I found it incredibly helpful with line and pc glitches when your opponent's pc crashed or latency became temporarily messed up.

Related were user generated game-saves for games in progress and the user selected interval for autosaves. (when your opponent got back into the right slot, someone saved the game quickly in case the "line" or "PC" problem made the game unplayable - and then you could just continue later when the crash/latency/whatever problem was resolved.

:)

• Stan` featured this topic