Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

• 2 weeks later...

I made these four shield designs for the Spartan Homoioi, editing this lamvtha design sh_g02.gif, to make it more accurate for the historical period. I know they don't look nearly as good as the ones in game right now (also I apologize to the person who made the lamvtha shield in advance in case you didn't want anyone to edit it), but I'd really like to see the accurate mora designs in the game, not the Hollywood lamvtha.

scorpiomr4.gifboarpd2.gifbullos4.giffacelp1.gif

Do what you want with them... ignore them, edit them, resize them, use them - whatever.

But the lamvtha is inaccurate. You might as well give them a Corinthian pegasus blazon. And those aren't just any shield designs, they were especially worn by the Spartans from about 550-450... sorry buddy. :blush:

If you give the Spartan hoplites a /\, then give the Athenian units an A, the Macedonians an M, the Corinthians a K, the Thebans Herakles clubs, etc... they're all from late 5th century onwards. I don't understand why we can't work around the lamvtha when every other unit is going to be historically accurate. Leave inaccurate Spartan models to developers by Creative, Ensemble, Midway, Stainless Steel (RIP) etc...

Edit: Just a thought, what would you be more frightened of - a boar, scorpion or minotaur... or a letter? I don't see what the big fuss about /\ is. Because it's just a letter!

Edited by FirePowa8

The letter symbolised Lakedaemon (thats why to come home without the shield would mean dishonour to the Spartan and his family as it symbolised the State of Sparta), the most feared and kicka** army of all greece, even foreigners would have heard of the Spartans and **** themselves if they ever came across them, and if they didnt know...they'd find out anyway, just look at the persians after the Greco-Persian wars lol :banana:

The lambada should be kept as the standard shield of the Spartans for the game :blush:

Edited by Leonidas I

We (well, me and I think CheeZy) plan on releasing a bunch of "extras" with the game as part of the "Design" module of the game. What this would definately include are additional shields and weaponry and suchness. If we end up using the lambda texture as the default Spartiate shield design we will definately include Firepowa's mora designs for him and you guys. :blush: Plus, I am formulating an idea that during the campaign the Spartiates will change shield designs as the story and timeline progress. So, basically during the Persian Wars the Spartans will wear the mora designs and during the Peloponnesian Wars they'll wear the lambda design. :banana:

Brilliant!! but this does mean that i can keep the lambdas if i want yeah? because i have a certain persian army that needs delaying at thermopylae lol :banana:

oh yeah, there should be a thermopylae map in the custom battles section, then i can play the battle just like in the book 'Gates of Fire' (where they had lambdas) :blush:

Edited by Leonidas I

Sure... you can send the randomized ones with lamvdas to their heroic deaths, if you want - while the guys with morae stand around and do nothing. :blush:

Though assuming the Spartans are expensive and take long to train, I think you'll be wanting every single one of them!

Also, does the Leonidas unit have a shield? If so, I'll make the red/white/black solar design for him.

He does have a cape, and ptereges (I think, unless it's just a more intricately designed tunic) under his bell cuirass (the others have muscled cuirasses, but it's kinda hard to see). It's probably too late, but I think it'd be better if Leonidas was the only one with a transverse crest. The Spartiates could probably have high crests or double crests or something instead. But if not, maybe he could have different colours on his crest, maybe red and black rather than the same red and white as his fellow Spartiates. Again, if not, maybe this will make him stand out a bit:

leonidasshieldta2.gif

:blush:

That may be very possible ingame, we will have to see how the code works out ingame. We don't have that specifically coded in as far as I know, but for sure it could be experimented with if it doesn't already occur from the programming that already exists.

As for Roman legionnaires, for sure. Definately better soldier for soldier than any other in the ancient world. My point was that a lone Roman solider versus a lighter and faster opponent would have some serious problems in terms of manueverability. He is wearing 30 pounds of chainmail and carrying a 20 pound shield. The people I've talked to on Roman Army Talk, many of them reenactors, all say that the scutum is not the ideal fencing shield and (in Roman form) is made for formation fighting. Likewise for the hoplon.

One note paal, from a history major, me, to historian, you. I would say that the best unit hand to hand combat should stay the caestrati, but in formation it should be the spartan homoioi. They were equipped with the smallest swords in the greek world to make it easier for them to stab their opponent when too close to use spear. They used those swords so effectively, that no army has ever defeated the spartans in battle. THeir only defeats have come as a result of tactical superiority of certain generals, like pelopida and Epaminonda. A legionary wouldn't stand a chance in front of a Spartan Homoioi wheather in distance or close combat.

I do agree with you on the use of hellenic hoplon. Was not built for fencing but great protection nonetheless.

• Stan` featured this topic