Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

No, not currently. And for the record the Unreal 3 engine uses Normal mapping which can shade a surface through infinite light sources and shaders while Bump mapping can only shade through one light direction.

Bump mapping/normal mapping is only needed in games that change very dynamically in their effects. So they're perfect for first person shooters where you're constantly in different environments. However for 0AD, the camera angle and setting will mostly be the same throughout the game.

However, as you noticed in the celtic screenshots, they really do look amazing thanks to the illusion of bump/normal mapping which is in the texture and not a rendered effect.

Anyway, the only purpose I can see for bump mapping or normal mapping would be for use on water, but I'm not sure how we're doing that yet or if we'll be doing it like that at all.

You know what is cool, if infantry could swim in small rivers, it could be after and if they are too long in the water they will drown :D

It would also be cool if you could hunt birds and dig tunnels into the ground in order to flood areas of the map :) - what I'm trying to say is, that everything is theoretically possible, but sometimes it would cause a crazy amount of programming time to achieve only a little feature :P

I dont think i want to play the game, see a huge roman town, then scroll over to my celtic ally and see a huge celtic town. Thats unrealistic, first celtic towns were small, and second celtic families were big, might as well have there homes hold twice as much pop as a roman house, that will make celtic towns small, but wont put them at a disadvantage. Mabie make them cost a bit more then roman homes becuse rome did have better building materials.

Agreed, and I've been thinking of something like that for a while :) Differnent culture's houses would give different ammounts of population. Also there might be more than one house, like a "long house" that gives more.

But those're just my random ideas, nothing documented for gameplay yet. Though testing will be when the ideas start flowing.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new here, but i find this game very interesting. A couple of ideas i could offer are mercenaries. will you be able to hire mercenaries? they were a huge part of history during the roman times.

Another idea is heroes, or perhaps a specific type of unit with a title. An example would be in the Sassanian army, they had countless titles for their military. One of them being a paygan-salar. this in the game, could give that unit more hitpoints, perhaps an aura that increases it's surrounding infantry an increased hitpoint, attack, whatever.

Another idea is something very similar to AoE, and that would be unique units, only this time you could have more than one for each faction.

I can see this game going very far. anyway, I hope that helps.

• Like 1

so hero and unique units are already in the game... sweet!

aside from mercenaries, what about trade goods? you could probably give a faction a certain "historical" trade good that their allies can benifit from (just for money anyway).

and how about religous zeal? will units be affected by how well they perform in battle if there's a priest nearby (ally or enemy)?

just to claify, when i mean mercenaries, i mean hiring tribes to fight for your cause - infantry, fanatics, archers, cavalry, etc... all factions BUT the romans would be at a disadvantage (since the romans are known for hiring mercs for their battles) unless you can give the the barbaric factions the natural ability to gain mercenaries by (example) surviving for a certain period of time. other factions might be able to pay them a certain tribute, or their specialized goods for exchange of their forces, etc.

will the super units, or heroes cause "fear" upon enemy units? (good example the persian war elephant) perhaps lowering their defense, or even "scaring them away", that would be a neat affect.

i know you guys talked about diplomatic relations before, but i'm just wondering if there will be an option of "threatening your ally, nuetral, etc." and vice-versa?

can you hold certain heroes or units for ransom?

just a few more ideas, trying to figure out what else was constant during the roman times.

Another idea is something very similar to AoE, and that would be unique units, only this time you could have more than one for each faction.

Each of the 6 civilizations in the game are unique in gameplay and units to eachother. That means we don't re-use units in other civilizations, and the Hellenes spearman (Hoplite) will look and act differently from the Persian spearman (Neyzedar Madi). This is obviously a nightmare for balance :) but thats why people hold things like alpha and beta tests.

absolutely fantastic!!! that's something i have not seen in ANY game as of yet. That was one of the reasons why i lost my interest in AoE... the fact that they recycled madly... i hope this also includes different types of siege weoponry, but, i can see how much more time consuming that can be (since many factions just copied the others), and altogether inconceivable.

• Like 1

@cluelessguy_2: Yeah, I agree; AoE and AoK got a little repetitive after a while, since all civs had the same units and buildings for the most part. AoK improved a little, with unique culture art and unique units, but it's still nothing like a game with *completely* unique civs. :)

AoM had completely unique civs, but it seems like a lot of people complain about balancing issues :D

• Like 1

Not sure if it has already been mensjoned but how about putting in some of the seven wonders? (And I know that the pyramids are one of them but they are used all the time, maybe like the hanging garden of Babylon or the statue of Zews on the Olympys?)

We've compiled a list of 28 (and counting) wonders of the world that are appropriate to 0 A.D.'s time period. However I am 99% certain that not all of them will make it into the game, atleast in it's initial release, simply due to the sheer volume of work they require.

Though we've got 1 wonder already finished, and more to come.

@cluelessguy_2: Yeah, I agree; AoE and AoK got a little repetitive after a while, since all civs had the same units and buildings for the most part. AoK improved a little, with unique culture art and unique units, but it's still nothing like a game with *completely* unique civs. :)

AoM had completely unique civs, but it seems like a lot of people complain about balancing issues :P

Oh Nate ... think about Empires Dawn of the Modern World .... 9 different civs, :D !!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Stan` featured this topic