Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

If there wil be a map in the game with the Netherlands on it, may i notify that then many parts of this country where sea rather then land. The reason I`m saying this is because in the (old) game ceasar 3 there was a map that also had the Netherlands on it, but they even put the flevopolder on it B) , that`s not historiclie acurat. Another mistake made in this game was that the colluseum (i now it`s not the real name, but idon`t know the original name) was round rather then oval

I thought about that the buildings don't blend into the terrain on a screenshot. And I think I might have a sollution. In some games (at least in AoM) buildings get a special paved terrain under them. This also remains there when a building is destroyed, which I think isn't that good it would be better if it would disappear in time again.

Anyway, what about implenting this in 0AD too? Then you could fit the textures with the paved terrains so they do blend with it.

We plan to include texture beneath buildings like what you said happens in AOM. Whether or not those textures eventually fade back into a grass texture (for example) when the building is destroyed is a different matter. Interesting suggestion though.

Also, godlike's suggestion about being able to export a text file of the "history" of a game match is a a very cool idea, but one I don't think we'll implement. We have so many other cool ideas floating around in the "backburner" document that we'd like to implement.

I was thinking about the territory system.

In some game types, the map is subdivided into Provinces which must be captured and annexed into a player's territory in order to reap their valuable resources and construct forward bases in these areas. A player's starting Territory can also be surrounded by attrition borders to reduce early rushes, if the host wishes.

Does this mean that buildings can't be built in enemy territory? I mean wouldn't this take out all the fast tactics that a RTS game has? Because when I want to construct a forward base for instance I first have to capture the area before I can build something on it, if this is true the fastness of a forward base and attack is soon gone, atleast that's how I see it.

Also will the enemy be able to see when you capture another territory? So it's shown on the map for example?

I liked rushes in AoK, but this isn't historically accurate. I know, that this game isn't intended do be absolutely accurate if it comes to history and tactics and rather seeks balance between gameplay and accuracy, but it would look odd if Romans built Barracks close to base of enemy and quickly started training soldiers and sending them to enemy.

That's my point of view. (y)

Edited by godlike

I liked rushes in AoK, but this isn't historically accurate. I know, that this game isn't intended do be absolutely accurate if it comes to history and tactics and rather seeks balance between gameplay and accuracy, but it would look odd if Romans built Barracks close to base of enemy and quickly started training soldiers and sending them to enemy.

That's my point of view. (y)

And it`s my point of view too

Edited by Vingauld

Phoenix-therealdeal wrote:

Secondly, an analysis of weaponry of the era (500BC~500AD) yields that there were only 9 basic weapons types used, other than siege engines employed by anybody, during the period. Another notable thing is that there was very little in the way of 'standing professional armies', though in some cases there were what we might term as 'royal guards'. Interestingly though, the majority of soldiers, regardless of civ, were merely 'called up' at the whim of the king or potentate.... we call them "Citizen Soldiers".

Is it also true that the greek (or in this case hellenistic) hoplites al brought there own armor with them to the battle field, wich caused that it was hard to recognize wich soldiers where on whoms site??

Localization won't be started until shortly before or after the game is released - if you're still up to it 1-2 years from now, godlike, sure we'd be happy to get your help. The more languages the game is in the better!

Is there possibility to register and when game is finished, then I will be notified?

Is there possibility to register and when game is finished, then I will be notified?

That would be loke asking us to add another layer of administration on top of all that we already have, though it mayu be that as you've registered to the forums we have the e-mail addys of ALL who have and a notification perhaps could go out in that manner.

Keep in mind that this is a hobbiest development effort... and it has taken many of us more than three years already just working on the game (for free) in able to make a game which will be free. IF you continue to be active on our forums, regardless of how long it takes to go to completion, I can practically guarantee you that you'll be amongst the first to know when it does. :)

Runs under Linux and generates nice maps.

Indeed it does... the best I've seen yet!

Have you downloaded it and messed around with it? Can you actually zoom in on a bit of terrain, say the size of Socotra (the island to the right just off the Horn of Africa-Somalia) and south of Yemen in such a manner that something like that could constitute the gameworld for a session? I ask because that is what we'll need if we are to become able to replicate 'the real world' with fidelity to it.

Does it also run under Windows? I am not personally sure what 'Windows X' means.

Indeed it does... the best I've seen yet! 

Have you downloaded it and messed around with it?  Can you actually zoom in on a bit of terrain, say the size of Socotra (the island to the right just off the Horn of Africa-Somalia) and south of Yemen in such a manner that something like that could constitute the gameworld for a session?  I ask because that is what we'll need if we are to become able to replicate 'the real world' with fidelity to it. 

Does it also run under Windows?  I am not personally sure what 'Windows X' means.

I downloaded it, but forgot to download other files, so I didn't try it, but it looks promising. I'll try it and report after finishing my exams.

Perhaps it could run on Windows, but I think that chances are small.

Linux itself is only kernel with HW support, let say like MS-DOS and X-Window is something like Win 3.11, but for Linux (and Unixes) only (I think).

For Linux user would be such comparison insultive (like compering Ferrarri to some pretty terrible car) but to show relationship between Linux and X-window system is quite sufficient. So, X-Window (and Window X) means that it requires Linux (or Unix).

I downloaded it, but forgot to download other files, so I didn't try it, but it looks promising. I'll try it and report after finishing my exams.

Perhaps it could run on Windows, but I think that chances are small.

Linux itself is only kernel with HW support, let say like MS-DOS and X-Window is something like Win 3.11, but for Linux (and Unixes) only (I think).

For Linux user would be such comparison insultive (like compering Ferrarri to some pretty terrible car) but to show relationship between Linux and X-window system is quite sufficient. So, X-Window (and Window X) means that it requires Linux (or Unix).

But wait.... doesn`t this program only gives maps of the world like it is today, for example my own county, the Netherlands around the time of 0 ad mosts parts of the Netherlands where flooded thpugh these maps will show you the Netherlands how it is with dikes `n stuff, but those dikes wheren`t there yet around the time period and so most parts of the NL where flooded

Edited by Vingauld

Can you actually zoom in on a bit of terrain, say the size of Socotra (the island to the right just off the Horn of Africa-Somalia) and south of Yemen in such a manner that something like that could constitute the gameworld for a session?
I can't remember whether I've mentioned this before, but World Wind can show this detail anywhere in the world, which might be useful :)

(Incidentally, it seems quite surprising how flat the world's suface is - even the tallest mountains are just little bumps...)

doesn`t this program only gives maps of the world like it is today
I guess the Romans didn't have any decent permanent storage media to retain the images from their photographic satellites :P

It generates maps from data files gathered bz CIA in 80's, but I don'think that it is absolutely useless. I think, that world now is almost the same (but I think, that not so devastated) like in 0AD. Some minor differences could be easily changed. It should ber definitely easier and more accurate than made all by hand.

This man mede it: francois@arvernes.com contact him and ask him whatever you wish. :)

doesn`t this program only gives maps of the world like it is today

I guess the Romans didn't have any decent permanent storage media to retain the images from their photographic satellites :)

And that is where geologists can help, there probably are maps to be found on wich you can see what the world looked like in a certain time period. On or school we have got a so called histrical atlas, i have never held it in my hands, and so i have never been able to peak in it, but i think these kind of things are the source to use

Edited by Vingauld

• 2 weeks later...

If you're considering a bit of freelance writing (like I did before I was fortunate to be an official historian), the guy you want to send your article to is Paul (Paal_101), our head historian. He'll tell you if we need an essay on a topic, and what not. Once you'll done, he may have some corrections or pointers, but if you've done the essay properly (ask Paul for our rules on research and plagiarism), he should have no problem posting it.

Good luck! :axeman:

There is no reason for the historical subject matter of Christianity to be offensive to anyone unless they are outright Christ-a-phobes. As you are well aware, Christianity began in the first century AD and played a huge role in the following few centuries historically. I think a tasteful article on the early church and its effects in the ancient world would be appropriate for the historical articles. I'm sure Paul wouldn't allow something that is full of rhetoric or bias.

I'd actually be interested in seeing a few other acticles about ancient religions on the website such as: Judism, Gnosticism, Zorastrianism, Greek/Roman gods, etc... if your interested Cory?

• Stan` featured this topic