Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

Well, we don't want to give too much away about the game, so that's why CheeZy replied in his ambiguous way. :) Let's just say yes, walls will be cool. Walls will be more important than in AOM. Walls will even be cooler than AOK's walls. With the game design the way it is, don't look for players to wall off half the darn map, like in AOM. However, as a hobbyist developer we aren't able to make walls as cool as we all want them, BUT they will be much more realistic than AOM or AOK. Make of that what you will. :(

• Like 1

I would just like to say that I am blown away at what you guys are doing. From what I have seen so far this game looks really good!

Sorry if this has been asked or said already but are there any plans for a physics engine. I think a physics engine would give the game a better sense of realism. When you hit a brick wall with a sword it doesn't catch fire like in games like AoM or any of the age of games. The wall would be more likely to damage the sword than the sword damage the wall. I understand a physics engine is a relatively new technology for games, especially RTS games, and would be a bit over budget for a non profit organization.

Anyway thanks again for making this game i can't wait to play it. :)

Edited by Internalcow

You want us to spend $30,000 just so we can look gimicky and be called a clone of AoE3 by doning the Havok Physics engine? :) And hand-coding our own physics is out of the question. You can expect a 2010 release date if we wanted to do that ourselves.

I don't see the advantage of having physics when it would just be a graphical doodad (I love that word, Jason :P) that won't add anything to gameplay besides anoying things like your unit dieing when a tree randomly falls on it. Sounds cool on paper, doesn't work at all in reality. Physics are not cool in games unless the game is centered around it (Half Life 2), other games like Doom3 and Farcry that use a physics engine have no purpose for them other than graphics (to the point where most people didn't even know Doom3 has physics)

Sorry for taking such an agressive stance against this, but its all we can do to convince you why physics won't rock the socks off you if you see it in 0AD. We don't have the liberty of buying a $30,000 license on our non-existant budget that is largely composed of donations from our own team (not only do we work for free but we take money out of our own pockets to keep this project together)

No matter how amazing 0AD is, there is nothing in the game that can surpass the amazing talent and detirmination found in the WildFire Games team. Man oh man am I so proud to be working along such excelent people, albeit the distance barrier between us all. With luck that might someday change :P

No matter how amazing 0AD is, there is nothing in the game that can surpass the amazing talent and detirmination found in the WildFire Games team. Man oh man am I so proud to be working along such excelent people, albeit the distance barrier between us all. With luck that might someday change

So WELL spoken, Bobbo... but don't scare this poor fellow away who JUST arrived here and probably can't yet know how it is with a bunch of paupers making a great game on a shoelace and a french fry. :P

:) Welcome to the fanbase, Internalcow.

Yeah, havok engine types weren't even invented yet when we originally spec'd this game, and to the best of my knowledge noone of us be rich but either students or just plain working stiffs that enjoy a challenge and working together with a great group of, like CheeZy says, people. :P

Wow I knew it was expensive but $30,000, wow. I had no idea that it cost that much!

A physics engine is more than just graphical pleasure and an annoyance. A physics engine could further allow the player to use the world around them. For example a player could roll a boulder off of a cliff onto an unsuspecting army or a player could catapult dead animals and disease into other people’s bases. But like you said the game has to be built to do these things or else the physics serves no purpose. I hope AoE 3 will use the physics engine for more than just something to look at.

Anyway since there is only a 1% chance of a physics engine I came up with another idea. Give the player the ability to build ladders to climb over walls. When a player is in an offensive they can use it to slip over a wall when the enemy is not looking and the defensive player can counter it by simply pushing it back the other way.

Oh, and it's ok I'd would like to know when i say something stupid so i don't sound stupid somewhere else :)

<span class='edit'>This post has been edited by Internalcow: Today, 06:23 AM</span>

Edited by Internalcow

Well, the joke's on me ;)!

I like the wall idea, but I suppose a physics engine would be a little too much to ask of hobbyist freeware game. It would be nice though...

In case you are using AoK and AoE style walls, you could resrtict which units would be able to attacl walls. For example, melee and cavalry units would not have any effect on the walls, archers could do some minimal damage, and siege weapons do the most damage.

Well, rolling boulders and stuff works better in a game where you're one person moving around rather than an RTS game.

I think it works great in an RTS game because then you can roll a big boulder on a big army, so you kill a big part of this army, so your soldiers will have less dificulty in defeating this army.

Edited by Vingauld

• Stan` featured this topic