Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

There are seasons, but they're cosmetic, I think. Or maybe that's weather.

Moreover, most of Europe, especially in Northern Europe, was coated in trees. Blazing down forests wasn't a very good option at the time.

By Napoleon's time, however, population growth and modernizing technology had drastically lowered the amount of forests. Sort of like South America and Central American today.

I think u shouldn`t make the units too stong, because fighting whit big armies is beautiful and realistic, as long as it is controlable ( grouping soldiers really helps )

There should be at least one way to gain a resource without runnig out of it (for example trading in Age of Empires/Kings/Mythologie) because it really sucks to run out of resources.

Unexhaustable farms can be good thing, because it is really annoying if you are at war and your reset farm qeue (AOK) is empty :wine: .

• Like 1

Well there should be some waytogive you the ability to always gather a form of resources, for example the regrowing trees (wich has been suggested somewhere in this topic)

And inexhaustable farms are reasonably realistic; for example if you have a corn field and you have harvested your corn you will use a part of your corn to plant new cornin order to avoid that you wont have any income next summer, so maybe you can use food to reset your farm and make trees regrow and then the exhaustable resources are ore and stone.

Vingauld

It is a good idea, Bakayaro. In fact, you can, and I do it, playing RM AoK.

Let's just say a 1v1 or a 2v2, frexs.

If I want a relatively short game I can select the Tiny map (easier to flush or rush on, game over toot sweet). If I want to go with a loooonnnnger game, I select the Giant map.

The larger maps are scripted to have more resources appear on them because there is more 'space', and of course they've been designed to carry more civs playing in balance on them, too. Yes, selecting map size at one extreme or the other does have the net effect of giving you a noticeably different game type to play because both strategy and tactics will have to conform to the chosen mapworld. And, amongst quite a few other things, you'll be able to do that in 0ad. :wine:

I can agree to semi-exhaustible resources...but, honestly, farms and mines can be active for hundreds of years without having to be refreshed. Italy has made wine from vineyards that stem back to midieval times. Perhaps trees should be exhaustible. It's hard, given that an RTS has limitations on how many trees can be shown.

• Like 1

These are just suggestions, and if they are not doable, then to bad for us, we`ll just gonna have to accept that. But what we are saying here is that it would be nice if it would be in the game (though this is probably not everyones oppinnion because there are always afew people whit weird ideas :wine: )

• 2 weeks later...

Then there also needs to be an in-game scenario editor that allow for good custom maps and multiplayer scenarios.

(Tower defense, anyone?)

I'll make some packaged scenarios if someone sets up the editor. (I have some experience with StarCraft's Scenario Editor, and WCIII's as well).

• Like 1

In the first part we release (500bc to 1ad) I highly doubt it, possibly in the second part (1ad to 500ad) we may include it because we will be adding more features, content and otehr things that we couldnt do in the first.

But still its a lot of work to write our own physics engine and I dont know of any (good) free ones that we could use.

• Like 1

Not at all? Not even villagers who can dig under the walls to undermine them? I'm sure I can do some damage to a wall if I have a sword and I knock at the wood that makes up the building. It ought to depend on the material the building is constructed of. A sword would be completely useless against stone or brick, but an axe or a sword could potentially chop wood.

And so then can you have soldiers scale walls or go into buildings and disable them from doing anything?

Saboteurs? (Units that can disrupt the workings of buildings or damage the buildings themselves)

How about espionage? Will that be employed, or will it simply be reduced to scouting?

• Like 1

On scaling, I think somewhere it was said that those would not be included. :-( But, in that spirit, what about a seige tower that can land units on top of enemy walls?

Actually, it would be cool that when infantry units attack buildings, they do actually set it on fire by throwing a torch up into it, causing the building to loose HP until the fire is quenched by civilians or something; but they cannot directly attack it, because it would take hours. And plus, they are better used attacking other military units.

But I agree: infantry vs. stone buildings should be futile.

• Stan` featured this topic