===[COMMITTED]=== Iberian Barracks

Stan`

Here's the concept Enrique, Micheal and I have agreed on

I know my sketches can be hard to read sometimes, so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask ;)

(Oh, and if you're having trouble with things like scale and you have public SVN, just download existing barracks models from the art folders and make them roughly the same size)

Okay So it should be more... military looking. I'll start working on this.

EDIT : Is this ... Accurate ?

1388717653-barracksv10.jpg

1388760312-barracksv11.jpg

Edited by stanislas69
  • Like 3

this is coming along well :D

Take some cues from other iberian buildings, notably the fortress for the stone and wood crenellations for texturing decisions

I'm a little worried about the roof but you've already told me it's not finished yet, so I'm eager to see what more you make of it ;)

Also! make sure it extends below the ground plane, so it can sit on hills without floating

the reflections is too hard. XD. is hard to understand the building.

I agree it will be easier to review without those rendered reflections.

Btw, did the iberians use such sloped walls? I don't think any of our other Iberian buildings has it. The crenelation wall is also a bit thin. Like you can fall though it without applying too much force.

Apart from that, it looks good to me.

• Like 1

Maybe some inspiration can be taken from the reconstructed ruins of Numantia in Spain (although this was a Celtiberian settlement, not Iberian an sich).

Thank you wasn't a great help though, maybe for the watchtowers in the future.

I agree it will be easier to review without those rendered reflections.

Btw, did the iberians use such sloped walls? I don't think any of our other Iberian buildings has it. The crenelation wall is also a bit thin. Like you can fall though it without applying too much force.

Apart from that, it looks good to me.

Removed the slopped walls.

the reflections is too hard. XD. is hard to understand the building.

Removed it ;)

this is coming along well :D

Take some cues from other iberian buildings, notably the fortress for the stone and wood crenellations for texturing decisions

I'm a little worried about the roof but you've already told me it's not finished yet, so I'm eager to see what more you make of it ;)

Also! make sure it extends below the ground plane, so it can sit on hills without floating

The roof should be a little ? better now.

1388788497-barracksv12.jpg

The rounded corners are gone

I'd have the wall buttresses extend below the ground plane with the rest of the structure

You don't have to articulate the tiling in the roof so much, we have normal maps that can do that for you (the building has two tiled eaves, if that is unclear in the sketch)

The crenellations on the wall look a little too even as well, make them look a little more sloppy, like the walls and fortress. Give them varying texture as well

Try to randomize some of the smaller details, it gives a more believable, natural feeling to it

a little bit of slope in the walls should be OK but not too much ;)

• Like 1

I would just like to add a token here.

Being a barracks its a castra a military building, try add lots and lots of weapons....

Put spears against the inner walls and sword racks.

And...... Honestly dummy side of things is unrealistic.

What I would put in place of that is armour stands. The armour being chainmail and leather vests with an iberian helmet piked on the top. These you can stack lots against the walls.

From an artistic point of view, the weapons need to be iberian essentially all the "content" needs to be Iberian which will give it a nice compliment and be distinctive ;)

I would just like to add a token here.

Being a barracks its a castra a military building, try add lots and lots of weapons....

Put spears against the inner walls and sword racks.

And...... Honestly dummy side of things is unrealistic.

What I would put in place of that is armour stands. The armour being chainmail and leather vests with an iberian helmet piked on the top. These you can stack lots against the walls.

From an artistic point of view, the weapons need to be iberian essentially all the "content" needs to be Iberian which will give it a nice compliment and be distinctive ;)

these props are added after. are the second part of a building. that is why i asked see in game.

The original building he had was perfect he didn't have to change it...

I agree with the scaling to flush away abit of that warp. And bush up the thatch roof a bit. Also make the building a few tones darker. Its way to light. And add more content consisting of weapons and amour to make it look more barraksy... If you fill the inner walls with it it definitely look a lot better

This new building here doesn't have an authentic vibe to it. It seems to imitate AoK architecture... And as a theme representing the middle eastern regions the opposite end of the Mediterranean.

Edited by Romulous
  • Like 2

I read up on wikipedia that ancient Iberian castros were made up of stone and thatch (ruins support the dominant stone construction), and the texture pack adds plaster which would be of phoenician influence (I had assumed from interactions with Carthaginian colonies)

From the ruins of these castros it's apparent of the defensive nature of these Iberian settlements, looking similar to celtic Brochs. The previous building didn't have that closed off fortress-esque look to it which we want to be dominant for the Iberian civilization, and that is why we decided to reroute artistic development from the previous iteration

• Like 1

Could you elaborate on this, and perhaps find some sources, if you can?

I know I am not the art leader, but this is just my interpretation

First of all....

barracks.jpg

This is AoK architecture fro a standard barracks model. This one in particular is themed middle eastern.

This new barracks modeled proposed here

1388788497-barracksv12.jpg

Is not much different ....

And take into consideration I meant the building structure, not the bricks, painting and outer appearance.

The old one was a little more unique

1388185875-barracksv6.png

For the walls on this one you could exchane the brick work if you wanted to from the new one to give this one a face brick sort of look, "more stoney"

The thatch roof could have a couple shades darker for that nice thatchy goldness and the walls and paint slightly darker as well.

For weapons, place spears on the walls inside the space in the middle and you can even use Roman swords on racks and against the walls too. (WHY ROMAN SWORDS?!?!!?) Because the gladius is an Iberian design :D

Iberian buildings did have a lot of Celtic influence, but there is no way to know in this time and era what building looked like either, but I can safely bet they didn't look like AoK's Medieval version of a barracks LOL

Lion I believe is Spanish, maybe he can shed some light on this subject......

Edited by Romulous
  • Like 1

lol Sighvatr

I'm usually careful with the power of the Wiki

That first bit with the stone and thatch is all I took from it, the rest is speculation from the ruins and rural spanish architecture

the ruins around a Celtic broch like at Gurness are more or less similar to those on the hills of Iberia, like the castro at santa tegra

If anything, I would backtrack to what's left and hypothesize, myself. It's more fun that way.

at any rate, there isnt a lot to go on

• Like 1

I know I am not the art leader, but this is just my interpretation

First of all....

This is AoK architecture fro a standard barracks model. This one in particular is themed middle eastern.

This new barracks modeled proposed here

Is not much different ....

And take into consideration I meant the building structure, not the bricks, painting and outer appearance.

The old one was a little more unique

For the walls on this one you could exchane the brick work if you wanted to from the new one to give this one a face brick sort of look, "more stoney"

The thatch roof could have a couple shades darker for that nice thatchy goldness and the walls and paint slightly darker as well.

For weapons, place spears on the walls inside the space in the middle and you can even use Roman swords on racks and against the walls too. (WHY ROMAN SWORDS?!?!!?) Because the gladius is an Iberian design :D

Iberian buildings did have a lot of Celtic influence, but there is no way to know in this time and era what building looked like either, but I can safely bet they didn't look like AoK's Medieval version of a barracks LOL

Lion I believe is Spanish, maybe he can shed some light on this subject......

Honduras, creo...

The Iberians use the falcata in the game and so they shall have them on their racks. Wouldnt make much sense to those who don't know that little snippet of information otherwise

We have a template we have to follow, Burzum. For recognition's sake

What makes that barracks middle eastern is the arabesque detail, not the fortified courtyard.

if you notice, every barracks in AOK has a fortified courtyard so it can be recognized as a barracks, which is what we're trying to do here

believe me, I tried to outstep those bounds too :/

Honduras, creo...

The Iberians use the falcata in the game and so they shall have them on their racks. Wouldnt make much sense to those who don't know that little snippet of information otherwise

We have a template we have to follow, Burzum. For recognition's sake

What makes that barracks middle eastern is the arabesque detail, not the fortified courtyard.

if you notice, every barracks in AOK has a fortified courtyard so it can be recognized as a barracks, which is what we're trying to do here

believe me, I tried to outstep those bounds too :/

im Honduran, Iberian its too ancient , the Spanish conqueror these colonized my country uses other architectures based in Italian medieval and moorish buildings.

I don't know too much about Spanish Pre-Roman Architecture.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Yeah... All I'm saying is that the standard archtypical design of the barracks seems to be getting really boring. Certainly other buildings in 0 .A.D look totally different to previous RTS normal styles, but .. Its that barracks box that hasn't changed since wololos stole my catapults...

It can still be a box.... But try and be more adventurous and imaginative....

http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=16690

lol take a look at this process for the Mauryans

For some reason the barracks always seems to be one of the more controversial of the buildings to model

If we come across some new knowlege or have a stroke of genius, things will change.

That looks neat but still has that standard box design

What I can do is gather up sources and references related to this and post what I find.

The closest we'll ever get to an Iberian design and layout might come the Carthaginians or the Gauls because there is nothing about Iberian buildings anywhere that I'm aware of.

One thing you and myself both agree on, is the organic, thatchy, earthy appeal about them.

This is in Numantia(Numancia)

lol... What the hell am I looking at here??

Easy boys a good found is step by step. First be need found a Culture to have their buildings.( in google)

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tosal_de_San_Miguel

Is spanish and don't have a English version.

But show this pic about Edetia where are de Edetani, Edeta was destroy by Sertorius (Roman)

ixgqV9M.jpg

001.jpg

Edited by Lion.Kanzen