===[COMMITTED]=== Iberian Barracks

Stan`

Hello,

That's the basic layout we're looking for, but it needs to use the iberian struct texture: http://svn.wildfiregames.com/public/ps/trunk/binaries/data/mods/public/art/textures/skins/structural/iber_struct.png

You'll need to add details and props like shields and weapons too. You should take a look to the iberian buildings in-game to get an Idea of the artistic direction.

Also next time post front and back angles to judge better the model ;)

Yep! looking better. Keep detailing :)

The second shot is where the entrance will be, also in that place you can put some dummies where the soldiers "train" take a look at other barracks in the game.

Which program are you using to model and texture?

If you're able, you should import an existing barracks building into your 3D modelling software to get something as a scale reference (also doors, windows and such to be more or less adequate to the units size)

Keep it up!

Yep! looking better. Keep detailing :)

The second shot is where the entrance will be, also in that place you can put some dummies where the soldiers "train" take a look at other barracks in the game.

Which program are you using to model and texture?

If you're able, you should import an existing barracks building into your 3D modelling software to get something as a scale reference (also doors, windows and such to be more or less adequate to the units size)

Keep it up!

Hi =)

Added the entrance en the back, and the dummy

I'm using 3Dsmax, No texturing program yet since you gave me the UV ;)

I guess i should be able to import a model with the Dae plugin.

1386880859-iberianbarracksback2t.png

1386880823-iberianbarracksfront2.png

• Like 1

Hey Stan,

You should add more details, thicken up the roofs and make the walls a little bit taller overall, if you notice how tall the doors are and you compare with the walls on the sides you can see that the roof is very low on there. You might also keep in mind that the structure has to "extend" under the ground plane, so when the building is placed in uneven terrain, there are no parts floating.

Another suggestion would be if you can round some hard edges a little bit (not too rounded), that would make the structure look more interesting. And definitely needs more props: some weapons in holders or tables, more shields, some small windows in the front side (the first image)

Nice!, looking better. Try to get rid of the texture stretching in the roof borders. You should make something in the entrance to make it more interesting, maybe an open door showing the interior or something.

Falcata model is here http://svn.wildfiregames.com/public/ps/trunk/binaries/data/mods/public/art/meshes/props/weap_falcata_a.dae

Keep it up!

Nice!, looking better. Try to get rid of the texture stretching in the roof borders. You should make something in the entrance to make it more interesting, maybe an open door showing the interior or something.

Falcata model is here http://svn.wildfiregames.com/public/ps/trunk/binaries/data/mods/public/art/meshes/props/weap_falcata_a.dae

Keep it up!

Thank you

Anything else ?

1388185884-barracksv6-1.png

1388185883-barracksv6-2.png1388185875-barracksv6.png

EDIT : Updated with swords also Improved the cask texture.

1388237722-tonneauv1.png

1388237720-tonneauv2.png

1388237719-iberian-v7-back.png

Edited by stanislas69
  • Like 2

Shape looks good and textures too, but it looks too boring right now, there are like three or four walls that there's nothing there except a window.

I'd suggest to make some openings in one or two walls to show something in the inside of the structure to make it more interesting. Look at the current iberian barracks now.

I'd prefer also to make some (if not all) corners a little bit rounded, like the rest of the iberian buildings.

And for the textures, could you try to show some bricks at the bottom? If I remember correctly there are some bricks under the texture you used that could give the overal colors of the structure some contrast. This is used in a lot of the current buildings. Or maybe try to use the roof tile texture in the middle roof... (not sure if it will look good)

Overall, there's nothing wrong in your model, but since the player is able to place the structures in any angle, we need something interesting for the player to look at from every angle. And since we don't have concept artists in our pipeline, the modeler is the one in charge of the concept of the building which makes it harder than working from a concept in paper. That's why I am suggesting "add more detail" on every step (artistic freedom you could say :P).

• Like 1

Stanislas I think your best bet is to start again from scratch. Don't take the reference image too literally. Try to make a visually interesting structure while staying within the limits of the building template.

This building is very much a barracks, perhaps too rigid and "predictable"

try to suprise the audience ;)

Please don't take this the wrong way, starting over is much more fun than constantly editing a building that in all likelyhood won't work as well as it could.

maybe sketch out some different variations and show us, so we can spot any problems before you've put time into a model

• Like 2

Hi What about now ?

1388249763-barracks-v8-left.png

1388249751-barracks-v8-back.png

1388249752-barrackv8-right.png1388249753-barracks-v8-front.png

EDIT Variant @LordGood : Do you want something like that ?
According to the request for this building "

Iberians barracks structure. Needs new model. Should have a "cubic" feel like the iberians constructed. Should have the same footprint as the other civs barracks.

Prop pints: "garrisoned" and "projectile"

I can't really change the shape.

1388271782-barracks-variant.png

Edited by stanislas69
  • Like 1

Please don't take this the wrong way, starting over is much more fun than constantly editing a building that in all likelyhood won't work as well as it could.

maybe sketch out some different variations and show us, so we can spot any problems before you've put time into a model

Well I'm not offended though its hard after working for hours on a model to be asked to get rid of everything ;)

• Like 1

LordGood has been asked a few times to completely remodel some structures he made. Recently, with some Ptolemaic structures, they were even completely finished, and added to the game already.

Anyway, I do agree it's a bit too soft. You can do more with that footprint, like the wall in the Persian and Mauryan barracks. I, and probably many others, thought adding props would fix it, because it's hard to judge a bare building. But apparently, it stays too dull, so coming up with some new concepts might be better.

But thank you for working on this, I can't model, so I'm grateful for all contributed art.

Edit: that tower version actually isn't too bad, if it would resemble the style of the fortress towers a bit better. It makes the building a lot more interesting.

We've decided to get a different approach to the iberian barracks and we'll provide a new concept that reflects better the defensive nature of the Iberian civilization and will follow the layout of the persian and mauryan barracks. I'm sorry you worked hard on this one, but this things happens on the development. The concept will be posted soon.

We've decided to get a different approach to the iberian barracks and we'll provide a new concept that reflects better the defensive nature of the Iberian civilization and will follow the layout of the persian and mauryan barracks. I'm sorry you worked hard on this one, but this things happens on the development. The concept will be posted soon.

Okay, no problem.

• Like 1

Here's the concept Enrique, Micheal and I have agreed on

I know my sketches can be hard to read sometimes, so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask ;)

(Oh, and if you're having trouble with things like scale and you have public SVN, just download existing barracks models from the art folders and make them roughly the same size)

post-14999-0-23284500-1388707238_thumb.p