===[COMMITTED]=== Ptolemaic/Seleucid Helmet Props

Sighvatr

I also had in mind of creating a basic version of that helmet. If you take out the decorative details of the helmet, the crest and feathers: you get a very practical shaped helmet that is almost a cross between the medieval sallet helmet and the roman montefortino. Otherwise what you are attempting to imitate is that of a roman era artist's drawing of a macedonian officer's helmet in macedonia. Realistically, no army is going to have the time to produce all the luxuriously detailed helmets if they are to provide for an army. Two, soldiers may not want to spend the extra money for a detailed helmet in order to have what is required in the army assuming that the successor states proceeded to follow Alexander's requirements to be in the phalanx.

I also had in mind of creating a basic version of that helmet. If you take out the decorative details of the helmet, the crest and feathers: you get a very practical shaped helmet that is almost a cross between the medieval sallet helmet and the roman montefortino. Otherwise what you are attempting to imitate is that of a roman era artist's drawing of a macedonian officer's helmet in macedonia. Realistically, no army is going to have the time to produce all the luxuriously detailed helmets if they are to provide for an army. Two, soldiers may not want to spend the extra money for a detailed helmet in order to have what is required in the army assuming that the successor states proceeded to follow Alexander's requirements to be in the phalanx.

I did it on your input. :)

I also removed that orange thing on the first. Just too lazy to post another screenshot.

post-12287-0-55029000-1403608083_thumb.p

post-12287-0-24792500-1403608085_thumb.p

post-12287-0-33270500-1403608086_thumb.p

post-12287-0-26013000-1403608090_thumb.p

Officer Helmet2.7z

Edited by stanislas69
  • Like 1

stanislas69: Try limiting yourself to 1 or 2 colours that complement one another per helmet. The edges on some of those coloured areas look quite harsh, maybe that's just the screenshot? One other thing I spotted was the feather looks more detailed than the rest of the helmet - is that the case?

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice, well the reference itself had a lot of colors :

kolorowyp.jpg

About the feathers, that is just a middle trail with lines coming out, they are thinner than the big red thing, so they look more detailed. If you look at the texture in the zip they are not realy more detailed. Feathers are six flat polys About the coloration, well that's just gimp lasso, I guess I could improve it.

• Like 1

Now it doesn't have enough contrast in the crevases. Try to achieve the same contrast levels as the last helmet you made.

I'm not happy with the feather. checking the reference, it comes directly up, it does not bend backwards and then it's like a ponytail, similar to the cataphract helmet:

http://www.wildfiregames.com/~art/history/macedonians/antiochus-the-great.jpg

Another thing... The colors you're adding are painted directly in the texture, right? I think the feathers and maybe some of the colors you added should be playercolor, so it needs transparency on some of the colored areas. Having hard-painted colours in the helmet may lead to confusing player owner.

I'll try, nevertheless lines don't have the same contrast, so some disapear, and I have to tweak it also to make the sure the texture isn't black. I don't see how to do the feathers though. It'll be hard to put alpha instead of lines,And since I have to remodel them, I guess I should being that dirty vertex again right ?

I think it would be nice to add the feather as a prop and make it a decal. That way we could make the top feather a plane and have a full-detail texture which could look nice. (though if we looked from straight front it may be invisible, therefore we could loop cut CTRL+R + Moving mouse over edges to halfen the plane and bend it a bit, such that it is visible from all directions despite its thinness)

And it would save you the hassle, Stan.

Your helmets are coming along better and better. Only that top feather is missing and it's another helmet that is done.