===[COMMITTED]=== Ptolemaic/Seleucid Helmet Props

Sighvatr

• 3 months later...

Just had a look at the helmets they look nice, but like mine they have no symmetry modifier, should I change their topology to split them in half ? Moreover they look a bit highpoly can you confirm that ? I will then try to use the method you showed in your videos, to save up some time to the team :)

Here you are, they're all in the same blend file. The last of them is a cool high poly helmet (from Sighvatr I guess, I didn't noticed it the first time I checked :) ). You could make a low-poly and add it too, just for the sake of it :P.

ptol_helmets rework.zip

I just removed some quick faces and made them all symmetric, but the polycount wasn't so high, I haven't saved much triangles, you can compare with the old ones if you are curious

Stan opens the blendfile and look around for other helmets.... Takes him a while to see they are on different layers X)

I'll try when I start working on them. There are some extra parts on the first one is that intended ? That little bar going down that is hidden by default.

Great news. Once I figure out that AO and bump thing I'll start.

• Like 1

I just forgot to delete that part, is from the old mesh, I just remade that part and made it separated, so its easier to handle and has less tris.

You can rename the helmets and append them from a new blend file if you prefer having them in separate files:

Just create new file and go to the menu => File -> Append -> navigate to the blendfile where the helmets are -> select the object directory and there you can see all the objects in that blend file, you can append the ones you want.

I just like to work several things on the same file that have some relation using layers (a file for helmets, a file for shields, etc)

Here is the helmet. Since you don't show how you finish with the texture on the videos, I assumed you just have to tweak the textures on gimp, that's why I gave you all my textures.

Why don't you try at least?

I mean, it's the easiest part, you use the color base texture, and apply the AO map and dirty vertex color map with multiply blend mode. You can also do it without leaving blender, just adding all the textures in the helmet, create a new texture, and bake all the textures applied into the new one created.

I didn't upload the last video because it gave me an error twice and it's 6gb, and since the procedure is pretty basic GIMP usage, I didn't try again to upload.

I'm uploading it again now if you need it to finish the texture....

EDIT:

Here's the base texture I used for the helmets:

http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18347&p=286268

Hmm... That's a reakky stupid reason... I just thought my helmet sucked... So you would as always pick up you magic wand and fix it... Anyway, I'll finish it.

About the video haven't you heard of avidemux ? It's pretty easy to use and transforms a 10GB video into something like 200Mo

Just a tip, to avoid the faceting seen in the normal map, you just triangulate the mesh before baking it. Good practice is to save the blend file then triangulate the mesh, the bake image and reload the blend file to keep only quads.

Generally, triangulating before any kind of baking from highpoly to lowpoly gets better results in the image baked.