===[COMMITTED]=== Ptolemaic/Seleucid Helmet Props

Sighvatr

The Ptolemaic Agema helmet that I can only find in Enrique's reference and no where else on the internet.

Spoiler

ptolemaic_helm_2_zpsb5192135.jpg

My interpretation of the helmet worn on the soldier to the left of the man carrying the horn on the Nile mosaic.

Spoiler

ptol_helm_1_zpsc8bbfcc7.jpg

Some sort of kettle hat shown on the Sidon Stelai

Spoiler

ptol_helm_3_zps463b454a.jpg

The Thracian Cap from references

Spoiler

thracian_cap_example_zpsb9d942b0.jpg

Successor Officer Helmet from reference

Spoiler

thracian_cap_zpscb416d26.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks, but I like to interpret the archaelogical findings and art from the timeperiod rather than copy off another modern day artist.

I totally understand ;). The guy "AndyMoszejevsky" seems to be historian, maybe he says interesting stuff.

http://gehennum.wikidot.com/helmet

e0007697_47a051bf29e37.jpg

Oh check out the links in the first post

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?549018-PTOLEMAIC-EGYPT-units-roster

Edited by stanislas69

• 4 weeks later...

General reminder: Please import a "head" from the game to make sure the helmet modeled fits, otherwise they will need to be manually tweaked. It also helps to make screenshots of the helmet on the head to see how it fits.

Stan, about the texture keep in mind that the vast majority of the helmets in the game use a 64x64 texture, the latest ones are 128x128. Keep that in mind when making the texture, a lot of the details you added on your last screenshot will probably not be seen at all.

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/05/1391110735-thracian-helmets.jpg

Nice! Look for the Dude_head.dae file to resize

General reminder: Please import a "head" from the game to make sure the helmet modeled fits, otherwise they will need to be manually tweaked. It also helps to make screenshots of the helmet on the head to see how it fits.

Stan, about the texture keep in mind that the vast majority of the helmets in the game use a 64x64 texture, the latest ones are 128x128. Keep that in mind when making the texture, a lot of the details you added on your last screenshot will probably not be seen at all.

I know, well i didn't knew it would be minecraft like though, but I wanted to practise texturing from scratch. I can Upload the full res texture if you wanna see.

1391110735-thracian-helmets.jpg

With Dude =)

1391111167-dude-heads.jpg

The models fails to import in blender =(

From "How to import/export assets..." tutorial:

1.- Import the mesh into blender3D

Inside blender, remove the starting cube, camera and point light....

[...]

If blender shows an error importing:

Spoiler

Open the .dae file that is throwing the error with notepad or another text editor and erase everything between </asset> and <library_geometries> (do not remove those labels, just the text in between) and try to import again

From "How to import/export assets..." tutorial:

Sorry for not remembering this, anyway there was nothing betweens those two things so....

EDIT : Finally succeeded to import the head from the latest beard model on svn, it seemed that import units unchecked prevented me from importing. Oh, and by the way this the right head on the images, just that i also imported torso with it.

Edited by stanislas69

Seleucid Roman helmets doesn't look bad, they just need some work on the texture (scratches, some contrast, worn dirt) and reduce the polys on the haired crest,

Thracian helmets are too highpoly, considering that one helmet alone has the more triangles that the current unit meshes we use. (sketchfab says all three helmets have 1.4k triangles divided by 3 they're something around 466 tris each)

Yep, better. The edge detail you removed can be added as texture detail to fake it.

Regarding the textures, you can check how are the current ones made. Example: http://svn.wildfiregames.com/public/ps/trunk/binaries/data/mods/public/art/textures/skins/props/helmet/mace_c.dds

You can use 128x128 if you are going to add nice looking details. (or even use existing ones and map your helmets to existing textures)

Also the thracian ones seem to not be using the whole texture space?

Yep, better. The edge detail you removed can be added as texture detail to fake it.

Regarding the textures, you can check how are the current ones made. Example: http://svn.wildfiregames.com/public/ps/trunk/binaries/data/mods/public/art/textures/skins/props/helmet/mace_c.dds

You can use 128x128 if you are going to add nice looking details. (or even use existing ones and map your helmets to existing textures)

Also the thracian ones seem to not be using the whole texture space?

Yup by using a bump though I don't know to do this. Maybe AO and then bump out of it ?

About scratches and stuff, I'm not good at all to do this kind of stuff, because finitions come after whatever i have ever had to do.

Yup I need to fix this UV...

Yup by using a bump though I don't know to do this. Maybe AO and then bump out of it ?

About scratches and stuff, I'm not good at all to do this kind of stuff, because finitions come after whatever i have ever had to do.

Yup I need to fix this UV...

A (relatively) easy way to do so is by creating a (very) high poly mesh and then bake a normal map (=bump) from it. That normal map is used for the low poly model.

Some basic info:

http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/Normal_Map_Tutorial.html

• Like 1