niektb

Time to revive the topic:

To list the full building set:

Longhouse (improved version of the house)

Jarl's Hold (combination of CC and Fortress)

Farmstead (merged with corral)

Tavern (Barrack merged with Tavern, where you also can train Berserkers)

Dock

Farmfield

Palisades (Improved, stronger versions of the standard palisade) (since Vikings don't have stone walls)

Outpost (stronger version, since the Vikings don't have Defence Towers)

Storehouse

Market

Sacred Groove (Temple)

Did I forgot something?

Edit: added two buildings.

Edit2: added Sacred Groove.

Edited by niektb

Great list. Fewer buildings makes the vikings unique. Wasn't a shipwreck planned as dock. Or a ship unpackable as CC. (=> Jarl's Hold for inland CC, Ship for shoreline CC)

How big should each building be? It looks like we have few historical references for the footprint size of the outpost/tower?

Wow, nice going guys. BTW, Stan (and Rada) = what do you think of adding the picture at the beginning of this thread to the home screen in the game? I could also dig up some other public domain photos and edit them. The game really seems to miss them (especially since RoTE has some very nice ones on the home screen).

Wow, nice going guys. BTW, Stan (and Rada) = what do you think of adding the picture at the beginning of this thread to the home screen in the game? I could also dig up some other public domain photos and edit them. The game really seems to miss them (especially since RoTE has some very nice ones on the home screen).

Yeah we need one thst is in public domain or make own. First I want to imitate textures from AoK or AoE 3 wood and Iron textures

But the background is the most hard to think whst can be good or appropriated may be a landscape and a Village but we don't have a drawer you know an Illustrator.

They had indeed tiles, but I think it was only further in their development. I got a sugestion, how about we change the roof texture every stage, so they player gets a sensation he's evolving on time? We could start off with turf roof on stage one (all Icelandic constructions by that time had turf covering), move to straw in stage two and finally adopting tiles in the final stage? Something like in AoE.

Just something quick thatt came to my mind: how about making two Viking factions, later on, like 0AD has two celtic factions? They'd be Icelandic Vikings and Scandinavian Vilings.