niektb

Okay, now two things, Your texture is again not transparent. So I give mine which is also fixed. I'll move the props. Viking_struct.7z

I'll also add The whole project. I think I'm done with it =) When I will have finished all the others project, I may be free for you again. Longhouse-Final.7z

I think I know why it's was not transparent again. I should have merged the layers before exporting it.

And what about the campfire?

Thanks for all your work, Stan.

Edited by niektb

Ok, we need use towers from Britons as templates because when investigate about historic towers of England the Normandy styles is very similar to Brytonic one.

Or Gothic style (artistically I called them gothic because gothic is word from all German influence over Roman style) like Romanistic is in Italy and Spain.

2hTFMn2.jpg

This have more Brytonic Normand style. This more early.

I can show some more Romano-Germanic, if you want see it.

I love the history of art.

If you search with Viking tower. Are very similar.

LWWPVQ6.jpg

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

At first I thought this was a viking settlement, but definitely it's Norman:

Observation-tower-Lincoln-Center.jpg

Those could make some good props for viking units:

tara%20brooch.jpg

Screen%20shot%202010-03-29%20at%206.42.5

The tower shown on your screeny perhaps looked like that and could be of colonial origin. Scientists argue about the origin, whether it was norsk/viking or norman or colonial ... (it's been built in North America).

warwickshire.gif

On this site there are many more viking portraits and other knights too:

Viking_Invasion_Sketches_04_by_Loren86.j

Another amazing artworks:

fantasy-castle-tower-nidlongdir-2011.jpg

post-15921-0-14127000-1392250451_thumb.j

For viking ships there is a blender model around ... I have it somewhere ...

okay, did not find it. But I found other 3D community models:

a fisher's hut, post-15921-0-91093800-1392250392_thumb.p

deer,

giraffe,

jaguar,

many kinds of fish,

frog,

ant,

insects,

spider,

squid,

dolphin,

butterfly,

furthermore blender can generate trees like willows using tree sapling addon. Do we need any of this?

And what about OSL - is there Open Shading Language support like in the blender engine? Would save us a ton of texture work eventually .. though I don't know at all if OSL is preferable in all cases? Any input on that?

At first I thought this was a viking settlement, but definitely it's Norman:

Observation-tower-Lincoln-Center.jpg

Those could make some good props for viking units:

tara%20brooch.jpg

Screen%20shot%202010-03-29%20at%206.42.5

The tower shown on your screeny perhaps looked like that and could be of colonial origin. Scientists argue about the origin, whether it was norsk/viking or norman or colonial ... (it's been built in North America).

warwickshire.gif

On this site there are many more viking portraits and other knights too:

Viking_Invasion_Sketches_04_by_Loren86.j

Another amazing artworks:

fantasy-castle-tower-nidlongdir-2011.jpg

history--0ad--viking__buildings_characters_scythian_princess_last_right.jpg

For viking ships there is a blender model around ... I have it somewhere ...

okay, did not find it. But I found other 3D community models:

a fisher's hut, 11.png

deer,

giraffe,

jaguar,

many kinds of fish,

frog,

ant,

insects,

spider,

squid,

dolphin,

butterfly,

furthermore blender can generate trees like willows using tree sapling addon. Do we need any of this?

And what about OSL - is there Open Shading Language support like in the blender engine? Would save us a ton of texture work eventually .. though I don't know at all if OSL is preferable in all cases? Any input on that?

As far as I know, no support for OSL. Still, GLSL is supported.

Oh, no problem. No rush required. Just thought it would make things easier but am not even sure about it.

Yes, blender supports it since some releases .. perhaps we can inspire and reuse their implementation if the licenses of pyrogenesis and blender are compatibel. I guess thay are, but it's just a guess. Anyone knows more on this? And is it useful?

Then we could pre-define <material></material> in 0 A.D. e.g. for skin, face, banner, flags, animals, wall types, roofs, grass, ... would save tons of textures (less memory required) but CPU requirements may increase? Blender community has already created/programmed really useful OSL setups/nodes so that really would be a quicker if we knew how or if it's possible to combine textures and OSL in pyrogenesis.

And we have to clarify if it makes sense - I'm only guessing with half-knowledge. :)

Sadly the tower images you posted Lion are Irish Round Towers. Nothing Viking at all. The reason you found them is because in most descriptions it was stated that the Irish took refuge in them (for the Viking raiders).

hmm ok. But its more like like romans but cylindrical. Many of this have very roman/German influence.

I couldn't find really vikingish towers (Did they even build them?)

Viking15_zpscdf6f99d.jpg

I could only find these specific viking fortresses. Let's do this for the Jarl's Hold. Agreed? (Perhaps a simplfied, smaller -that is with less buildings and less walls- version?)

Edited by niektb

IIRC, there were also no references of Gallic or Briton defense towers. But they were just added for the gameplay.

If you make towers less important in your game (I don't think they were very important in the medieval times after all), you can just let them out for this faction.

You don't need to follow 0AD's list of default entities.

"Saxons and Vikings on the battlefield..." how hard it is to see any difference between them, indeed!

Thanks for the flickr link. Some nice eastern armors.

Is this in Hungary? Also, what is Baranta? This place's name or as I found on Wiki, a martial art or criminal (raiding) activity?

Edited by Rodmar

The fortress looks interesting, no towers though. Perhaps they really didn't have towers like sander meant and the image nietkd posted implies ...

Some kind of viking towers have been found ... I posted some images above (but there also false friends are in). hough the scientists are not always sure themselves.

Those rims around the palisades 'd be nice ...

I found some blender models (so they are to use), textures included:

beowulf71_viking_acc_medium_08f9839fe0e8

xanahl_lowpolymale_medium_a72faa58e5c109

veque_veque_extraclothing_vikinghelmet_m

tomipalombo_casco_medium_758144d9aa88069

matpiet_renderimage29_medium_3a095feba97

Source: http://www.blendswap.com/blends/search?term=viking

So we have to model a female ... or rather take the model of other civ, introduce some changes to give it a viking look and k too similarhange the texture only?

Currently all civs' citizens still too similar I think. Couldn't we add scale factor that gives the mesh a little bit of variation? Some taller warriors - others more squeezed. This would have a significant effect on the feel of 0 A.D. don't ya tink?

Edited by Hephaestion

"Saxons and Vikings on the battlefield..." how hard it is to see any difference between them, indeed!

It's hard to believe that military commanders of the past did not know that too subtle differences between opposing forces might endanger battle efficiency. So they of course came up with solutions that modern reenactments simply drop?

A reason could be that they fear a flame war and incompatibilty as the fighting groups might be coupled loosely nowadays - whereas in foreign times the poor had to serve their lord and this was fixed until death. Imagine how ourkind should settle on a banner colour and how we should achieve to colour them all equally - while the fighters actually come from across the globe. It'd require some form of organzation and expenses I think the reenacters of military battles can't afford.

I wonder If they perhaps leave the colours out because they don't focus on military effectiveness but rather want to enjoy the total chaos? (they don't want to kill each other, in the contrary they even have to be darn careful that nothing worse happens ... so without colours the dampened actions might be cooler? )

Edited by Hephaestion

Partially. In fact the social structure was quite complex:

According to Thurston (cited below), Viking social structure had its origins with the warlords, called drott, an established figure in Scandinavian society by the late 2nd century. The drott was primarily a social institution, resulting of a pattern of behavior in which warriors selected the most adept leader and pledged fealty to him.

The drott was an ascribed title of respect, not an inherited one; and these roles were separate from the regional chieftains or petty kings.

http://archaeology.about.com/od/vikings/qt/viking_social_structure.htm

The chieftain role was inherited from father to son. A free man could choose in whose district he wanted to live. For the warlords see above.

http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/society/text/laws.htm

@Hephaestion: Could you get a copy of the uppermost models?

Jarl's Hold

Class: Civic Center, Fortress

I suppose using a resized version of this one, with less buildings and less walls:

frttgh.jpg

trelDSCN3583.jpg

trelleborg_oppe.jpg

We can re-use the longhouse but with stone foundations as an addition.

Edited by niektb

Could you get a copy of the uppermost models?

Yes, here they are. (but blendswap is cool, they are non-commercial, actually only blenderartists that put up that server)

By adccident I couldn't download the last one (65 MB and bandwidth per month is limited around 150 MB)... the only condition is credit for all of them. Can use it anywhere in your own scenes, renders, 0 A.D. .. can adapt it rework it, change, you know all is allowed as long as it's noncommercial besides that one that is even free to use for commercial purposes according to its CC-ZERO license:

izuzf_vikinghelmetfinalrend_medium_85c41

viking--veque_extraclothing_vikinghelmet.zip

viking--helmet--artist_tomipalombo.zip

13523_viking_props_blend.zip

27058_vikingrar.zip

cc-zero-license_vikinghelmet.zip