niektb

By the way, you could search the Internet for more inspirational sources with keywords such as "gammal/gammel gård", "forngård", "hembygd" (wich mean "old/ancient farm" and "patrimonial (association)").

Many old wooden houses (farms) and dependences (lofts, granaries, dryers, forges, mills (water or animal-powered), barns, stores, cowsheds, pigsties, dairies...) have been dismantled and rebuilt in open air museums throughout Sweden. Most of these buildings are from before the 18th century.

One such museum of fame is Zorn's Gammalgård in Mora, on Siljan Lake's shore in Dalarna (western central Sweden).

One of the houses is dated back from the 14th century (Vikings are not far away!). Dendrochronology even dates one beam back to 1231 A.D.

At 0:21, well without any drum: only a giant beam to lower the bucket.

Also, you can see the general layout of a big farm, with the building around a courtyard (until 1:00).

At 2:48, two long storehouses to shelter well... longboats during winter time. Given the number of oars, I believe the largest boat was a seasonal transport or ferry boat to be used on the nearby lake.

Also, you can see typical Swedish fence made out of birch branches.

Another place of interest would be the well known Skansen in Stockholm, first open air museum (1891).

Being national, at Skansen, you can see several villages from many regions, including a Sami village.

At 25:20, a farm from the same Mora region, with the birch fences, the courtyard, the "beamed well", ...

At 27:00, you can see that sheds had the same general shape as other buildings. Note that on irregular terrain, "crude" stones (not walls) were used to build a base on top of which the wooden structure was erected.

At 27:35 (I believe) a rich sami interior with stone floor and central hearth. A mere hole in the roof stands for a chimney.

At 28:00, a Sami seasonal camp. (with a "high" granary)

I've implemented the vikings civ file (atop of the gauls and not really finished yet though), added the music and reworked the warship into a real longboat!

I'll do a commit into the github repo.

As you probably can see, the boat is way too large and lacks a lot of eye-candy / props (any volunteers to change that?). Still my thanks go to the art team for creating this one long ago.

post-15513-0-54367800-1390215978_thumb.p

post-15513-0-72032700-1390215993_thumb.p

post-15513-0-04429700-1390216011_thumb.p

• Like 1

Vikings and Germanic tribes do, Arabs as well (though no wooden). Romans did only partially (perhaps not wood but metal). (Only Normans, if they are going to be included, didn't really use rounded shields, except perhaps bowmen.

If you think you need 3D renders then use it. For me it's not necessary, though.

Vikings and Germanic tribes do, Arabs as well (though no wooden). Romans did only partially (perhaps not wood but metal). (Only Normans, if they are going to be included, didn't really use rounded shields, except perhaps bowmen.

If you think you need 3D renders then use it. For me it's not necessary, though.

For shields metal Boders and the center.

That shield isn't valid for use as it wouldn't adjust to the player's color. Better use a (rounded) shield from the celts or so.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the roof should be a little thicker as it is a hay roof. Next you should create some stuff with alpha texture to see the player's color.

Edited by niektb

That shield isn't valid for use as it wouldn't adjust to the player's color. Better use a (rounded) shield from the celts or so.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the roof should be a little thicker as it is a hay roof. Next you should create some stuff with alpha texture to see the player's color.

Thickened the roof =)

What do you see for player props ? I could remove the red from the shield, and make it translucent also add flags, but i don't see what I could change else of that ?

Thickened the roof =)

What do you see for player props ? I could remove the red from the shield, and make it translucent also add flags, but i don't see what I could change else of that ?

Perhaps those sticks at the rooftop and the roof borders?

Oh yeah, I see you rotated the shield (I added a directional light while creating that shield and it looks as if the light comes from below) :yes3:

Lastly, could you make the roof borders straight by adding planks? (like the second picture in the first post above)

Edited by niektb