niektb

I would like to move on to the emblem, if there are no other comments:

I think it's best suited to use a viking shield as emblem. Personally I do prefer the colors red and black, and a swirl. A symbol painted on the shield could be an option.

wooden-viking-shield-painted-brown-black

shield.jpg

Edited by niektb
  • Like 1

The Vikings were of old inhabitants of the Scandinavian Peninsula. During the early Middle Ages their regions expanded to Russia, England, Iceland and Greenland. They even discovered the New World before Columbus did. Though feared for their fighting skills, they were also skilled traders and sailors. At the end of the so called Viking Age, which lasted from 793 AD to 1066 AD, their raids on the mainland faded, nonetheless they have left their mark on Europian history.

Does anyone has comment / additions / enhancements (also linguistic)?

I made a few linguistic changes. If you don't think it sounds better you don't have to use it...

The Vikings of old were a north Germanic people who hailed from Scandinavia. During the early Middle Ages their regions expanded to Russia, England, Iceland and Greenland. They traveled to as far as Asia to the New World nearly 500 years before Columbus. Though feared for their fighting skills, they were also skilled traders and sailors. By the end of the Viking Age, which lasted from 793-1066 AD, their raids on the mainland faded, nonetheless they have left their mark on European culture and history.

Well, in-game it didn't look really well:

I think it's because it doesn't really fit. The shield looks very new, though it should be a bit weary (I should add some kind of 3D / material effect)

post-15513-0-99940400-1386866669_thumb.p

Edit: But I think the shield mostly needs a decent border.

Edit:

It definitely looks better, though I'm going to add a different border:

post-15513-0-48100800-1386869139_thumb.p

Edited by niektb

Some photoshopping brought me this:

attachicon.gifShield.png

How would it fit as an emblem?

P.S.

Is anybody able to clone / does someone has a self-made clone of this one? (I'm not sure if it's allowed to use this, as it is from a webshop.)

you can use illustrator or other Vectorial to do the Pattern, for the still/iron I recommend use Blender and Rendering and after that use Photoshop or similar. And find a symbol to put over the pattern.

EpgAE5M.jpg

The last of them or 3 last of them. It's for me the best.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

you can use illustrator or other Vectorial to do the Pattern, for the still/iron I recommend use Blender and Rendering and after that use Photoshop or similar. And find a symbol to put over the pattern.

The last of them or 3 last of them. It's for me the best.

I recognize the last one as Thor's hammer. :sword_rune:

excuseme, but:

* are you remixing the gaul faction with "viking" emblem??

* hoy you can the name

Alpha XV Osiris???'

i only get

custom build

That the new of new Alpha 15.

Yeah, for do a new civ you need work over a similar, see Seleucids. When I was started Egyptian faction in my mod. Don't start from nothing, we start from Persia Civ.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Thanks to blender I decided to let the emblem as it is now.

Let's move up to the next step: unique technologies and (team) bonuses.

We should think what we should make researchable and what already owned at start.

I have some ideas myself. We should do something with boats e.g. improved speed. We should do something as well with their raiding tactics e.g. additional damage to buildings etc.

Edited by niektb

I have some ideas myself. We should do something with boats e.g. improved speed. We should do something as well with their raiding tactics e.g. additional damage to buildings etc.

Certainly do a lot with boats. They had the fastest ships, and used them for trading and war. So probably also a sea trading bonus? For their plundering, what about a technology that enlarges the loot they get from killed soldiers.

Some other nice thing, their ship could be made a resource droppoint. Which would be nice on island maps. Just garrison some units on a ship, and plunder all resources off the island without building a single structure.

Certainly do a lot with boats. They had the fastest ships, and used them for trading and war. So probably also a sea trading bonus? For their plundering, what about a technology that enlarges the loot they get from killed soldiers.

Some other nice thing, their ship could be made a resource droppoint. Which would be nice on island maps. Just garrison some units on a ship, and plunder all resources off the island without building a single structure.

Nice ideas!

I'm thinking of the following:

Every viking warrior (citizen-soldiers only) who destroys / assists in destroying a building (not units in order to prevent turtles) receives a certain amount of 'loot' (resources) in their inventory, which they can drop at a longboat, a mobile dropsite.

A technology could be to improve the amount of loot received. About the exact abilities / skills a unit has: we should discuss that in the next stage of this proposal (but I think it's best to keep the regulars/citizen-soldiers swift, not to strong and with abilities like mentioned above. The champion soldiers should be stronger, but without special abilities to keep the game balanced)

Ah, I didn't know that. Well, than a technology would be to improve that. Longboat should still be a mobile dropsite.

How should we call the technology? Advanced plundering? :acute:

I also suggest that the vikings receive more wood and less food at startup to give their navy a boost. Furthermore I suggest a technology that improves sailing speed, but I have no idea for a good name.

Edited by niektb
  • Like 1

Interesting, I never thought about a technology that enlarges initial stuff.

Someone did though, see: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/TechModifications :) Would be a really nice thing to have that kind of ability I'd say.

ResourceSupply/Amount Change the supply of a resource, like farms or mines. Imagine a mining tech that "gives new life" to "exhausted" mines by increasing their amount of Metal or Stone.