Example Rise of Nations

Empire Earth 2 https://soundcloud.com/soundmakerl/fx-research-complete

2 marvel has started.
3 marvel is finished.

https://soundcloud.com/soundmakerl/wondercomplete

4 Technology research complete

Rise of Nations https://soundcloud.com/soundmakerl/u-i-sound-1

Empire Earth 2 https://soundcloud.com/soundmakerl/fx-research-complete

5 "Not enough resoruces" sound when trying to train/build something.

6 Sound for minimap flares (flares not implemented yet

7 Mine depleted" sound.

8"Healing unit" sound.

9 "Animal captured"/"unit converted" sound

10 "Hero unit trained" / "Hero unit death" sounds

11 "Battle noise sounds" <--- This could make a great addition to mid/big fights (people shouts, swords/armor hit sounds)

12 More (and better) unit death sounds

https://soundcloud.com/soundmakerl/womandeath1

13 Diplomacy : Sound for diplomatic changes and tributes received

https://soundcloud.com/soundmakerl/fx-feedback-diplomacy

14 Trading rout complete.(more soft or may bediscrete)

https://soundcloud.com/soundmakerl/fx-feedback-trade-complete

- Notification sound for resigned/defeated player

- Sound for chat messages (I miss chat messages while in-game often)

- Error sound for trying to build where is not allowed -- "Ang!" type of sound or something.

)

- Gate lock/unlock (I think they're already in-game?)

- Animal deaths / sounds (a lot of them are currently missing)

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

Hi LAVS, glad to see someone working on sounds!

I'm going to give you a list, but I don't know if all of them are going to be needed/can be implemented, just to throw some ideas that can be discussed:

-Technology research complete

- "Not enough resoruces" sound when trying to train/build something.

- New phase reached. (But I think the plans are having different sound tracks for each phase, not sure though. But a sound for each phase also would be nice to have)

- "Mine depleted" sound.

- "Healing unit" sound.

- "Animal captured"/"unit converted" sound

- "Hero unit trained" / "Hero unit death" sounds

- "Battle noise sounds" <--- This could make a great addition to mid/big fights (people shouts, swords/armor hit sounds)

- More (and better) unit death sounds

That's all I can think of right now. We also need more/new building selection/construction sounds, but I'm not at home right now and I cannot remember which are needed, but I think there's a post in the forums somewhere.... I'll try to find it and edit this post with a link.

EDIT: More entries to the list gathered from this thread: http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17313

- Notification sound for resigned/defeated player

- Sound for chat messages (I miss chat messages while in-game often)

- Sound for diplomatic changes and tributes received.

- Error sound for trying to build where is not allowed -- "Ang!" type of sound or something.

- Sound for minimap flares (flares not implemented yet)

- Gate lock/unlock (I think they're already in-game?)

- Animal deaths / sounds (a lot of them are currently missing)

And finally:

- Ambient sounds. Big section here (wind blowing cycle, water on rocks, water on river, crickets, birds...)

As you can see it's a long run, If you think it's neccesary, I could try to maintain a Sound task tacking thread updated like the art one, I'll just need some time to make a full precise list of what is needed.

• Like 1

I think each building should play soft ambient sound loops when in view of the camera. It would be really cool to hear chanting from the temples, drilling from the barracks, and crowd noises from the markets and town centers.

I would enjoy hearing the army shouts.

IIRC, we will have to add some code for that. Currently, it's not possible to have positioned and looping sound. As once you start a positioned sound, it keeps playing until it stops, even if you move away before that point. This way, if you once hoovered a market, you will keep hearing market sound.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Team,

I have the first draft for battle sounds ready:

Please check it and share your feedback. If everybody like it, I will split the sequence to make it interactive. I decide to upload it to youtube because it seems easier for everybody, any suggestion is welcome.

If somebody is curious about the workflow and sources, drop me a message!

• Like 4

Is this one sound loop, or is it a combination of small sounds? I hope it's the latter, because we want sounds to sounds real. Like an attack shout when the unit is running etc.

If those are small sounds, it's also important that they're tried in game. F.e. units don't run that often, so the charge shout can be made more prominent etc.

I like how the battle sounds. I'm just worried if it's going to sound the same way in the game too.

Is this one sound loop, or is it a combination of small sounds? I hope it's the latter, because we want sounds to sounds real. Like an attack shout when the unit is running etc.

If those are small sounds, it's also important that they're tried in game. F.e. units don't run that often, so the charge shout can be made more prominent etc.

I like how the battle sounds. I'm just worried if it's going to sound the same way in the game too.

Hi Sander, thanks for cheking. This a whole piece of sound created from the 'loops' that will be working in the game.

Just cheking if you like the texture of the sound and else.

If everybody agree, I will start creating each loop for diferent moments in battle.

Also, I think we should create different battle sounds for each culture, adding proper horns, weapons and so on. Let me know what you think guys.

ambient battle sounds are going to be amazing, these sound great!

Hi Lord Good. Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi Sander, thanks for cheking. This a whole piece of sound created from the 'loops' that will be working in the game.

Just cheking if you like the texture of the sound and else.

If everybody agree, I will start creating each loop for diferent moments in battle.

Also, I think we should create different battle sounds for each culture, adding proper horns, weapons and so on. Let me know what you think guys.

Hi Lord Good. Thanks!

Great news :D

How you doing with others? "Age Passing" for example.

I think it's a nice start! This will make battles more visceral :)

I hope it can be played very low from zoomed-out position, and more loud when zoomed in the battle zone.

Right now in my opinion it's "filling" too much, considering that the current fight sounds will be played too during the battle, but it sounds nice (I know it's a mix of loop sounds and they will be separated).

I only found out of place some squash sounds which sounded more cartoony IMO.

Since the "battle music" is triggered by calculating the amount of damage that is being dealt in that moment, we may have different level of "busy" or "violent" levels adding more loops to the mix depending on how much damage is being dealt too. I don't really know if this is possible to achive but it might be good to know how these can be implemented.

Keep it up LAVS!

On a side note, my opinion about the sounds priority would be chat messages, "not enough resources" sound, and in resume, all the notifications that requires players' awareness (but battle sounds are so cool! :P)

I hope it can be played very low from zoomed-out position, and more loud when zoomed in the battle zone.

Right now in my opinion it's "filling" too much, considering that the current fight sounds will be played too during the battle, but it sounds nice (I know it's a mix of loop sounds and they will be separated).

I only found out of place some squash sounds which sounded more cartoony IMO.

Since the "battle music" is triggered by calculating the amount of damage that is being dealt in that moment, we may have different level of "busy" or "violent" levels adding more loops to the mix depending on how much damage is being dealt too. I don't really know if this is possible to achive but it might be good to know how these can be implemented.

I would think it's best if it replaces some/most of the existing fight sounds when there is a large fight, something along the lines of this old idea for the sound system: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Intensity_%26_Priority I don't know how much/if anything of that is implemented in the sound system, we'd have to ask Stephen about that, but I definitely think that having ambient battle sounds + attack sounds for all units + battle music would be too much. Having something like this would be great though, and more of it for more units. Or more damage dealt, but imho if it's possible to have it be per the amount of units fighting rather than the damage dealt would be nice as many units fighting would make a lot of noise even if not a lot of damage is dealt. While on the other hand even a couple of siege engines might deal a lot of damage, but shouldn't cause as much battle sounds imho :) On the other hand I'm not sure how often such a situation should occur though as it would be suicide to send in just siege engines without any protection :P

I would think it's best if it replaces some/most of the existing fight sounds when there is a large fight, something along the lines of this old idea for the sound system: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Intensity_%26_Priority I don't know how much/if anything of that is implemented in the sound system, we'd have to ask Stephen about that, but I definitely think that having ambient battle sounds + attack sounds for all units + battle music would be too much. Having something like this would be great though, and more of it for more units. Or more damage dealt, but imho if it's possible to have it be per the amount of units fighting rather than the damage dealt would be nice as many units fighting would make a lot of noise even if not a lot of damage is dealt. While on the other hand even a couple of siege engines might deal a lot of damage, but shouldn't cause as much battle sounds imho :) On the other hand I'm not sure how often such a situation should occur though as it would be suicide to send in just siege engines without any protection :P

Yep, having it per the amount of units fighting (if possible) is the best solution here. I don't really like the idea of replacing the current "per hit" sounds... if they're going to have the same level of audio intensity, they will be "mimetized" with the ambient battle loop. About the siege engines.. you're right, but if we keep the current sounds, they may be excluded from the count of units to trigger the ambient fight sounds.

Great sounds this is going too be awesome. are those sounds planned for alpha 15 or 16?

Alpha 15 will be out soon... so these new sounds will not make it until alpha16, but they will be available in SVN version as soon as they're finished.

I don't really like the idea of replacing the current "per hit" sounds... if they're going to have the same level of audio intensity, they will be "mimetized" with the ambient battle loop.

Isn't that an argument for replacing them with more intense/multiple "hits in one sound" though? That they will "get lost" among the battle sounds. Either way, the main argument for me is that currently it's very annoying to hear a ton of the same sound being played at the same time, it doesn't sound good, and while it certainly gives a sense of chaos it's more of chaos in the "I don't want to listen to this" way than "this sounds like a battle" way ;)

• Like 2

IIRC, we will have to add some code for that. Currently, it's not possible to have positioned and looping sound. As once you start a positioned sound, it keeps playing until the file ends, even if you move away before that point. This way, if you once hoovered a market, you will keep hearing market sound.

As I mentioned before. Looping sounds are global (so always heard, even if you're not focusing on the battle).

If you want local sounds, they have to be rather short, and happen only once. But there needs to be enough variation.

We can set up a different short sound for every action you can think of (like something the guys shout when you order to attack, when they run to a new target, when they're hit by a certain weapon ...). Currently, every action will cause a sound, though you can add variation by including different sound files. You also need to take into account that generally, multiple sounds will play together (if you order 10 units to attack), but with a few ms delay.

I think we should complete that code a bit by including frequencies for those sounds (currently, every variation of the sound is played equally often), so it would be nice if only one hit in 10 will cause an "auch", and the others will just be "kling".

EDIT: if someone is interested in adding frequencies to files, it's possible and I have a patch ready.

• Like 1

Isn't that an argument for replacing them with more intense/multiple "hits in one sound" though? That they will "get lost" among the battle sounds. Either way, the main argument for me is that currently it's very annoying to hear a ton of the same sound being played at the same time, it doesn't sound good, and while it certainly gives a sense of chaos it's more of chaos in the "I don't want to listen to this" way than "this sounds like a battle" way ;)

Very much agree. I also think there need to be some automatic dynamic volume control, where the volume of each sound decreases as there are more of them being played simultaneously.