Application - Timothy Hamlett

thamlett

Position: Anything.

Do you understand that Wildfire Games is a non-commercial project, work for 0 A.D. is volunteer, and work is done for free?
Yes

Do you agree to distribute all your work for Wildfire Games under Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license?
Yes

Name:
Timothy Hamlett
Email:
tjh.hts@gmail.com
Availability:
Around 12 hours a week, depending on my schoolwork load
Home-schooled High School Student

Skills and Experience:
I have a moderate skill level in strategy games, and I refurbish computers with my older brother. I have no experience in C++ or Javascript, but I enjoy working with audio (my family is very musical) and video (less experience here).
Motivation:
I want some experience working behind the scenes with games, and this is the game is spend the most time on. I want to also learn about the development of a video game.
Personality:
Moderately serious, but I have a good sense of humor.
Short Essay:
How and when did you find out about Wildfire Games? What motivates you to be a part of the project? What do you seek to gain in being a part of Wildfire Games?
I discovered 0 A.D. while browsing through SourceForge. I really want to learn and gain some experience doing something other than computer refurbishing.
Interests and Hobbies:
Computer security, building and refurbishing computers, military/security tactics, and of course computer gaming.
Staff:
No.
Community:
TWiT's Know How community on Google+, although I mostly just read and watch the show.
Favorite Game:
My four favorite games are Paintball2 by Digital Paint, Defense Zone 2, Warzone 2100, and of course my overall favorite 0 A.D.
Work Examples:
Nothing applicable.

So, what are you willing to help with? If you want to help with balancing, I suggest you join the #0ad IRC channel on Quakenet and show you're a good player. Most good players have some words to say when it comes to balancing the game (those discussions also happen there).

If you want to help out with art and/or programming, you can just search for a task and start working on one. Don't be afraid to ask us for comments or help. Either here or (a faster way) on IRC.

• Like 1

Really the things I think I would be best at are as follows:

1. Doing research on new civilizations or trying to verify information already had.

2. Testing prospective versions and/or patches to see if they work on different platforms (being a computer refurbisher I have access to lots of different systems)

3. Doing some sort of management/website/forum work (i.e., writing the background stories for civilizations or background stories for specific units)

Otherwise I'll tackle the ticket list, although there isn't a whole lot there I can do.

Currently, we're still working on the units of the ptolemaics (although most research has been done for it), and we've also started researching on the selucids. There are pinned topics in the Art Development forums where you can share references and stuff for those civs.

The selucids are already available in Atlas for the SVN version, so it's already more or less decided which units they will have. Though since there's no art for that faction yet, it's easy to change.

For testing new versions and patches, I highly suggest you install the SVN version. This makes sure, when you report a problem, it's a recent one. Most problems get solved in a week or two. Our development team uses quite a range of different hardware to work on by itself (going from intel GPUs to high end GPUs, different OS...). If you want to test patches, you can take a look here: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/report/15 . That's a list of all patches ready for review. It's best to read the description of the patch, including all comments, and if the patch is applicable for you, you can apply it and report back if there are problems with it, or if everything works fine. Some patches are also still in the review queue because of other problems (code quality, not the wanted behaviour ...). Those will need to be handled by the team anyway.

• Like 1